Location: Leesburg, Lake County, Florida, USA
Surnames/tags: society societies
- The mission of Kinseekers GenSoc is to promote knowledge and interest in genealogy, provide educational programs and workshops, provide members opportunities to share their knowledge, and assist members to further their genealogical research.
- We are genealogy adventurers, family history hunters, determined archive searchers.
- We present educational programs and provide opportunities to discuss genealogical findings, challenges, and best practices. Whether a beginner, hobbyist, or seasoned researcher, check us out and see what we have to offer. Memberships and donations support our programs and operating costs. There are benefits to membership.
- We post reminders, upcoming events for our society and others, and unique tools and websites on our Facebook page, so give us a Like and follow along:
- Due to the pandemic, our meetings are virtual until further notice. Most meetings are via Zoom but some presenters prefer GoToWebinar. Please see the Kinseekers.org website for the latest details and registration links. All times are in the Eastern time zone currently in use in Florida.
- Revisiting Ancestry® Tools for DNA Analysis: An Update
- Saturday, 9 April, 10:30 – 11:45 ET. Zoom link opens at 10:15
- Presenter: Debbie Smyth is a professional genealogist, speaker, and consultant.
- Explore the latest Ancestry® tools for helping you analyze and evaluate DNA matches. Learn about the more common tools and some lesser-known ones.
- Special Event - WWII’s Fallen: Telling Their Stories
- Saturday 23 April, 1:30 – 2:30 ET.
- Presenter: Don Milne, Founder and Director of Stories Behind the Stars
- 9 Apr (10:30 – 11:45) Ancestry DNA w/ Debbie Smyth
- 14 May (10:30 – 11:45) Storytelling from Sanborn Maps w/ Jane Neff Rollins
- 11 June (10:00 – 12:45) Researching Reinvented Ancestors w/ Beth Stahr
- Military Records Special Interest Group (SIG) led by Kristin Barcomb
- Monday, 4 April, 1:30 – 2:30
- This monthly group is for anyone researching a military ancestor. Ask questions, share discoveries, discuss research ideas. Questions may be submitted ahead of time via the email address on the website. This month’s SIG discussion topic is Military Naturalizations (WWI & WWII). We’ll discuss the history and records related to these wartime naturalizations.
- Family Tree Maker Special Interest Group (SIG) led by Roger Goddard
- Wednesdays, 13 & 27 April, 10:00 – 11:00
- This monthly group is for users of the Family Tree Maker software or those interested in learning about it. Bring your questions, share tips, and help each other get the most out of this amazing software.
- (NOTE: This is a discussion and sharing group. Also available is a 14-week Course that started 7 January).
- 14 week Family Tree Maker (software) Course:
- Learn the ins and outs of Family Tree Maker. Led by Roger Goddard
- Weeks 7 & 8 - 1 & 15 Apr, 10:00 – 11:30
- WikiTree Special Interest Group led by Debi Hoag
- 18 April, 1:30 – 2:30
- Bring you questions and learn about WikiTree.com using ideas from the first page of the New Member How -To section. This month’s SIG discussion topic is on how to use WikiTree’s ‘Genealogist to Genealogist’ (G2G) Forum
- (NOTE: This is a discussion and sharing group. A 7-week "Intro to WikiTree" session is offered once a year, usually in October.)
- Login to request to the join the Trusted List so that you can edit and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)