Lambrigg_Terrace_Kendal.png

Lambrigg Terrace, Kendal

Privacy Level: Public (Green)
Date: 1891 [unknown]
Location: Kendal, Westmorland, Englandmap
Surnames/tags: House_History Street_Study Kendal_Westmorland
Profile manager: Martin White private message [send private message]
This page has been accessed 364 times.

Lambrigg Terrace was built by John Tebay in 1891, and neighbouring Melrose Place was built in 1896.

Lambrigg Terrace originally comprised of a terrace of six houses overlooking the River Kent. They were numbered from the downstream end nearest Melrose Place. Numbers 5 and 6 were demolished to make way for the expanding Provincial Insurance Company's head office building in the late 1960s (date of demolition unconfirmed).

Known residents of Lambrigg Terrace are indicated below:

1 Lambrigg Terrace:

1897 - George Fleming Fell (1856-1917)
1901 - George Fleming Fell (1856-1917)
1908 - George Fleming Fell (1856-1917)
1911 - George Fleming Fell (1856-1917) (leather merchant's assistant)
1914 - George Fleming Fell (1856-1917)
1921 - Mrs Fell
1925 - Mrs Fell
1939 - James Nicholson (1896-?) & Clara Annie Ediss nee Hitching (1897-1990)
2004 - May 21 - sold for £140,000
2005 - May 4 - planning permission granted to convert property to form two self-contained flats
2008 - Nov 28 - sold for £152,000

2 Lambrigg Terrace:

1897 - Anthony Bland
1901 - John Chamberlain
1908 - John Painter
1911 - John Painter (water inspector) - by 1921 John was living at 1 Melrose Place
1914 - Matthew Robinson
1921 - Rt. C Shaw
1939 - Robert H O'Brien
2004 - May 21 - sold for £140,000
2008 - Sep 26 - sold for £155,000

3 Lambrigg Terrace:

1901 - Tom Jackson
1908 - Matthew Robinson
1911 - Matthew Robinson (coal yardsman)
1915 - Mary Campion
1921 - Miss Campion
1939 - Richard Douglas 'Douglas' Airey (general labourer) & his wife Catherine Jane Airey nee Lightfoot + Frank Birkett (gravedigger) & his wife Winifred Birkett
1993 - Dec 23 - permission granted for change of use from residential to office (Provincial Insurance Company)
2004 - Jun 8 - sold for £146,000
2004 - Sep 17 - sold for £161,900
2015 - Dec 5/6 - Storm Desmond - there was a small amount of water ingress into the hall as no sand bag was used
2018 - Sep 16 - property advertised for sale at £179,995 with Cumberland Estate Agents

4 Lambrigg Terrace:

1901 - Lillie Christie
1908 - Thomas William Sedgwick Huck
1911 - William Benson Robinson (printer & linotype operator)
1921 - E Hargreaves
1939 - Catherine Barr
1980/81 - Norman Almond & Jane Johnston 'Jean' Almond nee Routledge)
2004 - May 21 - sold for £161,000

5 Lambrigg Terrace:

1897 - Joseph Terrance Fee
1901 - Joseph Terrance Fee, Mary Fee nee Kilner
1911 - Anthony Thompson
1914 - James Anthony Thompson
1915 - James Anthony Thompson
1921 - James Anthony Thompson
1939 - John Allonby (wood cutter) & Janet Matilda Allonby nee Hayton plus Gerard Quinn (evacuee?)
1958 - Janet Matilda Allonby nee Hayton
date? - demolished

6 Lambrigg Terrace:

1901 - John Shearer & family
1908 - the property was owned by Maurice John Pearson of 1 Melrose Place
1911 - Alice Storey nee Ward
1914 - Alice Storey nee Ward
1921 - Henry Woodhouse & Mary Ann Woodhouse nee Whiteside]
1926 - Birkett
1939 - Mary Isobel Barwise & sister Gladys Barwise
date? - demolished




Collaboration
Comments

Leave a message for others who see this profile.
There are no comments yet.
Login to post a comment.

Categories: Kendal, Westmorland