January 18, 1894
One of the Most Flourishing Villages of Western New York.
BUILT ON A SUBSTANTIAL BASIS
And Rapidly Becoming a Large Industrial and Mercantile Centre.
A GLANCE AT THE VILLAGE
In the succeeding columns the aim in present in brief, concise form, a description of the advanced business facilities of Lancaster, and sketcher of some of its principal business establishments. The writing up and representation of such a large number of individual enterprises cannot fail to be of substantial benefit to the town, and it makes an excellent showing of the enterprise of firms herein represented.
That Lancaster possesses many real permanent advantages which are being developed and utilized by business men of ability and enterprise which has placed it in the front rank among the towns of the state is a fact so well-known as to need no comment here.
For many year the village war known the outside world only an a pleasant a convenient place of residence, its distance from Buffalo being only a few minute ride on the Erie, Lackawanna, Lehigh and New York Central railroads. Many of her more progressive citizen all along cherished the idea that the village would some day awaken to new life and become a place of considerable importance.
The phenomenal growth of Lancaster during the last few years is all the more satisfactory because its growth has not been a "boom” or superficial growth, but the advancement has been made on solid and substantial foundation.
Among the manufacturing industries now in successful operation within our village limits we would mention the following: The New York Central Locomotive Works, employing 600 men; the Gould Coupler Works, which will soon employ 600 or 800 men; the Union Car Shop, which will employ from 600 to 1,000 men; the Lancaster Co-Operative Glass Works, employing about 50 men and boys the Lancaster Carbon Company's Works, employing about 30 men: Rood's Malleable Iron Works, employing 100 men; The Buffalo Star Brick Company yards, Frank Maute’s Foundry and Scheu’s Malt House.
All lines of mercantile trade are represented by pushing business men, who, through their fair dealing and the advantage they offer to the public, are drawing a large volume of trade from the surrounding country.
As a place of residence the village has many desirable features. It is pleasantly and healthfully located, with fine business blocks, beautiful homes, churches, schools, and every requirement of an enlightened and intelligent population. There is no indication that the town has stopped growing. On the contrary, there are reasons to believe that the opening up of the spring will witness a revival of business not heretofore enjoyed. We ask of our readers a careful perusal of the following sketches:
BUFFALO DRY GOODS STORE – E. FEYLER, PROPRIETOR.
When this enterprising gentleman established in business in Lancaster, our town received an acquisition to its mercantile interest of great benefit and importance. It required a great deal of grit and enterprise on the part of the proprietor to make the investment and put in such a large and superior stock of dry goods, carpets, etc., which had never before been attempted in town. The results have been highly satisfactory, as evidenced by his large trade. The store is magnificently equipped with all kinds of staple and fancy dry goods, furnishings, etc., carpets, oilcloths, lace curtain and draperies occupying the second floor. Mr. Feyler is putting in an extensive stock of wallpaper.
Mr. Safford in conducting a flourishing industry of great importance to the town. Having for a number of years past given special attention to the manufacture of his famous bedstead, he has recently extended his business by putting in the necessary machinery for a well equipped planing mill, and is now prepared to do all work in the line of planing, matching, dressing , etc. He carries a large stock of lumber and all kinds of building material.
In the establishment conducted by Mr. J. Heller Our town possesses the advantage of a first class hardware, stove, tinware and job work establishment. Mr. Heller has been in business a number of years. He has no reason to complain of the success he has met. We are rather inclined to congratulate him on the flourishing condition of his business. We find here a large and carefully selected stock of general hardware, stoves, ranges, furnaces, tinware, etc. In addition Mr. Heller does all kinds of work in roofing, repairing, furnace work, etc.
J. C. WEIL & CO.
In reviewing the numerous business interests of our town, we wish to make prominent mention of the first class lumber yard owned and successfully carried on by Mr. J. C. Weil & Co. This enterprising firm located here about a year ago. They rank among our most substantial business men and have built up an attractive trade. The purchase to an advantage and are in the best position to meet the wants of the people. Their yard is constantly stocked with a full line of lumber, latch, shingles and other building materials of every description.
The patrons of this well-conducted grocery store may well be congratulated on the advantages they possess in dealing here. Although in business only (illegible) year, Mr. Brass has accomplished very satisfactory results. The store, since its inception has steadily gone ahead, increasing its trade and growing in the popularity of the people. If you want superior groceries deal with Mr. Brass.
