Surnames/tags: Kansas Wagner Mcghee
- 1861, January 29 : Kansas was admitted into the Union as a free state under the Wyandotte Constitution.
- 1861, May 25 : Great Seal of the State of Kansas was established by a joint resolution adopted by the Kansas Legislature.
- 1861, June 3 : First Kansas regiment called to duty in the American Civil War.
- 1863 : The Union Pacific Eastern Division established in Kansas.
- 1863, August 21 : William Quantrill leads Quantrill's Raid into Lawrence destroying much of the city and killing over a hundred people.
- 1863, October 6 : Battle of Baxter Springs, sometimes called the Baxter Springs Massacre, a minor battle in the Civil War, occurs near the modern-day town of Baxter Springs, Kansas.
- 1864, April : War between the Indians upon frontier settlers in Kansas and Nebraska.
- 1864, July 28 : Seventeenth Kansas regiment is the last to be raised during the Civil War.
- 1864, October 25 : Battle of Marais des Cygnes in Linn County, Kansas.
- 1867 : Joseph G. McCoy builds stockyards in Abilene, Kansas and helps develop the Chisholm Trail, encouraging Texas cattlemen to undertake cattle drives to his stockyards.
- 1869 : Union Pacific Eastern Division renamed the Kansas Pacific.
- 1871 : Wild Bill Hickok becomes marshal of Abilene, Kansas.
- 1885 : Coronado, Kansas, established.
- 1887, February 27 : shoot-out with boosters — some would say hired gunmen — from nearby Leoti leaves several people dead and wounded.
- 1877 : Nicodemus, the first all-black town in Kansas, is founded by African-American migrants from Kentucky.
- 1879 : large number of former slaves move from Southern states to Kansas.
- 1881, February 19 : Kansas becomes the first U.S. state to adopt a Constitutional amendment prohibiting all alcoholic beverages.
Labette County, Kansas Timeline
Origin of Name: Tradition asserts that the name is from the French words la bette, meaning 'the beast.'; the story goes that Labette Creek, the second largest stream in the county, was named by a group of French trappers after an encounter with a skunk; the county then took its name from the creek. Other sources, however, state the stream and the county are named for Pierre Bete [also spelled Baete or Beatte], a French-Canadian trapper and trader who married into the Osage tribe and lived along the Neosho River in the 1830s and 40s. Pierre Bete served as a guide for Washington Irving during the author's tour across the prairie in 1832. Labette County was organized on March 10, 1867, by Larkin McGee; William Blythe; Finchel Monroe; David Hopins; Austin T. Dickerman; Samuel Collins; Jabez Zink; Charles Bent; C. H. Talbot; Ba. A. Rice; Elza Craft; David Lowe; J. S. Waters; C.C. Clover; J. F. Newlon; and George W. Kingsbury. Containing the cities of Chetopa, Edna, Bartlett, Labette, Mound Valley, Altamont, Oswego and Parsons, the county was named for the Kiowa Indians The notorious Bender family of northwest Labette County and the discovery of their victims in 1873 are all significant events. The Methodist church in Chetopa was founded in 1858 by Reverend J. B. Barnaby, a circuit rider. The first county fair was held either in 1872 or 1875 in Oswego. The first school district was organized in Oswego in 1867. Interesting Kansans from this county include Clyde M. Reed, Sr., who served as Governor of Kansas (1929-1931) and as a U. S. Senator (1939-1949). Bishop Waldon Perkins, a lawyer-politician and graduate of Knox College in Galesburg, Illinois, came to Labette County in 1869. He was appointed a probate judge the day following his arrival in the county, and served all but 30 days of the remainder of his life out of public service. He died while a U. S. Senator in 1891 having served since 1883. Others serving in elected offices from the county include Governor Payne Ratner (1939-1943), Congressman Perkins (see above, 1883-1891), and Myron George (1950-1950). William Atkinson served as a Justice of the Kansas Supreme Court in 1904. Edythe Squier Draper, author of short stories and children’s books, was a columnist for the Parsons Sun.  
Labette County Townships
- Cities & Townships
The County was named for a creek which runs through the county; the creek had been named for an early trader, Pierre LaBette. The County has Oswego as its seat and the County was created February 26, 1867. The County is located in the southeast area of the state. 
- Mound Valley
- Canada Township
On January 23, 1867, Alexander and Milton Duncan located on section 7, township 34, range 18, and were the first settlers in what is now Canada township. A little later in the season Jonathan Hill settled on section 38, Gresham Gokey on section 29, and sometime during the year John Nellis, J. Roberts, George Mays and Lewis Scott settled in the township. John McNeal came in October, 1868. I do not find the names of other settlers prior to those who came in the spring of 1869. During this year quite a large immigration came into the township, among whom may be mentioned H. Hedemann, D. M. Pitt, J. F. Walford, H. A. Linn, Wm. Walters, David Ross, Howard Phenis and sons, John Phillips, Mrs. Mary Price, Ola Olson. Mr. Phenis and his sons had a shingle-mill, in 1869, on section 32, from which they supplied the settlers in that neighborhood with shingles for their cabins. The first child born in the township was Milton Duncan, son of Alexander Duncan, on February 12, 1868. The first death was that of an old man named Munk. In the absence of any record I take the statement of Mr. Dickerman, who was then County Clerk, that, of the nine precincts into which the county was divided, in March, 1867, by the Commissioners appointed for its organization, the southwest part was called Pumpkin Creek. No election was held therein at the first election for county officers. When the Commissioners met and organized, ou June 5, 1867, they made an order for the organization of the two west precincts, in which it was provided that "Canada township shall include 33 & 34, range 18, and the west half of town 33 & 34, range 19, and as far west as the county line." This is the first official record we have relating to this township, or giving it a name. It was not until October 21, 1867, that a voting-precinct was designated for the township; at that time it was fixed at J. M. Duncans. On November 21, 1867, the Commissioners made a new order dividing the county into townships, in which it was ordered that "Canada township, No. 9, shall include town 33 & 34, R. 17 & 18." On April 6, 1868, the north half of township 33, in ranges 17 and 18, was attached to Osage township. The first election in the township was held November 5, 1867, at which J. R. Shippey was elected trustee, J. M. Duncan and G. W. Mays, justices of the peace ; John Nellis and John Scoville, constables. The record does not show who the opposing candidates were; but the vote was a tie on justices between Mr. Mays and some one else, and Mr. Mays was successful in the casting of lots for the office. By an order made April 14, 1869, township 35, ranges 17 and 18, was attached to this township.  
