Surnames/tags: Vann, Southern, McSwain, Weatherford, Hall Barnes
KEZIAH The name Keziah is used under many Surnames within my family's tree this page is set up to clear up the confusion being created by the many who edit profiles on Wikitree and hopefully clean up the profiles in my lineup, below I am listing the Keziah profiles that I am researching and providing data on. I believe the best way to list the Profile Name is by using the parent's Surnames [Keziah Weatherford Vann] herein you have the mother's Surname [Weatherford] and the father's Surname [Vann], any Surname through marriage are reflected in the profile as well as the children.
1. KEZIAH-1: Keziah [Weatherford] [Vann] Father-John CHEROKEE* Vann b. 1744, Running Water Village, Tennessee, d. 1805 Mother-- Agnes Weatherford b. 1747, par. Martin Weatherford and Mary Jane Daughter: Husband: Martin Maney 1748-1830
2. KEZIAH-2: Keziah Vann [Vann] Father-John Joesph Vann b. 1735, Running Water Village, Tennessee, d. 1815 par. Lt. Edward [Ned] Vann and Mary Liews Barnes Vann Mother-- [Mary] Christiana Vann b. 1746-1835 Husband: James Southern Daughter: Martha Southern
3. KEZIAH-3: [Keziah McSwain [Vann] Father-9-AVERY VANN b. 1768, Spring Place, Murray Co. Georgia, d. Bef Dec 1871, Mayes County, Oklahoma, m. Abt 1796, In Vann's Valley, Below Rome, Georgia Margaret McSwain b. 1775, d. 1857 different Vann father and mother
- = these identifying titles are being used to distinguish amongst the many same or similar names used throughout Vann's heritage; Cherokee, Trader, Interrupter,
SOURCE: Southern Style http://www.southern-style.com/powhatan_vann.htm
The following Wikitree KEZIAH profiles:
A. "Keziah French Vann" [Maney] Vann
B. "Keziah Weatherford" [Southern
c. "Keziah McSwain
She was born about 1763 in South Carolina and her father John "Cherokee" [VANN-151] and mother Agnes [WEATHERFORD-103] both have Native Indian bloodlines
that she was of Native American Indian heritage.
Keziah married about 1782 to Samuel Southern (b: c1765 Greenville Co, SC d: 1830) and their children included ...
- Seteniana (or Settene) Southern, b: 01 Jan 1789; res: NC; d: 1879; m: William "Buck" WILLIAMS, b: Aug 1787; d: 03 Nov 1871
- Lydia Southern, b: 1793 SC; d: 1863; m: 25 Apr 1814 St.Helena Parish, LA to Wyatt HALL, Sr., b: c1787; d: 1853
- William Southern, b: c1795 SC; d: 26 Aug 1893; m: Nov 1848 Mrs. Mary "Polly" (DICKENS) Ashley=Ashly, b: 03 Apr 1807
- Lewis Moses Southern, b: 1796 SC;   d: bef.1850; m: 15 Mar 1821 Lawrence Co, MS to Elizabeth HALL, d: bef.1830
- Diadamy Southern, m: 17 Jan 1822 MS to Samuel McLENNAN
- Roseanna Southern, m: Joel RANDELL
- John Southern
- Martha "Patsy" Southern, b: 1800 SC; d: aft.1860; m: Dawson Burgess O'BANNON, b: 24 Feb 1780; d: 02 Jun 1853
- Daniel Southern, b: c1812 MS; d: 1864; m: Mary Ann WOODS, b: 12 May 1823 TN; d: 03 Jul 1900
- Rachel Wrizopa "Rispey" Southern, b: c1813 MS; d: aft.1870; m: Robert WOMACK, Sr., b: c1808; d: 08 Jul 1865.
Sometime about 1805 they moved their family from South Carolina to Mississippi.
Her son William Southern married Mrs. Mary Ashley on 19 Nov 1848 in Mississippi  and she was living with them on the 1850 census. She does not appear with them on the 1860 census.
Her daughter Lydia applied for Indian Status. 