In referring to the boot and shoe trade of the town, we call the attention of our readers to the advantages to be had in dealing at Mr. Schaefer’s popular establishment, Mr. Schaefer is one of our enterprising business men. A notable feature of this business in its entire reliability. In purchasing here one in certain of getting goods just as represented. Mr. Schaefer buys from the best manufacturers, and handles a large and superior stock of all the latest and best makes of boots and shoes from the ladies finest French kid to the men's and boys’ heavier wear.
Mr. Joseph Knauber, proprietor of the flourishing planing mill and lumber dealer on Central Avenue is one of our substantial business men. This factory is well equipped with all the latest machinery for doing all kind of work in planning, matching, dressing, etc. An important part of the business in the lumber trade. A full stock of all kind of lumber, lath, shingles and every description of building material is carried. Any one contemplating building should call on Mr. Knauber.
PEOPLE CLOTHING STORE.
What our town most needs in the mercantile line is just such establishments as this, where the people can deal to as great if not greater advantage than in the city. The People's Clothing Store has supplied this want in the clothing line. It is a large and well-stocked clothing, hat, cap and furnishings establishment. It must appear plain that when equal advantages are had in buying with city houses, while the expenses of conducting a business is much lighter, that better value can be offered to the people. Save money by dealing at the People's Clothing Store.
The gentleman above named has been a resident of the town for many year. About a year ago he embarked in the mercantile line and is conducting one of the leading stores of the place. Mr. Stephan carries an extensive stock which fills three store rooms and which embraces general dry goods, groceries, wall paper, crockery and glassware, and flour and feed. Since taking hold of this large established business he has steadily increased the trade and it is in a flourishing condition.
A boot and shoe establishment where the public find every advantage and protection in dealing is at the popular store of the gentleman whose name appears at the head of this article. Mr. Schliebs has for a number of years been doing an extensive trade. He keeps his business up with the times, and conducts it in a capable, enterprising manner. The stock at his store is large and well selected and bought from the best manufacturers. Mr. Schliebs is honorable and upright in all his dealings.
Among the new businesses which have been started up in our midst we note success attending the popular merchant tailoring establishment of the gentleman above named. In going into business for himself, Mr. Ostermeier was well qualified by experience and ability to make a success of his undertaking. He is an A 1 practical cutter and any work that leaves his hands may be relied upon. He carries a good stock from which to select. The business deserve its success.
Our first-class marble and granite works is an industry of importance to the town and should be prominently mentioned. It is widely and favorably known over thin section of the state and Mr. Bauer has built up an extensive business. He manufactures all kinds of monumental work, which in style, color and finish is unequaled. Any contemplating purchaser will save money by calling on him.
This in a large and extensively stocked hardware, stoves, tinware and job work establishment. Here our citizens and the people of the surrounding country have all the advantages to be had in the large places. Mr. Maute has recently removed into him present convenient and commodious store on Central Avenue And now has unsurpassed facilities for meeting the wants of the people. His store is filled with an extensive and carefully elected stock bought from best manufacturers. The business is in a flourishing condition.
This business combines both branches of the clothing trade - ready-made clothing and merchant tailoring -also hats, caps and furnishings. It is a neat and tasty store and the proprietor known how to conduct a first-class business of the kind. Mr. Rostert is now offering some rare bargains in ready-made clothing. He is a first-class cutter and can guarantee satisfaction.
HALBERT’S PHOTOGRAPH STUDIO. Our town possesses the advantages of one of the best equipped and best conducted studio of any town of its size in the country. The enterprising proprietor, Mr. Halbert, has been established a number of years. He has met with phenomenal success and built up a good business. He is a photographer of more than ordinary ability and has made the studio noted for turning out a superior class of work. Enlarging in also done in crayon, pastel and water colors. The studio in equipped with all the latest accessories, and to see the display of photographic work is to appreciate it. Mr. Halbert makes a views of scenery.
