About the Project
The Kitney Name Study project serves as a collaborative platform to collect information on the Kitney name. The hope is that other researchers like you will join the study to help make it a valuable reference point for other genealogists who are researching or have an interest in the Kitney name.
According to my own basic research, the Kitney name originates in north to mid-Kent, and is a corruption of the name 'Kidney'. I suspect that the very small geographic area in which the name exists is due to a single source for the surname.
Also see the related surnames and surname variants.
How to Join
To join the Kitney Name Study, first start out by browsing our task list to see if there is a specific study ongoing that fits your interests. If so, feel free to add your name to the Membership list below, post an introduction comment on the specific team page, and then dive right in! Alternatively, please contact the Name Study Coordinator: Ralph Allison for assistance.
Once you are ready to go, you can also show your project affiliation with the ONS Member Sticker:
These are the tasks which members of the study can contribute to:
- Determine the source of the KITNEY surname.
- Add your KITNEY ancestors to the tree.
- Connect all KITNEY members to the main tree.
- Make sure all KITNEY profiles are sourced.
- Add the template and/or category to people with the KITNEY surname (completed up to Wanda Elaine (Kitney) Gorman in the surname list).
- If you are a male KITNEY and have had your Y-DNA tested, enter your test information on Wikitree
- If you are descended from a KITNEY and have had your Autosomal DNA done, upload your data to Gedmatch and enter your test information on Wikitree so we can confirm relationships with triangulation.
- Consider adopting one or more orphaned KITNEY profiles.
- Ralph - Study Co-ordinator
- Julie Weller
Helpful Wikitree Links
- Kitney Name Study Category - Lists all people and pages related to the name study.
- Kitney Map - Interactive map which plots profiles in this name study.
- Kitney surname list - A list of all the Kitneys on Wikitree.
- Kitney DNA Connections
- Unconnected Kitneys - These Kitneys are not connected to the main tree.
- Unsourced Kitneys - These Kitneys are in need of sources.
- Recent Activity - Changes made to Kitney profiles in the last week.
- Kitneys on G2G - See recent questions tagged with Kitney on G2G.
- Suggestions - Automatic suggestions to improve Kitney profiles.
Related Surnames and Surname Variants
None as yet.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: One Name Studies WikiTree and Ralph Allison. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)