- Chetopa (city)
Founded on April 18, 1857, Chetopa was originally an Osage Nation village named after Chief Chetopah, and later the site of the "Golden Spike" of the South, where the MK&T ("Katy") railroad won the exclusive right to cross the Indian Territories (later, Oklahoma). An 1833 massacre of Kiowa Indians by the Osage Indians is probably where the Little Osage chief Chetopah (Tse To pa or Four Lodges) acquired his name. Chetopah was one of the ten signers of the Drum Creek Treaty in June of 1869. One of the Little Osage, he held the name of Chetopa (Tse To pa) which means four lodges. He led a war party which killed every man, woman, and child in four lodges of Kiowa Indians. Their heads were left in brass buckets as a warning to refrain from hunting in Osage territory. The community began as an Osage village, named after its chief Chetopah, whose name in the Osage language signifies "four lodges," was an advocate of peace, the leading chief of the Little Osage tribe, and one of the chief counselors of the Osage Nation. In 1847 a trading post to exchange goods with the Osage Nation was established here by Larkin McGhee. By the time of McGhee's arrival there were three other Euro-American families plus two families with a Euro-American husband and a Cherokee wife at Chetopa. There were also many Osage there. Chetopa was the site of a September 18, 1861 battle between the 6th Kansas Cavalry under the direction of James G. Blunt and pro-slavery raiders led by John Allan Mathews, whose wife was an Osage and was culturally identified with the Osages. The first post office in Chetopa was established in April 1867. In 1880, Postmaster J.M. Cavaness petitioned the removal of the ending “h” in the original spelling to become Chetopa. Chetopa Is located in the south east corner of Labette County two and a half miles north of south line and twenty six miles from the east line of the State. The city is on the line of the Missouri, Kansas and Texas railway, seventy -three miles from Fort Scott and fifteen miles from Oswego, the county seat. Chetopa has one of the prettiest locations of any town in the southwest, being upon the west bank of the Neosho river one and one half miles below the junction of Labette Creek and Neosho, whose waters wash the whole eastern boundary of the city. The bank of the river at this point is high and abrupt immediately at the waters edge, but extends back beautifully undulating, making most accessible manufacturing points. Chetopa was located as a town in 1867 by Dr. George Lisle, Geo. Hanson and C. W. Doudna, and in 1868 the land now occupied by the town site was duly entered. In 1870 Chetopa was incorporated as a city of the third class, and in 1871 re-incorporated as a city of the second class, having mayor and council. The original proprietors of the town, who constituted the town company, were Dr. Geo. Lisle, Col. W. Doudna, Col. K S. Goss, Watson Stewart, Dr. J. B. Torbett, Geo. Hanson and John Secrest. During the first year of the organization as the town these enterprising gentlemen presented choice of lots to any persons who would erect buildings of a prescribed character, and in this way a splendid class of improvements were at once secured. From the location of the town improvements went forward very rapidly, and in a remarkable short time became an excellent point for supplying a great scope of country. In June, 1870, the Missouri, Kansas & Texas railway was completed to this joint, and remained the terminus for about a year. The division houses of the road are located here. Since the completion of the railroad to this point there is not a city in the State that has had a more permanent growth and withall a very rapid one, being but three years old and containing 2500 inhabitants, with a full quota of business houses in all the numerous branches, having at this time (July 1871) one hundred and fifty seven firms and individuals engaged in business. This city enjoys an excellent jobbing trade, supplying a groat portion of the Indian Territory and Northern Texas and also an extensive point for trade in Texas and Cherokee cattle, having all facilities, being supplied with two good banks which meet all demands for exchange and negotiations. Chetopa enjoys extra manufacturing advantages. There are already established an extensive Planing mill (the most extensive in the State) with Furniture, Sash, Blind and Door Factory attached, with a capacity for working to advantage fifty hands. Two largo Flouring Mills, one with a capacity of grinding 600 bushels of wheat per day. One Foundry and Machine Shop, owned and operated by John Tarrence, (who has facilities for casting iron house fronts, and all classes of light and heavy work). One good Brewery, one Agricultural Implement manufactory, two Saw Mills, three Wagon manufactories and one Pottery. The facilities for manufacturing are inexhaustible, having an abundance of good timber, coal and water, and every inducement will be given for the location of manufacturing establishments here. Good pine timber is abundant fifty miles south of here and the railroad brings it direct to our door. RAILROADS. In addition to the already completed M. K. & T. R. R., there are several projected routes. An extension of the Missouri River, Fort Scott & Gulf R. R. from Columbus to Chetopa seventeen miles which will be built the present season; and the Chetopa branch of the Atlantic and Pacific Railroad via Baxter Springs to Chetopa west on State line. These roads completed will make Chetopa one of the most desirable business points in the west. There is now one large frame building for a graded school, and two brick buildings will be completed the present season, There are four churches completed, all very substantial and ornamental buildings belonging respectively to the Baptists, Presbyterians, United Presbyterians and Methodists. The Catholics have funds and will erect a church the coming season. The Masons and Odd Fellows have each a flourishing organization and are rapidly growing, each having a fine hall. Is beautiful rolling prairie interspersed with a good growth of timber along the streams. The soil is a rich black loam, very deep and productive of all grains, fruits, &c. The country is generally quite thickly settled for many miles in every direction, nearly every quarter section of land being occupied by actual settlers. As a stock country it cannot be surpassed, having everything necessary for raising stock at little cost. The Missouri, Kansas and Texas railway Company owns large bodies of lands convenient to the city which is offered at very low prices and upon the most reasonable terms. Chetopa is destined to become a very important point in the great cattle trade, as a great deal of buying, selling and shipping is already done here. Two Banks, (one by W. B. Ketcham & Co., the oldest banking house in the city, enterprising gentlemen enjoying a wide acquaintance and good banking facilities, and the Chetopa Savings Bank, just established with a capital of $50,000,00, officered by Chas. H. Safford, Pres., S. F. Fisher, Sect, and Geo. S. Newman. Cashier,) render very excellent commercial facilities to drovers, cattle dealers and resident business firms and are a great inducement for the establishment of business. A first class weekly newspaper the Southern Kansas Advance is published hero, edited by Col. John W. Homer, a gentleman of reputed ability. This paper is a live exponent of the country's advance, advocating the public welfare and the growth and development of the country. The National Hotel is the pride of Chetopans, being a large three story building, very tidily and completely finished and a most excellent place to stop. The proprietors, Messrs. Miller & Haldeman are genial good-hearted gentlemen, well qualified for the business. Col. W. Doudna, Real Estate Agent, is one of the original owners of the town, establishing a business when the town was an infant. He handles the lands of the M. K. & T. railroad company, also a large amount of land for private parties. Persons visiting Chetopa will find maps, charts, &e., in his office for their own free use and will find Col. D. a gentleman in every respect. Messrs. Clark & Furguson have a large and extensive stock of Drugs, Medicines, &c., and are jobbing a large amount of goods. There are many live energetic firms engaged in the many branches of trade of whom we would like to speak but space forbids. The central location of Chetopa is bound to build her up to a very prominent position as a jobbing point, and persons seeking investment or homes are cordially invited to visit Chetopa and note her numerous advantages, Unimproved land is worth from four to five dollars per acre, and improved land from six to twenty dollars per acre, according to location and improvement.   
- Elm Grove Township
The first party to locate in Elm Grove township was William Bowen, who took his claim on sections 3 and 10 early in the spring of 1867, the old settlers say, although no one whom I have met is able to fix the date of his settlement. Probably the next settlers in the township were R. P. and Amos Totten, who located on section 10, as it is thought, in the summer of 1867. A few parties made settlement here in 1868. Madison Sharp came in June and located on the northeast quarter of section 13, although he did not bring his family until the following February. At the same time Thomas Sharp located on the southeast of the same section. In 1869 many more families came in. C. M. Keeler located on same section with William Bowen, Daniel McIntyre on the southwest quarter of section 12, Joseph Gray on the northeast quarter of section 3, A. J. Moler on the south west quarter of section 13, James Woodville on section 12, in township 35. Wesley Faurot came July 29th this year, and settled in the extreme southeast corner of the township ; Harvey Jones also settled in the southern part of the township. In July, C. B. Pratt took the northwest quarter of section 3, in township 35, and opened thereon the first store in the township ; he was appointed postmaster of the postoffice at that point, which was called Ripon. In October Dr. D. P. Lucas settled on the northwest quarter of section 12, in township 35 ; and during the season Thomas Summerfield settled in the same locality, on the southeast quarter of section 9. Probably still more families whose names I have not mentioned came in this year. The settlement of the southwestern part of the township did not commence until the spring of 1870. In June, Peter Shufelt found a small house on the southwest quarter of section 20 which had been put there by some one who had left. He took possession of this and made claim to this quarter, afterward paying the man for his house. Harrison Sword settled on the southwest quarter of section 30, A. J. Lots on the southwest quarter of section 7, Peter Rhodes on section 18, H. H. Lieb and R. W. Lieb also in that vicinity. During the season Owen Wimmer and sons located on section 29, but did not bring their families until the spring of 1871; Alfred Elliott located on the northwest quarter of section 30. In 1871, Junius, Peter and Lewis Goodwin settled on section 31. By the division first made, what is now Elm Grove township was a part of Canada and Hackberry townships. After November 21, 1867, until its organization by itself, it formed a part of Hackberry township only. On July 27, 1870, W. H. Bowen and fifty-five others having petitioned therefor, the Commissioners made an order for the organization of townships 34 and 35, in range 19, into a municipal township, with the name of Elm Grove ; and on July 29th appointed the following officers: D. McIntire, trustee; John Lane, clerk; John Freeman, treasurer; Charles Ballard and S. Bentley, constables; and recommended W. H. Bowen and T. H. Noslen for appointment as justices of the peace. This township had the misfortune not to be named in the apportionment of 1871, and it was not until 1873 that it was made a part of any legislative district. CEMETERY. In the fall of 1869 James M. Woodfill died, and was the first person to be buried in the cemetery then started on section 12, in the south part of the township. His wife Sarah soon followed him, and was the second to be interred in this cemetery.  
- Fairview Township
As far as I have been able to learn, but two parties had settled in this township prior to 1866. Francis Wall settled on the southwest quarter of section 10, and Mr. Allen on the northwest quarter of section 13, in the fall of 1865. During the year 1866 a number of parties, came into the township. Early in the spring William Springer settled on the southwest quarter of section 2, M. V. B. Coffin on the northwest quarter of section 3, and William Cline on the northwest quarter of section 4. James Logan came in March, and located on the northwest quarter of section 11, and James M. Logan on the southeast quarter of the same section. In May, Charles Wadsack settled on the northwest quarter of section 12, and Frederick and Ernest Wadsack in the same vicinity. In June, John Richardson bought Mr. Springer's claim for S200, to which he moved from the claim taken in Liberty township, and where he has since made his home. Among those who made settlement during 1867 were W. S. Park. James Dike, S. H. Spurr, and Charles Kelso. Mr. Spurr bought J. M. Logan's claim, and the latter settled on the northeast quarter of section 16. M. V. B. Coffin was the first blacksmith in the township ; he opened a shop at his home soon after settling there in the spring of 1866. He had been a soldier with Kit Carson, was a good workman, and had a good run of business. He died in January, 1867; Mr. Peters bought his tools. In 1867 J. M. Logan constructed a wooden mill for grinding cane, of which he and his neighbors raised quite large patches. He made a large amount of sorghum molasses. In the original division of the county, what is known as Fairview township formed a part of Labette. On the application of A. S. Spaulding, Frank Williams, J. R. Sweet and some fifty other electors, the Commissioners, on April 26, 1870, made an order organizing township 33, range 20, into a municipal township with the name of Fairview, and fixing the voting-place of the township at the office of Dr. A. S. Spaulding, on section 21. The following officers were appointed to serve until April, 1871: I.W. Patrick, trustee: W. W. Babbitt, clerk; A. S. Spaulding, treasurer; W. H. Umbarger and John Robinson, constables. A. S. Potter and James Paxton were recommended for appointment as justices of the peace. 
