Surnames/tags: Kernohan Kernahan Carnochan
About the Project
The Kernohan Name Study project serves as a collaborative platform to collect information on the Kernohan name. The hope is that other researchers like you will join the study to help make it a valuable reference point for other genealogists who are researching or have an interest in the Kernohan name.
As a One Name Study, this project is not limited to persons who are related biologically. Individual studies can be used to branch out the research into specific methods and areas of interest, such as geographically (England Kernohan's), by time period (18th Century Kernohan's), or by topic (Kernohan DNA, Kernohan Occupations, Kernohan Statistics). These studies may also include a number of family branches which have no immediate link with each other. Some researchers may even be motivated to go beyond the profile identification and research stage to compile fully sourced, single-family histories of some of the families they discover through this name study project.
Also see the related surnames and surname variants.
How to Join
To join the Kernohan Name Study, first start out by browsing our current research pages to see if there is a specific study ongoing that fits your interests. If so, feel free to add your name to the Membership list below, post an introduction comment on the specific team page, and then dive right in!
If a research page does not yet exist for your particular area of interest, please contact the Name Study Coordinator: Eleanor (Holmes) Colson for assistance.
Once you are ready to go, you can also show your project affiliation with the ONS Member Sticker:
Here are some of the current research pages included in the study. I'll be working on them, and could use your help!
- Name Origins
- Kernohan Name Study Statistics
- Kernohans on Griffith's Valuation
- Kernohan Tax Records for Antrim, Ireland
- Kernohan Vital Statistics for Antrim, Ireland, before 1850
- Descendants of Andrew Kernohan b. 1750 as determined by Ray Hawkes
- Kernaghan One Name Study on Guild of One Name Studies
Currently there is not a DNA research group for Kernohan. It would be wonderful if we could start one on Family Tree DNA or even gedmatch.
- Eleanor (Holmes) Colson - Kernohan from Scotland to County Antrim to Ontario, Canada to Michigan
- Stephen King - Andrew Kernohan born ca 1810 in Ireland. Descendants went to New Zealand; possibly married to Elizabeth Anderson
- Ray Hawkes - Tracing the Kernohans found in Antrim, Ireland especially from Andrew Kernohan born 1750
Related Surnames and Surname Variants
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Eleanor Colson and One Name Studies WikiTree. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)