The jewelry branch of our mercantile trade is represented by a first-class establishment which is creditable to its enterprising proprietor. Mr. Fred Wannemancher. This business deserves prominent mention in our review. Mr. Wannemacher has been established in business in Lancaster some three or four years. He recently removed into his permanent excellent location in the Greis block, where he has one of the finest business rooms in the town. He has built up a flourishing business, and is in the best position to meet the wants of the people. He purchases to advantage from the best manufacturers and the handsome wall and centre cases of his well appointed sales room are filled with fine gold and silver watches, clocks of great variety, jewelry of all descriptions, silverware, etc.
In the purchase of household furniture our citizens and the people of the surrounding country have special advantages at the well equipped warerooms of the enterprising gentleman above named. In the first place we have no hesitation in saying it is one of the best places to buy furniture in the country. Mr. Seeger has been engaged in the furniture line for many years, and thoroughly understand the business. He buys to advantage from the leading manufacturers and a visit to his warerooms and an inspection of his stock will show the bargains that are offered. We find here a large, varied and carefully selected stock at price which mean saving of money to the buyer. Mr. Seeger in known as one of the most successful undertakers of this section of the state. He is a competent funeral director and a skilled embalmer and keeps on hand a full line of caskets and all kind of funeral supplies.
A popular and successful business of our town which deserves prominent mention in our review is the first-class grocery store of the enterprising gentleman above named. Since establishing in business nearly a year ago, Mr. Braun has met with phenomenal success. He has built up a splendid trade and made the business popular with the people for its capable, upright management. Mr. Braun purchases from the best markets. The store is a model of neatness, cleanliness and taste, and is filled with the choicest and best groceries, provisions, fruit, vegetables, etc. Mr. Braun has built up hit flourishing business by honorable, upright dealing, fair, courteous treatment of customers, and really deserver hi success.
This is one of the newest established of our business places. Mr. Kraussold a few months ago opened up a nicely stocked news, stationary and tobacco store, and is meeting with gratifying success. Mr. Kraussold is a gentleman well and favorably known, courteous to his patrons and honorable in all his dealings. His stock includes the lending daily papers and periodicals, stationary, school supplies, cigar, tobacco, etc.
The above named gentleman is well known in connection with the carriage business of Lancaster. His repository on Erie street is filled with a fine line of carriages, buggies, family, spring and farm wagons, cutters, sleighs, etc. Anyone contemplating the purchase of a new vehicle of any kind will do well to call and examine his stock before purchasing elsewhere.
The above named gentleman has conducted a harness shop in this village for over 20 year, and is one of the substantial men of the town. He manufactures all kinds of harness, and carries a fine stock of robes, blankets, trunks, etc. Mr. Gottschalk has been postmaster of the village for the past four years.
The grocery store of Mr. Young, which was opened on Central Avenue, near the Lackawanna crossing, is a popular place for people living in the northern part of the village to buy their groceries. He carrier a well selected stock and is doing а good business.
Mr. Leininger is one of our best known citizens. He has held the office of village clerk since 1863, and trustee of the public school since 1864. He is a gentleman who has many warm friends and the confidence of the public. Besides efficiently discharging the duties of village clerk, he also does conveyancing, is a notary public and does a large insurance business.
At the front in the grocery trade of our town in the popular and successful business of the enterprising gentleman above named, which should occupy a prominent place in our review. Mr. Kurtz is now conveniently located in his new and first-class store on Central Avenue, where he has unsurpassed facilities for meeting the wants of the people. The public will find superior advantages in dealing here. Mr. Kurtz in an enterprising business man and a competent grocer. He purchases his stock from the best markets and his neatly appointed store is filled with a large and superior line of all kinds of pure family groceries, provisions, fruits, vegetables, etc. The business deserves its success.
The gentleman above named is one of the most successful of our merchants. His large and well stocked dry goods store in one of our leading institutions. During the many years Mr. Schwartz has been in business it is unnecessary for us to say that he has had extensive dealing with the people. The store has always been noted for the substantial values it offers. Mr. Schwartz purchases from the best markets and the store is filled with a large and well selected line of dry goods, furnishings, wallpaper, etc.
It is now about four years since the enterprising gentleman above named engaged in the grocery business. Since then he has been well to the front in his line. His store is headquarters for a large number of our citizens who find many advantages in dealing there. The store is noted for carrying a first-class stock of all kinds of pure family groceries and notions. It is popular with its patrons.