- Hackberry Township
A few parties settled in this township in the fall of 1865. James Moss, Robert Hastings and Mr. Cawthorn located on section 1, Mr. Henderson on section 12, and Mr. Chandler near by. A few more parties came in the following year, and among them Mr. Redfield, who settled on the northwest quarter of section 1, Luman Reed on the northeast quarter of section 25, and Robert Gill on section 22. Many settlers came in 1867, commencing early in the spring and continuing to arrive during the summer. In June, Gilbert A. and J. T. Cooper located on the south half of section 14, and about the same time Alexander Bishop settled on the northwest quarter and Jerry Strickler on the northeast quarter of the same section; William Newcomb settled on section 11, and Henry G. Pore on section 12. In July, George W. Franklin and L. C. Howard located on section 2; William Sullivan, Robert Johnson, Abner DeCou, Benjamin Hiatt, James Sloan, Walter Pratt and Caleb Phillips came sometime during the year. It is possible that some of the parties named came in 1866 instead of 1867. Elder Cooper settled on section 8 early in 1868, and was the first Baptist minister in that vicinity. In October, William Hannigan bought the northwest quarter of section 9 from Cal. Watkins, who had taken it sometime previous thereto. About the same time Martin Jackson, Aaron Young and Mordecai Ramsey came in. In February, 1869, D. C. Constant settled on the southeast quarter of section 18 ; on March 9th, G. W. Jenkins on the northeast quarter of section 33 ; and in July, J. L. Jones on the northwest quarter of section 5, township 35. In the first division of the county, Hackberry township included township 34, range 20, and the east half of range 19. By the new division, on November 21, 1867, it was ordered that "Hackberry township, No. 5, shall include town 34, R. 19 & 20." On April 14, 1869, township 35, lying in these ranges, was attached as a part of the township. The first election in the township was held at the time of the election of the first county officers, April 22, 1867, but there is no record of the result. At the election held April 7, 1868, the following officers were elected: G. W. Franklin, trustee; William Johnson, clerk; H. G. Pore, treasurer; L. C. Howard and D. M. Bender, justices of the peace; D. Day and William Hiatt, constables; and William E. Pratt, road overseer. 
- Howard Township
The first settler in what is now Howard township was John Kennedy, who located on the southwest quarter of section 12, township 35, range 17, in 1867. The settlement of this township fairly commenced in 1869, and among those who located here that year are the following: W. H. Godwin, on the northeast quarter of section 3; Clinton Hawley, on section 2; Jesse McClintock, on the northeast quarter of section 11; E. R. Lee, on the southeast quarter of section 33; Lee Leverage, on the southwest quarter of section 33; W. S. Getzendaner, on section 13, range 17; H. H. Long, on the northeast quarter of section 5. In March, 1870, E. B. Baldwin located upon the northeast quarter of section 2, and during the same season settlements were made by William Blackford on the southwest quarter of section 4, Scott on the southeast quarter of section 24, B. W. Harwood on the northwest quarter of section 10, George McKee on the southeast quarter of section 10, David McKee on the southwest quarter of section 14, J. M. Hart, on the northeast quarter of section 11, Dana H. Fuller and Aldin Fuller on section 4, Banks Hall and John W. Hall on section 13, D. Smallwood on section 1, Frank Pfiester on section 7. On March 5, 1871, W. J. Millikin took the southeast quarter of section 22, and sometime during the season, some early in the spring and some not till fall, settlements were made by P. B. Clark on the northwest quarter of section 24, Samuel Smith on the northwest quarter of section 12, James Bennett on the northeast quarter of section 20, Walter Bennett on the northwest quarter of section 29, William Reasor on the southeast quarter, John Reasor on the northwest quarter, and George H. Goodwin on the northeast quarter of section 27. James Steel took the southwest quarter, William Steel the northwest quarter. Boon Thompson the southeast quarter, and J. K. Russell the northeast quarter of section 23; John Vance the southwest quarter and Christian Lieb the northeast quarter of section 24; Lincoln Clark, and William and John High section 1, W. M. Mabrey located on the southwest quarter of section 11, in range 17. The territory of which I am now speaking was a part of Canada township until after the spring election of 1872. At that election the opposing candidates for justice of the peace were J. M. Hart and H. H. Long, both residing in what is now Howard township. The vote between them being a tie, lots were cast resulting in the choice of Mr. Hart, who thereby became the first officer of the new township. On April 5, 1872, E. B. Baldwin presented the petition of himself and eighty-one other electors asking the Commissioners for the formation of a new township, embracing all the territory in ranges 17 and 18 lying south of the line running east and west through the middle of township 34, leaving three tiers of sections in township 34 in the old township, and putting three tiers of sections in township 34 and all of fractional township 35 in the new township. This petition was granted, and the order of the Commissioners made creating said territory into a municipal township, which they named Howard in honor of the County Clerk. Thereupon the following officers were appointed for the township thus organized : E. B. Baldwin, trustee; William J. Millikiu, clerk; Joseph Buckley, treasurer; J. J. Breeding, constable. Mr. Buckley failed to qualify, and the Commissioners soon thereafter appointed William Blackford treasurer in his place. There have been several places in the township at different times where small stores have been conducted. Capt. J. W. Hall started a store on his premises in the summer of 1870, which he conducted only a short time. W. H. Godwin and F. W. Noblett kept a small stock of groceries at the Dora post-office. The town of Willeyville, afterward called Deerton, while it existed was in this township, and the business houses in operation there have been spoken of in connection with that name. John McClintock and Nettie Smallwood, on December 22, 1872, were joined in marriage, being the first couple married in the township, and the marriage of H. F. Jones and Mary McClintock followed some two or three weeks later. Among the first births in the townsliip were sons in the families of W. J. McClintock and D. H. McKee, in the summer of 1870, and on August 15, 1870, a daughter, Julia A., to Colonel Baldwin and wife. A son of G. B. McKee was injured by falling into a well, from which he died; this was the first death in the township, and I understand that B. W. Harwood, who was murdered on August 15, 1872, was the second person who died in the township. 
- Labette Township
The first settlement of this township as now constituted commenced in the fall of 1868, but there were only a few who came before the spring of 1869. The first settlers were scattered along Bachelor creek. Of these may mention Leveret Wood, who came in the fall of 1868, and settled on the northeast quarter of section 1; the next spring John Singleton settled on the northwest quarter of section 1, and James H. Martin on the northeast quarter of section 2; Millard Sargent on the northwest quarter and his brother on the southwest quarter of the same section ; Edward C. Sanford on the northwest quarter of section 3, Major Hope on the southeast quarter, and Calvin S. Tracy on the southwest quarter, of section 36. All of these parties were located prior to the middle of July, 1869, at which time John J. Miles settled on the southwest quarter of section 34. With the opening of 1870 many new parties came into the township, of whom I may mention Thomas Mahar and his sons, who settled on section 21. The settlement of this township was nearly completed when James Beggs, on March 16, 1871, settled on the southwest quarter of section 19. In the original division of the county into municipal townships, made by the Commissioners prior to the first election in the spring of 1867, the central portion of the county, embracing what is now Liberty, Labette, Mount Pleasant and Fairview townships, was made to constitute the township of Labette. The first official record we have of the formation of this township is an order of the board made November 21, 1867, in which Labette township is numbered 6, and is declared to include townships 32 and 33, in ranges 19 and 20. It is possible that there was an election held in the township in the spring of 1867, and probably one was held in the fall of that year, but as to both of these the record is silent. The first election of which we have any record was held on April 7, 1868. At this election H. P. Reeding was elected trustee, M. H. Logan clerk, J. F. Molesworth treasurer, E. Reed and J. P. Peterson justices of the peace, G. W. Springer and T. M. Abbott constables, and Sam Lewis road overseer. At the election in April, 1870, the following officers were elected: Newton Connor, trustee; J. L. Williams, clerk; Calvin Tracy, treasurer; G. P. Peters and G. J. Connor, justices of the peace; William Hanson and W. F. Hamman, constables. Within the next two months all of the territory, excepting township 32, range 19, which had theretofore been embraced in Labette township, was detached therefrom, and formed into other municipal townships. All the officers last elected resided within the territory thus detached, which left Labette township without any officers or organization. The last of June or fore part of July, 1870, a meeting of the citizens was held on the premises of John Alspaw, on the southwest quarter of section 15, and the following persons selected for township officers: Calvin Tracy, trustee; John Caldwell, clerk; William Collins, treasurer; William Hamman and Silas Rich, justices of the peace; John J. Miles and George Tracy, constables. It was decided to ask that the name of the township be changed from Labette to Mound. On July 11, 1870, the action of this meeting was presented to the Commissioners. The request for a change of name for the township was refused, as the board considered they had no authority to change the name of the township. The officers selected at the citizens' meeting were appointed in part, and some of the offices seem to have been left vacant.   
