Surnames/tags: Kangaroo_Island South_Australia Australian_Convicts
This is a sub-Project of the Australia Project.
This is the Project Page for Kangaroo Island Early Settlers
|The Bells' House|
Kangaroo Island is important because it was the place Europeans first settled in South Australia. The South Australian Company made their first base there before deciding it was not suitable as the site of a capital city, and removing to the Adelaide Plains. The Island has a small population, but a rich history!
|Rescued Crew of the Montebello.|
The goal of this project is to put Kangaroo Island's Early Settlers on Wikitree. We'll start with the earliest documented settlers and work forwards in time. Where possible we'll add some information about their lives on the Island. This may include creating Free Space Profiles
Find Kangaroo Island people here.
Acknowledgement of First Nations
This Project acknowledges that although indigenous people did not occupy Karta/Kangaroo Island at the time Europeans settled there, the arrival of colonists disrupted the lives and culture of First Nations people of the mainland, and in some cases crimes against indigenous locals were committed by European settlers. We acknowledge that sovereignty over what we call South Australia was never ceded. See also these resources
Please add your name to the list if you'd like to help.
- Added a Free Space Page Cape Borda Lighthouse including the story of the wreck of the Fides. Discovered a link between the Daw family of K.I. and the naming of Daw Park/Daws Road. Also created an index to the book "Kangaroo Island Past and Present" published by the Kingscote CWA in the 1950s. The index includes people, places and ships mentioned in the text (and one horse). See it here: Index to K.I. Past and Present
- As a Data_Doctor any KI connection found I will add their profiles to the Category Page
- Currently working on the Bates families
G2G and Tags
Use the Tag Kangaroo_Island when posting on the G2G Forum. You could add the Tag to your G2G Profile if you also want to see these posts in your feed. Use G2G to tell us what you're doing, or ask for a task.
Our project is attracting interest from the K.I. community. I've had a note about a mistake I made in a person's data. This kind of interest is very welcome. If you hear from anyone, always ask if there's any information or images they can add to the profile. The Kangaroo Island Pioneers Association website is a great source of interesting information and stories. Have a look!. Someone's story might inspire you to do their profile on WikiTree.
Here are some of the tasks that need to be done first.
- Decide if we want to continue having sub-categories under the Kangaroo Island, South Australia Category. See News#3 on G2G for discussion. This question is still unresolved.
- Using historical lists to identify Early K.I. settlers who don't yet have Profiles on Wikitree eg Kangaroo Island Pioneer Association David has taken this on. Thanks David!
- Adding Category:Kangaroo Island, South Australia to Early Settlers not already marked thus. This will bring them all into one list.
- Ensuring all information on Project Profiles is sourced.
- ↑ http://ehlt.flinders.edu.au/projects/counterpoints/Proc_2002/A9.htm#_ftn51
- ↑ http://www.utas.edu.au/library/companion_to_tasmanian_history/A/Aborigines%20on%20Kangaroo%20Island.htm
- ↑ http://austhrutime.com/karta_island_of_the_dead.htm
- ↑ http://www.apscience.org.au/projects/APSF_06_7/apsf_06_7.htm
Ships' Passenger Lists
Free Genealogy Sites for SA
- Lonetester I found this had a number of disconnected links - Anne
Kangaroo Island History
- Kangaroo Island Pioneers Association particularly their page "Useful Links" https://sites.google.com/site/kipaview/useful-links
- southaustralianhistory.com, K.I. History
- Ebook Early Experiences of Life in South Australia and an extended colonial history by John Wrathall Bull
- News#2 Kangaroo Island Early Settlers Project (Not a Question) Sep 15, 2017.
- News#1 Kangaroo Island Early Settlers Project. (Not a question) Sep 1, 2017.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On 14 Dec 2018 at 02:50 GMT Robin (McLeod) Robinson wrote:
On 6 Nov 2018 at 10:37 GMT Anne (Turner) Tichborne wrote:
On 31 Oct 2018 at 22:21 GMT Julie Collins wrote: