Location: 46th Street North and 42nd Avenue in Saint Petersburg, Florida
In 1898, John Constantine Williams, founder of Saint Petersburg, Florida, donated one acre at the corner of what is now 46th Street and 42nd Avenue North in the Lealman area north of Saint Petersburg so that a schoolhouse could be constructed for the local children.
It was named Lealman School, and later Lealman School Number 1 when it was replaced ten years later, because of it's location in the Lealman area north of town. The Lealman area was named by Peter Demings, another Saint Petersburg founder, who brought the railroad to the now Pinellas County in 1888, enabling settlements throughout this western part of Hillsborough County. Peter Demens named the area Lealman by adding that name to his railroad map because farmer Elsa Beasley Lealman had constructed a railroad stop somewhere between the now 54th Avenue North and 38th Avenue North. Deming's Orange Belt Railroad would stop there to help ship Mr. Lealman's produce,
Lealman School Number 1 was a small one room school house. As the area grew more populous, a larger school was needed. In 1898, the schoolhouse was auctioned off, and possibly moved to a property nearby. A newer school with two classrooms and a partion in between was built for $840.
We do not have a definitive list of the children who attended this school, but likely they were the same families who later attended Lealman School Number 2 with a few additions. Because it started 10 years earlier, we should find older siblings of students who attended Lealman School Number 2, and in some case,, the same children at an earlier age.
We are looking at the following families to see if they lived nearby and had children of the appropriate ages to attend Lealman School Number 1:
- LEALMAN - the family who the local area was named for, and who had two children who attended Lealman School Number 2.
- HARRIS - there were likely two famllies named Harris - The children of Samuil Harris and the children of William Beasley Harris. Their relationship to each other is not yet determined.
- MOHR - the family of Martin Conrad Mohr, a poultry farmer about a mile from the school who also had children at the Mistletoe School
- ARCHER - the Archer family who had children who attended the Mistletoe School
- NASH - the Nash family who had numerous children, including several who attended Lealman School Number 2.
Lealman School Number 1 was located on Disston Ridge in western Hillsborough County, Florida, and was replaced in 1908, four years before it's location became part of the new Pinellas County formed January 1, 1912.
Lealman School Number 1 actually had two predecessor schools with different names, but also located on Disston Ridge. They are:
- The Mistletoe School - 1892 to 1894 named for the foliage found on the property
- The Gold Dust School - 1894 to 1898 named for the orange grove next to the school
- "The Golden Anniversary of Pinellas County Schools", Pinellas County School District. Largo, Florida. 1962
- " A Tradition of Excellence: Pinellas County Schools - 1912-1987". Pinellas County Schools. Edited by Pat Costrini. Largo, Florida. 1987.
- Login to request to the join the Trusted List so that you can edit and add images.
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)