- Liberty Township
The settlement of this township commenced early in the spring of 1866. The first person whom I have been able to trace to this township is David C. Lowe, who settled on the southeast quarter of section 34, and about the same time James Springer on the northeast quarter of the same section, and William Springer jr. on the southeast quarter of section 27. After these the following settlements were made: James Shelledy, John Y. and James Lewis, Latham, Enos Reed, James F. Molesworth, William Keiger, and Ed. Mercer. In June, A. W. Richardson bought from Wm. Springer jr. the claim on which he had settled, paying there-fore $400. Mr. Springer had at the time some four or five acres broken out and planted to corn and garden truck. Rev. G. W. Richardson at the same time bought from Mr. Shelledy his claim to the northwest quarter of section 27, paying therefor 850. In December of this year G. P. Peters settled on the southwest quarter of section 36, and John Elliott on the southeast quarter of the same section. In the fall of 1867 Dr. W. J. Conner made his settlement in this township, and commenced the practice of his profession. On July 4, 1867, the first celebration in the township was held, on the claim of David C. Lowe. Wagon-boxes were turned upside down for tables; Samuel Cherry read the Declaration of Independence, and Elihu Greene delivered the oration. The drinking water was cooled with ice which G. P. Peters procured at Oswego. The first business in the township was a store conducted by William and John Conner. It was located on section 35, which had been selected for the site of Neola, and was opened in the spring of 1868. Early in 1867, G. P. Peters commenced running a blacksmith shop at his home, and in the spring of 1868 built a shop at Neola, on section 35. There was no other business aside from farming until Labette was started, In 1870. Township 32, range 20, originally formed a part of Labette township, and was detached therefrom and organized into a municipal township on May 20, 1870, on the petition of Enos Reed and fifty-one other citizens. The following officers were appointed: Samuel Lewis, treasurer; William R. Williams, clerk; R. W. Campbell, constable; Samuel T. Cherry was recommended for appointment as justice of the peace. The Commissioners made an order on July 27th, on the petition of T. D. Bickham and sixty-eight other residents of the township, restraining stock from running at large in the night-time for five years, excepting during the months of January and February. In 1868 the Methodists commenced holding services at the house of James F. Molesworth, on section 8; the ministers in charge of the Oswego circuit preached here.   
- Montana Township
There seems to be no dispute about Samuel J. Short being the first white settler in this township. It is said that he had located here before the war, and was driven off by the rebel Indians, and I am disposed to think that this is correct; but I shall only refer to his settlement in the summer of 1865. He came, probably the latter part of July, or early in August, and located on the southeast quarter of section 22, on the east side of the Neosho. During that fall a number of parties made settlement in the township, and of these I have learned the following names: Granville Reeves and William White came there the fore part of October, and located on section 34. On October 18th, Charles E. Simons and his brother Benjamin F. Simons arrived, and located, the former on the southwest quarter of section 4 and the latter on the northwest quarter of section 9. Charles Simons at once went back and brought his family, arriving with them on his claim November 18th. John and William Olford and Andrew Hammond also arrived in October. In November Nathan D. Tower settled on the southwest corner of section 27, but the next summer moved to the southeast quarter of section 30. Samuel Dunham located on section 29 ; Nelson Shipley on section 28 ; Charles Stewart on section 27 ; Samuel Coffield on section 27 ; Samuel and Jonathan Wilcox on section 16, the former on the east and the latter on the west side of the river ; John Modisett on section 4. In December John Halford settled on the southwest quarter of section 16, and Mr. Lee on section 33. On December 24th Julius S. Waters arrived, and camped on Mr. Simons's claim, but soon thereafter located on section 33, in Neosho township; subsequently, however, he came back, and was for a long time a resident of Montana township. It will thus be seen that at the close of 1865 the township had quite a body of settlers, most of whom became permanent residents, and several of whom are still residing there. Of those who came in 1866 I shall only attempt to mention a few. Dr. D. D. McGrath settled on the southwest quarter of section 4; Nehemiah Sage on the northwest quarter of section 8 ; Uriah Davis on the southwest quarter of section 7 ; Frank and Albert Brockus on the northeast quarter of section 20 ; R. S. Cornish on the southwest quarter of section 21; Robert Haggard on section 30; Bergen Van Ness on the northeast quarter of section 16 ; Alfred W. Jones on the northeast quarter of section 17. In December, John S. Anderson located on the southwest quarter of section 8 ; Vincent Anderson on the southeast quarter of section 6 ; and Terry Anderson on the northeast quarter of section 7. SAW-MILL. About the first of February, 1867, the Anderson brothers brought a saw-mill and located it upon C. E. Simons's claim, on section 4, and by the middle of the month had it in operation. From the lumber sawed here it is claimed the first frame house in the county was built. SORGHUM MILL. At quite an early day R. S. Cornish put up a sorghum mill on his place, and for a number of years has carried on quite an extensive business in making sorghum for himself and his neighbors. He also raises a great many melons. Montana township was laid off as it now exists at the time of dividing the county into precincts prior to its first election. There is no record of the formation of this township prior to November 21, 1867, when in the division of the county into townships it was ordered, that "Montana township No. 2 shall include town 32, range 21." George Bennett, who resided in Montana township, was appointed justice of the peace June 8, 1866, by the Governor, and was the first civil officer in the county. I can find no record in any way referring to its officers for 1867, but it is probable A. W. Jones was its first trustee. At the election held in April of 1868, C. B. Woodford was elected trustee; T. M. Brockus, clerk ; D. Shultz, treasurer; Henry M. Minor and James Livesay, justices of the peace; John Livesay and Jonathan Wilcox, constables; and A. Warlow, road overseer.   
- Mound Valley Township
1866. There were two early settlers in this county who would be in Mound Valley township except for the fact that in 1870 more than two miles of our territory was given to Montgomery county. On June 3, 1866, Mr. Rutherford settled on the northeast quarter of section 4, in township 33 of range 17, and on December 10, 1866, R. M. Bennett, afterwards County Treasurer, settled on the southeast quarter of section 5, in the same township. The first white people to make settlement in Mound Valley township as now constituted were the families of Mr. McCormick and Mr. Courtney. If anyone was there before them, he left no trace of his habitation. Joseph McCormick, with his wife Martha and his son Joseph C., and in company with them John M. Courtney and his wife Mary, came from Danville, Ill., and on July 24, 1866, took their respective claims in this township. Mr. McCormick settled on parts of sections 23 and 24, township 32, range 17, where he made his home until his death, on December 10, 1871, his wife having died the March preceding. Mr. McCormick lived in his wagon until he could build a log house, which he completed in about two months. He soon brought on a few goods, with which he traded with the Indians for their buffalo meat and such other things as they had to dispose of that he could use. Mr. Courtney settled on a part of section 26, township 32, range 17, which he improved and on which he lived till he moved to Cherryvale, where he now resides. John McMichael came in September, 1866, and settled on the same section as Mr. Courtney. In November, 1866, Eli Sparks settled on the southeast quarter of section 18, township 32, range 18. 1867. Green L. Canada settled on the northeast quarter of section 17, township 33, range 15, January 12, 1867. William Jones and John M. Stigenwalt came February 20, 1867. Mr. Jones settled on the section with Mr. Courtney and Mr. McMichael, and Mr. Stigenwalt settled on the section with Mr. Sparks, where he lived on a well-improved farm until August 25, 1892, when he died from the effects of a kick by a horse, received the day before. John W. Claspell came in September, 1867. Samuel C. Hockett near that time settled on section 18, together with Mr. Sparks and Mr. Stigenwalt, while his daughter, Josie Hockett, took a claim north of him, on section 7, in Osage township. 1868. J. G. Penix settled on the northwest quarter of section 25, township 32, range 17, on April 8, 1868, where he lived for fifteen years, made a good farm, and is now in Cherryvale, enjoying the fruits of his industry. D. S. Muncie took the southwest quarter of section 25, township 33, range 18, on which he built, in 1869, a one and one-half story frame house, 16x24 feet. The lumber for this he hauled from Chetopa. This was the first frame house in this part of the township. In 1870 Mr. Muncie sold this farm to J. H. Tibbits. Mound Valley township was originally a part of what afterward became Osage and Canada townships. It was not until June 13, 1870, that, upon the petition of Henry Rohr and some fifty other residents of its territory, the Commissioners made an order for the organization of four tiers of sections lying north and the same number lying south of the line between townships 32 and 33 in ranges 17 and 18, into a municipal township with the name of Mound Valley. The following officers were appointed for the new township: Josephus Moore, trustee; Alexander Honrath, clerk; J. M. Richardson, treasurer. At the same time, on the petition therefor, the order of the Commissioners was made restraining stock from running at large in the night-time for the term of five years. On July 28, 1870, Jonas Parks was appointed constable, and S. C. Hockett was recommended for the appointment of justice of the peace.  
