Surnames/tags: Keil one_name_studies
This is a One Name Study to collect together in one place everything about one surname and the variants of that name. The hope is that other researchers like you will join our study to help make it a valuable reference point for people studying lines that cross or intersect.
- Metrics as of 02Aug2021:
|It is important to note that the numbers provided are estimations only and do not reflect unique records for unique individuals; a single person may be reflected in multiple records. In the case of Ancestry, these numbers also include the number of images and family trees the name appears in.|
- Connect the unconnected KEILs on WikiTree.
- Discern whether there are certain geographical locations where KEILs have "congregated". i.e. Do many of them originate from Prussia? Czech Republic?
- Add profiles for the following:
- Angela Keil - Oral History Interview at the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum.
- Charles K Keil - National Museum of American Jewish History.
- Edward Keil - regarding the Keil Kraft model making kits.
- Ernst Keil
- Esther Keil - Argentinian actress
- Heinrich Keil -
- There's mention of husband and wife Henrich & Anna Margaret Keil and their daughter Gertrude arriving in Pennsylvania 05Jan1808 aboard the ship Three Sisters (Captain Haasloop) that departed from Tönning, The Netherlands. I have not found any other documents for this family attributing dates, etc. so have not created a profile for any of them yet. // Names of Foreigners who took the Oath of Allegiance to the Province and State of Pennsylvania 1727-1775, William Henry Egle editor, Edwin K Meyers, State Printer, 1892, page 666.
- Heinrich Keil - Heinrich Keil and the Origins of Kiels Mountain and diddillibah Queensland, Australia - another Family History.
- Martha Keil - "Maistrin" (Mastress) and Business -Woman - Jewish Upper Class Women in Late Medieval Austria
- Wendy Keil - pancreatic cancer activist
- Conrad Kiel - Kiel Ranch in North Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
- Geographic locations with the name
- + Kiel (German: Kiel), city in northern Germany. (Kiel Fjord, German: Kiel Fjord, Bay of Kiel). The city of Kiel was founded in 1233 as Holstenstadt tom Kyle by Count Adolf IV of Holstein.
- + Kiel, Missouri, United States
- + Kiel, Wisconsin, United States
- American Historical Society of Germans from Russia - has a 2017 Family History List online. There are several Keils in there. Family Histories are generally not considered a good primary source, but they sure can provide some good clues for content for which there are good sources.
- Ancestry.com's Keil Family History
- Genealoger - - Family History and Genealogy Services. Might be useful.
- Genealogy.com - Forums seem a bit more recent than RootsWeb.
- German Heraldry - Not sure this is at all relevant, but it is a place to start for someone looking into this for the name Keil.
- House of Names
- International Society of Genetic Genealogy Wiki - The ISOGG's description of a one-name study project
- Keil disambiguation, English Wikipedia
- Keil (Familienname) - German Wikipedia
- Kiel disambiguation, English Wikipedia
- The Peerage - has some entries for Keil von Bündten and Keil.
- RootsWeb - Check to see if it's worth perusing their bulletin boards for KEIL hints. Is there a current replacement for this? All correspondence seems to be from 12+/- years ago.
Variants (and Similar Names), Origins, Meanings
Officially on WikiTree, we can only have 2 variants in addition to the "original" proposed KEIL. What follows is an incomplete list of variants.
- GEIL - German - 'mischievous', 'boisterous' - Dictionary of American Family Names
- KEIL - German - 'wedge', 'wooden peg' - One unsourced description I saw said that ancient armies would often march in the shape of a wedge. My Dad said it referred to a wedge shape of land. Altered spelling of GEIL per Dictionary of American Family Names
- List of KEIL profiles on Wikitree
- List of G2G entries tagged KEIL
- Orphaned KEIL profiles on WikiTree
- Unsourced KEIL profiles on WikiTree
- Unconnected KEIL profiles on WikiTree
How to Join
Please contact the project leader Susan Keil or post a comment to the right. If you have any questions, just ask. Thanks!
- Calling all KEILs and Friends ! Oct 5, 2018.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: One Name Studies WikiTree and Susan Keil. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)