Location: New York
Surnames/tags: Kuhn Kuntz new_york
Koon and Coons families of eastern New York
- Full title (recognized by some sources): Koon and Coons families of eastern New York : a history of the descendants of Matthias Kuntz and Samuel Kuhn (two distinct families) who came with the Palatine immigration from Germany and settled on the Hudson River in New York in 1710
- By William S. Coons. Also: Kate Koon Bovey, Leon Clark Hills, and C. Carroll Koon
- Published by Tuttle Publishing Co., Rutland, Vermont, 1937. xxiii, 480 p.
Subject matter is primarily the descendants of two men who were early Palatine immigrants to New York:
- Mattheis or Matthias Kuntz (Part I of the book)
- Emigrated with his family from Bishchmisheim near Saarbrüken, Germany, with the large Palatine immigration of 1710 and settled near the present village of Germantown, New York, on the Hudson River. He had at least thirteen children from two marriages. Descendants lived in New York, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Pennsylvania, California and elsewhere. Descendants spell their name Koon, Coons, Kuntz, Kunz, etc. Also includes the Bonesteel, Bovey, Maxson, Smith and other allied families.
- Samuel Kuhn, Sr. (Part II of the book, starts on page 271)
- Born ca. 1650-1655; married Catharina (Miller?). Samuel was listed among the adult male Palatines who immigrated in 1710. He possibly lived near Elizaville. He probably died before 1715. Descendants lived in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, and elsewhere. The authors say "we have found this family name spelled in old records in about thirty different ways, as follows: Cane, Coan, Koan, Coehn, Koehn, Caen, Koen, Caend, Coene, Koene, Cone, Coon, Koon, Korn, Coone, Cooun, Couan, Coun, Cowen, Cuhn, Kuhn, Kuhne, Cun, Kun, Cune, Cuyn, Cuyne, Gun, Kunn, and Kunne with no sound of 'z' or 's.'" Includes the Bois, Decker, Link, Wheeler and other allied families.
- Citing this source:
- * Coons, William S. ''[[Space: Koon and Coons families of eastern New York|Koon and Coons families of eastern New York]]''. Rutland, Vermont: Tuttle Publishing Co. 1937.
Available online at these locations:
- Family Search library catalog entry and free digital download of full text: https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/220138?availability=Family%20History%20Library
- Hathi Trust, search access only: https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/009184342