- Mount Pleasant Township
W. F. Hamman was the first settler in this township. He erected his house upon the northwest quarter of section 2, in April, 1869. Soon thereafter Mr. Moray located upon the northeast quarter of section 11. In July, E. A. Wait and his brother A. H. Wait settled on section 12. and Henry C. McClelland on the southwest quarter of section 14. A little later in the season the northwest part of the township was settled. Benjamin H. Greer, George Greer, James Armstrong and Lewis C. Hill were the first settlers in this part of the township. In the fall of 1869 A. W. King, of Osage township, commenced preaching at the houses of Benjamin Greer and Lewis Hill. Services were kept up at private houses with more or less regularity until the Pioneer schoolhouse was built, when they were held there. They were principally conducted by Methodist preachers in charge of the Timber Hill circuit. BIRTHS, MARRIAGES, AND DEATHS. While Mr. Moray and his wife were camped upon their claim above referred to, before they had their house erected, the first child in the township was born to them. On October 1, 1869, W. F. Hamman lost his son Henry, which was the first death in the township. The first marriage in the township was that of George R. Greer and Mary A. Hill. Mount Pleasant township was originally a part of Labette township. On ^lay 20, 1870, G. W. Moray and sixty other electors petitioned for the organization of township 33, range 19, into a municipal township, which petition the board granted, and named the township Mount Pleasant. Thereupon the board appointed the following officers: H. C. McClelland, trustee; Walter Downing, clerk; Henry Story, treasurer; Florence Hamman and C. E. Woodin, constables. Ezra A. Wait and John Hamblin were recommended for justices of the peace, and they were afterward appointed. 
- Neosho Township
The settlement of this township commenced in the summer of 1865. I have found no one who knows the date of the first settlement, nor even who the first settler was. Much of the information from which this account is made is derived from James W. Galyen, who settled on the south half of section 8, township 31, range 21, December 25, 1865. When he came there were already along the river several families, all of whom had come that fall and winter; so that it may be safely said that the settlement of the township did not commence prior to September of that year. It is probable that the first settlers in the township were a company who came from Texas, composed of a Jones family and a Cox family, each containing quite a number of individuals, and some others. They seemed to have been on their way north, without any very definite point of destination in view, and were camping along the river in this township, allowing their stock to feed, when they heard of the proposed treaty with the Osages and concluded to locate there. Among those who were located when Mr. Galyen came were: Jesse Frye, on section 9; a man by the name of John Buck, on the east side of the river; Newton Lowery, on section 5 ; and Mr. Spriggs, on section 16. Mr. Spriggs had a pole shanty on his claim at this time, but never brought his family here, and sold his claim to Asa Rogers. Craig Coffield and Clark Colfield located on section 23, in November; Holland and Baldwin were located on section 4. At the close of 1865 it is probable that there were not to exceed a dozen families in the township, and some of these were only there for the purpose of holding the claims until they could get something out of them and then leave. In 1866 many more settlers came in, and much was done toward improving the claims taken. Messrs. Brown and Sampson R. Robinson brought a saw-mill from Bourbon county and located it on section 4, in the fall of 1866, and soon had it in operation. This was the first mill in operation in the county, and from it Mr. Gaylen got the first lumber that was made, which he used to make a floor for his cabin. All the cabins up to this time had nothing but dirt floors. Of the settlers who came about this time I may mention William Logan, who came early in 1866. He ran a blacksmith-shop at Jacksonville; was the first trustee of the township, having been elected at the election in April, 1867, and was elected County Commissioner in the fall of 1867, and figured quite largely in the local affairs in that part of the county. Nathan Ames came in latter part of 1866, and settled on sections 16 and 17, and at once became one of the leading spirits in the new settlement. Messrs. Pringle and Marquad settled on section 21 the same fall. The first school in the township was taught by Mrs. Abigail Ames, wife of Samuel Ames, in their own house on the northwest quarter of section 14, in the spring of 1868. That fall E. H. Taylor commenced teaching school in a house on section 5, and finished in the log school-house which the citizens turned out and constructed that fall. In this school-house, as soon as it was finished, a literary society was organized, of which Mr. Taylor was president, and at the meetings nearly all the people in that part of the county were present. T. D. G. Marquad and Mary Buck were married, it is said, in April, 1866; if this is correct, it must have been the first marriage in the county after the war. In May, 1866, Mr. and Mrs. Hampton had born to them twins, named John and Mary. There has been no change in the boundary of the east tier of townships from the time of their organization. They were all laid off by the Commissioners appointed for the organization of the county, prior to the first election. There is no record of their organization prior to November 21, 1867, when the whole county was laid off into townships, at which time it was declared, "Neosho township No. 1 shall include town 31, R. 21." Two voting precincts have been maintained in the township almost from its organization — one on the east and the other on the west side of the Neosho. There is no record showing who were elected officers in April, 1867, but on October 23, 1867, the resignation of John W. Ankron as justice of the peace is accepted, and the record subsequently shows J. B. Graham to be one of the justices of the peace. On January 14, 1868, *'It is hereby ordered, that the office of township trustee in Neosho township be declared vacant, as the present holder of said office has been elected to a county office." This evidently refers to William Logan, who had been elected and qualified as one of the County Commissioners, and it is safe to say he was the trustee elected in April, 1867. On the day on which the office was declared vacant as above, Anthony Amend was appointed to fill the vacancy. For some reason which 1 do not know, no election was held in this township in April, 1868, and the following officers were appointed by the Commissioners: Anthony Amend, trustee; N. H. Hopkins, clerk; S. K. Robinson, treasurer; J. B. Thurman and William Fish, justices of the peace; John Summers and Noah Frye, constables; John Radfield, road overseer.  