Her parents are unknown, but some suggestions have been ...
- - Bolivan HALL, b: 1738; m: Jane Martin ? OR
- - Ripsey HALL, b: 1744; d: 06 May 1815 Murray Co, GA; m: Choctaw Indian Princess ?
NOTE: [Hall] Records reflect that the daughter of Keziah Southern was the one that married into the Sirname [Hall] not Keziah Southern. :: Linda P. Southern b.1783 South, Mississippi, United States d..1863 Castor Landing, Caldwell, Louisiana, United States Married: on 25 April 1814, in St Helena, Louisiana
- Wiatt Hall b. 1787 Wilkes, Georgia, United States1852
Covington, Mississippi, United States, Source: "Pedigree Resource File," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/2:2:36WW-D2Y : accessed 11 January 2020), entry for Lydia P /Southern/, cites sources; "Debbie's Roots" file (2:2:2:MM6S-6LC), submitted 13 June 2017 by DeborahSnyder2 [identity withheld for privacy]. Wikitree member Randy Holder believes the maiden surname "Hall" is an error and thinks the Indian heritage for this Keziah comes from parents Agnes Weatherford and John Vann.
NOTE: Keziah [Vann] has a sister of record Rebecca Vann [Guinn] who married David Guinn in Carter, Tennessee accourding to DNA results said Rebecca Vann is my biological Aunt
He claims that his own personal DNA suggests relationships to the surnames Weatherford, Vann, Barnes, Odum, Wilkerson, Martin and Moore. His direct connection could come down through any one of those surnames. As we all know a modern DNA test cannot provide the actual full name of an ancestor who lived 200 years ago. That must be done through genealogical documentation - and Randy can provide NO documented proof of his assertions. He simply quotes references to Ancestry® trees suggest.
Informed Wikitree users and all genealogists know Ancestry® trees are NOT evidence or proof of a biological relationship. This has been more than enough mention of a unproven, disputed reference, so If Randy's line is important to any readers, please look to his own profile or family tree for more details or contact him directly.
- ↑ 1830 Census of Copiah Co, MS; image#741 as Southron
- ↑ 1840 Census of Copiah Co, MS
- ↑ Mississippi, Compiled Marriage Index 1776-1935 for William Southern, m: 19 Nov 1848 Copiah County, MS to Mrs. Mary Ashley.
- ↑ U.S., Native American Applications for Enrollment in Five Civilized Tribes (overturned) 1896 on ancestry.com citing Bureau of Indian Affairs, Muskogee Area Office; Record Group#75; NARA#M1650; roll#1; Tribe: Cherokee; application#590 for Lydia P. Southern.
- 1850 USA Census of Gallatin, Copiah County, Mississippi; citing ancestry.com citing NARA# M432_371; image#17; p215B; family#84 included ...
- 52 Southern, William; b: c1798
- 43 Southern, Mary; b: c1807 GA (wife)
- 84 Southern, Keziah; b: c1766 SC (mother)
- 19 Ashley, George; b: c1831 AL
- 09 Ashley, Mary A.; b: c1842 AL
- 07 Ashley, Matilda F.; b: c1843 MS.
- 1860 USA Census of Harrisville Post Office, Beat#5, Simpson, Mississippi; on ancestry.com citing FHL#803591; NARA# M653_591; p142; dwelling#33; family#33 included ...
- 63 Suthern, William; b: c1797 SC; occ: farmer
- 53 Suthern, Mary (wife)
- 18 Ashley, Marium
- 16 Ashley, Maddelade
- 05 Ashley, Mary Janne
- 01 Ashley, John F.
- 03 Ashley, Jeramiah.
- Find A Grave: Memorial #83513628 for Keziah Southern, b: 1766 MS; d: 1850 Copiah Co, MS; as burial: Unknown; spouse: Samuel Southern.
- U.S., Find A Grave Index 1600s-Current for Keziah Southern, b: 1766 MS; d: 1850 Copiah Co, MS.
- Login to request to the join the Trusted List so that you can edit and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)