- North Township
In the spring of 1866, a firm of millers at Iola sent some teams loaded with flour and meal down the Neosho, to sell to the settlers along the river. Two teams came into what is now Labette county, and on their return made such a favorable report of the county that several in that vicinity, and some connected with the mill, came down. Among these were Messrs. Carr, McBride, Wells, Ballentine, and Smith; the latter settled at the junction of the Big and Little Labette, and put up a small shanty. Mr. Ballentine paid Mr. Smith $60 for this claim, which took in most of the timber at this point. Just previous to this Zack Fultz had laid a foundation on a claim adjoining this on the east, and when the survey was made, the improvements of the two claims were found to be on the same quarter. Mr. Fultz paid Mr. Ballentine S200 for his improvements and got the claim. Mr. Ballentine then bought Mr. Hart's claim, on section 36, where he settled and made his home. Mr. Hart then moved over to the Labette, in Liberty township, just below the mouth of Bachelor creek. Fred Latham settled on section 27, and his father-in-law, Mr. Keys, upon a claim just west of the creek. About the same time William Tolen settled in the northern part of the township, and gave the name to a little stream, "Tolen Branch." In July, 1867, the following settlements were made: Albert Porter and W. H. Porter, on section 20; Wm. Fultz, on section 17; Abraham Cary, on section 18; John Kendall, on section 19. SAW MILL. In the fall of 1868 Moses Steel and his brother Len Steel brought a saw mill and put it in the forks of the Little and Big Labette, and had it in operation early in 1869. In June 1869, Abraham Cary brought from Lawrence the first reaper and mower that was had in this part of the county. Originally North township included its present territory and also the east half of what is Walton township, and on November 21, 1807, in re-forming the townships, the Commissioners ordered that '"North township No. 7 shall include town 31, R. 19, 20," and it continued with these bounds until Walton township was detached. There seems to have been no election held in this township in April, 1867, at the time when the first county and township officers were elected. On October 4th an order was made by the Commissioners for an election to be held for township officers in this township at the November election following. At this time the following officers were elected; Samuel Ballentine, trustee; William Scott and David B. Stevens, justices of the peace; James M. Clayton and D. W. Reed, constables; and John Steward, road supervisor. These were the first township officers. There is no record of either clerk or treasurer being elected at this time. On April 7, 1868, the following officers were elected: Samuel Ballentine, trustee; J. D. Keys, clerk; F. W. Latham, treasurer; William Porter and A. Medkiff, justices of the peace; William Fultz and Oscar Knowles, constables; and Z. Fultz, road overseer. In April 1869, H. Siugelton was elected trustee and Samuel Ballentine treasurer. By some arrangement made at the time, which does not appear of record, Mr. Ballentine, instead of taking the office of treasurer, was continued as trustee for another year. WALTON TOWNSHIP. The first settler in Walton township was Jefferson Davis, who came in June, 1866, and located on the southeast quarter of section 22. In August of that year the Weekly family, consisting of Luther, Perry, John, and Mary, located on section 17, and David Edwards on the northeast quarter of section 23. In the spring of 1867 Merrit Mason came, and bought the northeast quarter of section 17 from Mr. Weekly, and thereon made his home. In the fall of 1866, John Collins settled on the southeast quarter of section 36. Perhaps during these years there may have been a few other settlers along the Little Labette, but if so I have not learned the names of such. In 1869 the township received a large number of settlers. On May 1st Nelson Parker settled on the southwest quarter of section 27, and about the middle of May J. A. Jones settled on the northeast quarter of section 26 ; not far from the same time Alexander Abies and William Abies on the east half of section 29, George T. Walton on section 16, J. M. Gregory on section 26. W. A. Disch, E. P. Emery, S. R. Hill, John Parker, C. C. Kinnison and R. P. Clark were all there before the opening of 1870; and on February 5, 1870, 'S. B. Shafe'r settled on the southwest quarter of section 21. During the summer of 1869 quite a large number of Catholics settled in the northern part of the township, and have ever since been among the most thrifty and progressive settlers of that vicinity. Walton township was a part of North township as originally constituted. An order of the Commissioners was made on April 6, 1870, on the petition of
1870. Harvey Beggs settled on the southeast quarter of section 7, township 32, range 18, and after living on it several years moved away in 1871. Solomon Adams and family resided on the northwest quarter of section 6, township 32, range 18, till 1870, when he moved away. On the southeast quarter of this same section, Harvey Waymire made his home, and put up the first saw-mill in the township in May, 1869. In the fall of 1869 the engine with which the saw-mill was run exploded and killed Mr. Waymire and Mr. Worley. In 1867 many settlers came in, of whom I will mention a few. Felix Oliphant, John Oliphant, Frank Laberdy, John Frost, Thomas J. Vance, George Vance, W. H. Carpenter, J. H. Dienst, Jacob D. Dick, Henry Griffith and Alexander W. King are among those who that year helped to develop the county. Of those who came in 1868, F. M. Webb, W. H. Webb, J. H. Beatty, J. A. Newman, W. M. Rogers and Leroy F. Dick may be mentioned as active promoters of the general spirit of enterprise. William A. Starr, William Dick, J. L. Jaynes, John Carson, C. J. Darling, P. B. Darling, J. S. Masters, J. B. Swart, Jacob Warner, John Robinson, W. H. Thorne, G. W. Blake and W. W. Blake settled in 1869 and 1870, and each added a fair share to the props.
security and development of the township. Did I know all the settlers and were I acquainted with all the facts, others might probably be mentioned who are as worthy as any whom I have named, but these are named as a fair sample of those who first settled and developed this northwest corner of the county. Mrs. Elizabeth A. King, who with her husband, A. W. King, had settled on the southwest quarter of section 28, township 31, range 18, in June, 1867, taught the first school in the township, in the summer of 1868, as 1 am told by Mr. King, in their cabin on his claim. It was a free school for the few children then in the neighborhood. In the fall of 1867 the citizens met and put up a log house on Pleasant May's claim in the bottom on the west side of the creek, on section 5, in township 33, to be used for religious and other gatherings. In this the first Sunday school was organized, in the spring of 1868, with Pleasant May as superintendent. A. W. King was the first preacher in the township. He, with David Stanfield, J. S. Harryman, and Sheldon Parker, of the Methodist church, and J. L. Masters, of the Christian church, dispensed the gospel for several years over quite a portion of the new settlements in the western part of the county. The first store in the township was started in 1868, on the southeast quarter of section 33, township 31, range 18, by Luther Weakly and Frank Laberdy. In the fall of 1869, G. W. and W. W. Blake put in a stock of general merchandise in a building erected on the town-site of Timber Hill, which they continued to deal in till 1871. Dr. Lakius was the first in the township to offer his services as an aid to those desiring relief from physical ailments. He died a number of years ago, but his faithful mule, "Joab,'" it is said, still survives him. In 1869 Dr. Boutillier opened a small drug store, which he ran in connection with his practice.
COFFEYVILLE, KANSAS, Jan. 18, 1892.
Judge Nelson Case, Oswego, Kansas
I settled in Osage township, Labette county, in the autumn of 1866, in company with Harry Weymire and Isaac Vaucil. There was but one man before us, a Mr. May, who had built his cabin just before our arrival. Others followed fast, and when the spring of 1867 had opened we had quite a settlement on the Big Hill creek. In July, 1867, I was appointed a committee to visit the Commissioners at Oswego and procure an order for the organization of a municipal township, which was effected at once. I remember well that when I found the Commissioners' court, which I had some trouble in doing, the Commissioners were sitting astraddle of the sleepers in a hewed log house in Oswego. There was neither door, floor, nor windows, the house not being finished at the time.
The first child born in the township was Rolla Wood, son of Zachariah and Matilda Wood.
Our nearest postoffice was Rogers's store, where Chanute now is. We did our milling at Humboldt and hauled lumber from the Neosho. I believe I am the only survivor of the first settler of Osage township.
Very respectfully yours, Milton A. Buckles.
I am not quite sure whether the first name by which this territory was known was Timber Hill or Big Hill township. The Commissioners appointed to organize the county laid off the west part into two precincts, which Mr. Dickerman says were designated Timber Hill and Pumpkin Creek ; but no voting-place was designated in either of them at that time, probably for the reason that there was not a sufficient number of residents to justify the holding an election therein. The first official record we have relating to this township is the order of the Commissioners made June 5, 1867, declaring that "Timber Hill township shall include townships 31 & 32, range 18, and the west half of townships 31 & 32 of range 19, and as far west as the county line." In this order, as It appears in the original record, written on foolscap paper, the name of the township is first written Big Hill, and a line is drawn through "Big," and "Timber" is written above it. On July 1, 1867, it was "Ordered, that a precinct be established at Timber Hill at the residence of Mr. Frank Larberdy, in Timber Hill township, T. 31 & 32, R. 18 & 19." On October 21, 1867, it was "Ordered that Timber Hill township to be changed to Big Hill," and at the same time it was ordered that the voting precinct be changed from Mr. Larberdy's to Mr. Eli Sparks's. The first election in the township was held November 5, 1867, at which the following officers were elected: J. S. Blair, trustee; Isaac Van Sickle and Eli Sparks, justices of the peace; H. Waymire and J. Courtney, constables; Z. C. Wood, road overseer. On November 21, 1867, the Commissioners made an order more definitely fixing and somewhat changing municipal townships, by the provisions of which it was declared that "Big Hill township No. 8 shall include town 31 & 32, R. 17 & 18." On April 6, 1868, a petition therefor having been made to the Commissioners, they ordered "That the township commonly known as Big Hill shall hereafter be known in all official transactions as Osage township," and at the same time made an order establishing the south line of Osage township so as to include the north half of township 32, in ranges 17 and 18. On November 12, 1870, on the petition of Albert Allison and forty-nine other citizens for a division of the west tier of townships into four instead of three, forming a new township out of parts of Osage and Mound Valley townships, it was ordered that township 32, ranges 17 and 18, be detached from Osage and Mound Valley townships and organized into a municipal township under the name of Big Hill township, for which the following officers were appointed: William Johns, trustee; Albert Allison, clerk; S. C. Hockett, treasurer. I find no action of the Commissioners changing or revoking this order; nevertheless, the order was never acted upon, the officers appointed never qualified, and Osage and Mound Valley townships remained as though no such order had ever been made. On May 30, 1871, on the petition of William Dick and sixty-nine others, the Commissioners made an order restraining stock from running at large at night-time for a term of one year. On September 17, 1875, the Osage Pioneer Association was organized, with S. C. Hockett as president, Joel Bergess vice-president, W. A. Starr and Lindsey secretaries, and William Dick treasurer.  
- Oswego Township
1865. The first settlers in Oswego township were Austin T. Dickerman and Samuel W. Collins, who located on section 31, Mr. Dickerman on the northwest quarter, and Mr. Collins on the southwest quarter, on July 15, 1S65. In August, Jabez Zink settled on the northwest quarter of section 30, and in September Norris Harrer on section 19. The next settlement in the township was on what is now the town-site of Oswego, and is spoken of in connection with the history of Oswego city. In November, 1865, D. M. Clover and C. C. Clover rode ponies from Kansas City, crossing the Neosho at Trotter's ford, and arriving at Little Town about the middle of the month. There they found Clinton Rexford and N. P. Elsbree encamped, but no start yet made toward the erection of any building. They looked over the country for a few days, and on November 20, 1866, took four claims — one for each of them, and one each for D. W. Clover and John Clover. D. M. Clover's claim was located on the southeast quarter of section 10 ; C. C. Clover the northeast quarter of section 15. In taking his claim C. C. Clover had in view the establishment of a mill, and selected this place as affording the best water power he was able to find along the river. About the first of December they started back for their families, provisions, and material. D. M. Clover went only as far as Fort Scott, where he bought oxen and wagons, with which he returned to their claims and commenced getting out logs for houses. C. C. Clover went back to Iowa, where he purchased material for a saw-mill and laid in a supply of groceries and provisions. In November or December, 1865, about the time the Clovers located, W. C. Watkins settled on section 4, and two of the Kingsbury boys located in the southwest part of the township. 1866. In January, 1866, C. C. Clover and his brother John R. Clover, together with H. A. Victor and one or two others, started from Iowa for this county, having three wagons with two horses each. They left Oskaloosa, Iowa, about the middle of January, and got to Oswego about the 10th of February. They found snow all the way down to Kansas City, but from there down to Oswego had pleasant weather and good roads. D. M. Clover had already commenced the construction of houses on each of the claims. That season Mr. Clover commenced the coustruction of a claim across the Neosho at a point some distance above the present dam, and about where the river makes the bend to the east. He did not succeed in getting his mill in operation until the fore part of 1868. In the spring of 1866 John Clover went back to Iowa, and in July of that year again arrived in Oswego, having with him his father and mother, D. W. Clover and wife, James Stice, Wiley Jackson, Mason, John Burgess, and David Stanfield. They located in the southeastern part of the township, some of them on the river and some on the prairie. On August 6th Cloyd G. Braught settled on the southwest quarter of section 34, and in September Simeon Holbrook on section 3 and Randal Bagby on section 5, and in October Lewis W. Crain on section 4. On November 9th William Herbaugh and Moses B. Jacobs arrived ; the former located north and the latter south of the town-site. 1867. About November 1, 1867, C. Montague settled on the southwest quarter of section 5, and on November 11th F. Swanwick bought the claim of W. C. Watkins and located on section 4. On July 4, 1866, the settlers of this part of the county assembled at Oswego and held their first celebration. MILL. Capt. Clover had some of the machinery here for his mill in the spring of 1866, but it took so long to build the dam across the Neosho that he did not get it running till 1868. The first mill to be put in operation in the township was brought here November 9, 1866, by M. B. Jacobs, but he did not get it started till the spring of 1867. It was located on his claim, just south of town. It was thought better to haul the logs from the woods to the mill on the prairie and thus have the lumber where it could be procured easily, than to locate the mill in the woods and thus cause the lumber to be hauled out over the muddy bottoms. This township from the first has had the same territory as is now included within its limits. It was organized at the time of the division of the county into precincts for the first election. The first official record of its organization now to be found is the order of the Commissioners made November 21, 1867, dividing the county into townships, in which they ordered that "Oswego township. No. 3, shall include town 33, R. 21." The first officer in this township was C. H. Talbott, who was appointed justice of the peace by the Governor in the fall of 1866. He seems to have appointed Andy Kaho constable, to serve whatever process was issued by him. These were probably the only civil officers of the township prior to its organization. I have not been able to learn the names of all the officers who were elected in April, 1S67. D. W. Clover was one of the justices of the peace elected at that time, and probably J. F. Newlon was the other; Andy Kaho was elected constable. On April 5, 1868, the following officers were elected: R. W, Wright, trustee; S. Reardon, clerk; Norris Harrer, treasurer; R. J. Elliott and J. F. Newlon, justices of the peace; A. Kaho and F. D. Howe, constables; Ephraim Shanks, road overseer.  
- Oswego (city)
This beautiful city is the county seat of Labette County, is located on the Missouri, Kansas and Texas railroad, on the western bank of the Neosho river on an elevated piece of ground about 200 feet above the waters of the Neosho. Oswego was located and organized in 1867, and has grown in size and importance very rapidly until now its estimated population is 2000. Its location, being on the M. K. & T. railway and on the Neosho river, makes it very advantageous for a commercial point, and being the seat of government for the county greatly facilitates growth and business. The railroad route surveyed from Cherokee on the Mo. R., Ft. Scott & Gulf R. R. to Park, runs through Oswego, and there is now no doubt that the road will be speedily completed. As a manufacturing point Oswego stands unrivalled, and several fine Flouring and Saw mills are working evidences of the water power facilities. The improvements of Oswego are of a substantial character and exhibit a determination to make business permanent. There are now about 100 firms and individuals engaged in the different branches of trade and profession. Among the four hotels in the city, the Oswego House, by J. C. Walter, is a model hotel in all its appointments, and its proprietor an affable genial landlord. Every accommodation will be found at this popular hotel as is also the case with the American House, by John L. Kunse, a house well worthy the public patronage and a home-like, comfortable place to stop. Read Brothers are among the live Stove and Hardware dealers, and have an excellent stock. The several religious denominations are represented and several fine churches. The educational facilities are excellent, having now in operation several good public schools and one Collegiate Institute under charter. Is a beautiful rolling prairie with a rich black soil very productive of all crops and easily tilled. Coal is abundant in the immediate vicinity and a plenty of timber and good rock supplies all demands for building material. Every inducement is offered by the people of town and country to new comers to come and settle, and a general invitation is extended to come and investigate her numerous advantages. Land in the vicinity is worth from three to ten dollars per acre for unimproved and from ten to twenty five dollars per acre for unimproved farms.  
- Parsons (city)
Among the marvels of the Southwest this lively town stands prominent and pre-eminent In the latter part of 1870 the country now occupied by Parsons was known only as the wild prairies of Southern Kansas. In June, 1870, the Neosho Division of the M. K. & T. R. R., from Junction City, was completed and running past this point, which gave to the country an appearance of civilization, and induced a great many persons to settle all along on the line of road, and in November of the same year, the project was made public of establishing a town here, and on the 16th of November, 1871, the first survey was made, and four days afterwards the first house was commenced. The final, locating, survey of the Sedalia Division of the M. K. & T. R. R. established a junction here with the Neosho Division, which (Sedalia) Division was completed to Parsons in March. Soon after the completion of the Sedalia Division, the first sale of lots by the Town Company took place. This was really the establishment and inauguration of the town. A great number of lots were sold, and building immediately commenced with a rapidity never before known in the "West." Parsons is located in the forks of the Big and Little Labette creeks, in and near the center of Labette County, at the junction of the three divisions (Sedalia, Neosho and Cherokee) of the M. K. & T. R. R. Surrounding Parsons is beautiful, being alternate strips of prairie and timber, the soil that productive black loam, so peculiar to Southern Kansas. Good coal mines are being worked within five miles of the town, with every indication of an inexhaustible supply. There also exists in the immediate vicinity an excellent quality of building stone, which is very easily quarried. The country is already quite thickly settled, and much of the vast tide of Southwestern emigration is locating in and around Parsons. The growth of Parsons is without a parallel in the West, being now only about four months old, and containing over forty business houses. At this writing (June 20th) the estimated population is about eight hundred, but every week adds hundreds. There is a full quota of residences, corresponding with the number of business houses. There is a good school building, in which is conducted a good school with sixty pupils, and the Town Company proposes to erect a commodious house for a graded school the present season, to cost not less than $5,000. The Methodist Episcopal congregation are now erecting an imposing building, and other denominations are contemplating building at an early day. The Odd Fellows and Masons have each a healthy and growing organization here. A large and extensive flouring mill is already under contract and will be speedily completed. One saw mill is in operation about a mile from town. This is an excellent location for all branches of manufactories, having everything required to sustain and feed them close at hand, wood, water, coal, &c., and a country growing rapidly, which demands all products. The location of Parsons is such as to make it the most accessible point on the line of the M. K. & T. R. R., for their machine shops and principal offices, being at the junction of the three principal divisions, and abounding in everything necessary for their operation. The company will erect a large, commodious brick depot building here during the coming season, and there is no question but that the principal machine shops of the company will be located here and will also be completed this season. This of itself would be sufficient to support a large corps of business men, as there must necessarily be several hundred men continually employed. Mr. E. S. Stevens, General Manager of the M. K. & T. R. R., is erecting a fine residence in the south part of the town, with a view of making Parsons his home, which is another evidence of what is to be expected of the town in the future. Parsons has advantages over any point in the Southwest; being located in the midst of a fine agricultural and manufacturing region, with no point of prominence to enter into favorable competition. Her railroad facilities place her far in advance of many towns of a dozen times her age and thrice her size, being in perfect enjoyment of cheap and quick freights, and in direct railroad connection with all points Northwest, Northeast, East and South, and having lines of stages in all directions. But a few months hence Parsons will be the depot of supplies for a vast scope of country. The location of Parsons is such as to recommend her to all careful business men, being fifty miles from Fort Scott, (her only formidable competitor), 159 miles from Sedalia, and 348 miles from St. Louis, and by reference to the map in the back of this book, will be seen to possess great advantages, geographically, over other points in the Southwest. The different branches of business are carried on extensively here. There are three commodious Hotels, the Belmont House, by U. L. C. Beard, the Parsons House, by Messrs. Noyes & Chamberlin, and the United States Hotel, by D. W. Godwin, all new buildings, well kept and a credit to the town. The Real Estate business is also extensive carried on here, and has a lively representative in the live firm of Messrs. Walker & Thomas, who have more land for sale than any agency south of Fort Scott, and being gentlemen of long experience in the business, understand best how to meet the people's wants. Melville, Plato & Co., have an extensive stock of lumber, and are an enterprising go-a-head firm, with whom it is a pleasure to deal. In furniture Messrs. Joseph Huhn & Co. carry an excellent and choice stock, and also have a stock of carpetings that would do credit to a much larger town. A good newspaper, The Sun, has just been established here; M. W. Reynolds, Editor and Publisher, is a gentleman of long experience and an able journalist. The office is one of the most extensive in the State, having a large, commodious building, and everything necessary to the publication of a first-class journal. Good brick yards, hardware, grocery and dry goods stores, go to make a good business. Land in the vicinity (in marketing distance) is worth $4.50 to 88 per acre for unimproved, and from §7 to §15 per acre for improved farms. The citizens of Parsons invite an investigation of their advantages, and will give any inducement to actual settlers. http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~kslabehp/history/1871chetopahistory.html 
- Richland Township
The first settlement of this township has been spoken of in another part of this work. It may be said to have been the first part of the county settled by the whites, but the settlement was entirely broken up in 1863. The settlement as it now exists commenced in the fall of 1865. Among those who came that season were Thomas King, who settled on the northeast quarter of section 18, William Busby on the northwest quarter of section 17, William Puitt on the southeast quarter of section 7, Zephaniah Woolsey on the southeast quarter of section 27; a man by the name of Baker and his three sons. Berry, John and William, and two sons-in-law, Dotson and Maxwell, along the Labette creek on sections 22, 23 and 26 ; G. W. Yandel and his sons-in-law, David Lewellin and Chas. A. Rankin, came in November, 1865, and took claims, but did not bring their families until the following spring. These parties and also Mr. Yandal's son, Columbus, settled on sections 6, 7 and 8. About the same time George W. Kingsbury settled on section 6. During 1866 many parties came into the township, some coming early in the spring and others later in the season. In the spring the Rice brothers, Benjamin, John and James, John Green, Orville Thompson. John W. Wiley, Gilbert Martin, Samuel Braught, Allen Barnes, Mancil Garret, Lorenzo Braught, James Smith, and perhaps others, settled in the northeastern part of the township north of the Labette. In May, S. R. Southwick settled on the northeast quarter of section 29, William Shay on the southeast quarter of section 20, John Kinney and sons on the northwest quarter of section 28, George Lane on the southwest quarter of section 28, Abraham Ewers on the southwest quarter of section 31. In June, Samuel Gregory settled on the southeast quarter of section 26, and in August Mr. Yunker on the northwest quarter of section 29, and Mr. Bedicker on the northeast quarter of section 32. On August 12th Franklin Asbell bought the northeast quarter of section 18 from Thomas King and became a permanent settler thereon. On October 10th, David U. Watson settled on the south w^est quarter of section 21, and John N. Watson on the southeast quarter of section 29; about the same time Marshall J. Lee settled north of Labette creek, Milton Helm on the northeast quarter of section 29, and Riley Hawkins on the southwest quarter of section 20; Stephen Bright bought the south west quarter of section 7 from Woolsey; John and Cass Steel settled on section 8, Salina Grant on the northwest quarter of section 30. On January 1, 1867, Moses Powers located on the northwest quarter of section 21; in April, Isaac Butterworth bought the northwest quarter of section 30 from Salina Grant, and made his home thereon. The first store in the township, aside from those located in Chetopa, was kept by Orville Thompson, a little north of Labette creek, on the east road leading from Oswego to Chetopa; it was started in the spring of 1866. Soon after this the town of Labette was started, on the Neosho. DRAINAGE For many years a large part of the land south of the Labette was covered with water so great a portion of the year that it was practically of little use. In 1882 a ditch was dug, draining this swamp into the Neosho, thereby making a large tract of land capable of cultivation. CEMETERY In April, 1874, John F. Hill deeded three acres of land in section 9, on which the Pleasant Valley Cemetery was laid out; George Gennoa was the first person buried therein. This cemetery has been nicely improved and quite extensively used. The Commissioners appointed for the organization of the county, in laying it off into precincts constituted township 34, range 21, a township, which they named Chetopa. The first official reference we have to this township is on July 2, 1867, when it was "Ordered, that the township called Chetopa, the southern township of Labette county, be changed according to the request of the petitioners, to be called Richland township hereafter." On November 21, 1867, in dividing the county into townships, the Commissioners ordered that "Richland township. No. 4 shall include town 34, R. 21." While we have no record showing the names of the persons who were elected officers at the election held April 22, 1S67, we soon thereafter find J. N. Watson acting as justice of the peace. He resigned on October 23, and on November 19 the Commissioners appointed G. H. English, and two days later they also appointed William H. Reed justice of the peace. On April 7, 1868, the following officers were elected : Robert Steel, trustee; R. B. Wallan, clerk; Daniel Quinby, treasurer; George Kincade and B. B. Baker, justices of the peace; J. W. Wiley and A. P. Kinkade, constables; Allison Hasty, road overseer. On April 14, 1869, an order of the Commissioners was made attaching township 35, range 21, to Richland township. 
- Walton Township
The first settler in Walton township was Jefferson Davis, who came in June, 1866, and located on the southeast quarter of section 22. In August of that year the Weekly family, consisting of Luther, Perry, John, and Mary, located on section 17, and David Edwards on the northeast quarter of section 23. In the spring of 1867 Merrit Mason came, and bought the northeast quarter of section 17 from Mr. Weekly, and thereon made his home. In the fall of 1866 John Collins settled on the southeast quarter of section 36. Perhaps during these years there may have been a few other settlers along the Little Labette, but if so I have not learned the names of such. In 1869 the township received a large number of settlers. On May 1st Nelson Parker settled on the southwest quarter of section 27, and about the middle of May. J. A. Jones settled on the northeast quarter of section 26; not far from the same time Alexander Abies and William Abies on the east half of section 29, George T. Walton on section 16, J. M. Gregory on section 26. W. A. Disch, E. P. Emery, S. R. Hill, John Parker, C. C. Kinnison and R. P. Clark were all there before the opening of 1870; and on February 5, 1870, S. B. Shafer settled on the southwest quarter of section 21. CATHOLIC SETTLEMENT. During the summer of 1869 quite a large number of Catholics settled in the northern part of the township, and have ever since been among the most thrifty and progressive settlers of that vicinity. Walton township was a part of North township as originally constituted. An order of the Commissioners was made on April 6, 1870, on the petition of G. T. Walton, M. S. Mason, T. O'Conner, and some fifty other electors, for the organization of township 31, range 19, into a municipal township to be called Walton, and the following officers were appointed: Merrit S. Mason, trustee; A. C. Perkins, clerk; Timothy O'Conner, treasurer; Jason Luncinford, constable. On account of ill health Mr. Mason was granted permission to appoint a deputy to assist in performing the duties of trustee. 
Labette County Towns
- Mound Valley
Labette County Online Records
- 1885 - 1930 Kansas, Deaths and Burials, 1885-1930 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1885 - 1930 Kansas, Deaths and Burials, Index, 1885-1930 at Ancestry.com — index 
- Funeral Registers, 1900-1926. Wall Funeral Home, Parsons, Kansas. Salt Lake City, Utah *Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1987
- Labette County Funeral Registers, 1889-1926.
- Altamont Cemetery *See: Mount Pleasant Cemetery
- Altamont, Labette County, Kansas, USA
The Mound Valley Cemetery, 1885-1976 / produced by members of the Mound Valley Historical Society and the LaBette Genealogical Society of LaBette County, Kansas. *Mound Valley, Kan. : M.V.H.S., 1977. (Available at the Kansas Historical Society)
Kansas became a territory in 1854 and the first territory census taken was in 1855. It was also enumerated as Kansas Territory in the 1860 Federal Census, although there were 15 counties that were marked with "no population" in them. The state continued to take state censuses after it was admitted to the Union in 1861.
Chetopa Advance Newspaper