The subject of this sketch is our first class flour mill, of which the enterprising gentleman above named is the proprietor. Mr. Mook is one of our solid, substantial businessmen, largely interested in the town, and be takes an active interest in all matters pertaining to its welfare. He has built up an extensive business. The mill is noted for the superior work it does. Mr. Mook carries a large stock of the best brands of family four, feed, meal, etc.
This in one of the neatest and best appointed stores of the town, and deserves prominent mention in our review. The proprietor, Mr. V. Simon, is one of our substantial business men. Since establishing here he has met with gratifying success, which is evidenced by the large and flourishing trade he does and the popularity of business with the people. Mr. Simon purchases from the best markets and his store is filled with a carefully selected stock of choice family groceries, provisions, fruits, vegetables, etc. The store has a most appreciative patronage.
A successful business of our town, of long standing before the public and well and favorably known, is the first-class flour, feed and grocery establishment of the gentleman above named. Mr. Schwartz is one of our substantial business men. He has been in business here for a number of years and has always had a laree patronage. Up till about ago he made a specialty of flour, feed, grain, etc., when he added to his stock a general line of family groceries, etc. His trade has largely increased and the store is a desirable place to deal. We find ere a splendid stock of the best brands of family flour from the leading mills, also feed, meal, seeds, grain, etc. In addition Mr. Schwartz deals in all kinds of farm produce, baled hay, straw, salt, shingles, cement, etc. He also has the agency for the International stock food.
Here we have a flourishing grocery establishment for the subject of our sketch, and a business which is at the front in its line. Like the majority of our business men, Mr. Gipple has been successful, which is evidence by his large trade. It would be difficult to find a better stocked store in its line where better groceries are handled, and if you are a patron your table in sure to be supplied with the choicest and best groceries, provisions, fruit, etc., that can be obtained.
Our town possesses the advantage of this first-class drug store, which in conducted in a very capable manner and is worthy of liberal patronage from the residents of Lancaster. Mr. Cushing has been conducting the business about a year and a half. The store in equipped with a full line of pure drugs, druggists, sundries, the leading patent medicines, stationary, cigars, etc. A competent pharmacist in employed. Mr. Cushing does a real estate business and in special agent of the Depew Improvement Co.
There is no name better known in connection with the furniture trade than that of Mr. Schlegel, who has occupied in present convenient location about a year. His father first established in the furniture business here nearly forty year ago. The present proprietor therefore has had a thorough training and understands the business. A visit to his store and an inspection of his stock will show the bargains he can offer. Mr. Schlegel in a successful undertaker and give special attention to that branch of the business.
This in one of the oldest established of our business places, and up till last May was successfully carried on by our well known townsman, Mr. John Leininger, at which time Wendel succeeded to the business. It is a well equipped general store, filled with a carefully selected stock of dry good, notions, wallpaper, and groceries. The business in conducted in a capable, enterprising manner and is popular with its patrons.
In reviewing our various business places, we wish to call the attention of the public to the recently established grocery store opened up a few months ago by the gentleman above named. We are pleased to note the success Mr. Koch is meeting with and the splendid trade he is building up. The store in becoming every day more popular with its patrons. Mr. Koch buys his goods from the bent wholesale houses and handles a fresh stock of pure choice family groceries, and by fair dealing and courteous treatment of customers is meeting with gratifying success.
KEPELLER & BRANDEL.
This firm took hold of the old established brewery about a year ago. They are enterprising, practical men who thoroughly understand the business and have made a great success of their undertaking. They have built up an extensive business and made the brewery noted for the superior quality of the beer manufactured. By honorable, straightforward dealing with their patrons they have won the confidence of the entire community. They employ a number of hands and the industry is one of considerable importance to our town.
This enterprising firm is carrying on a flourishing business in Lancaster as manufacturers of soft drink, much as lemon sour, ginger ale, soda water, etc. They have also in connection a first-class bottling works where the best lager beer and porter are put up. This firm has built up an extensive trade and has done so by placing upon the market a superior quality of soft drink which, as healthful, nutritious beverages have no superior.
There in nothing of greater importance to a town than good hotel accommodations. In this respect our town in fortunately situated, having the advantage of the public hostelry above named. This valuable property is owned and carried on by Mr. John Raynor, who is a successful hotel man. The best accommodations are offered and the house has a large patronage.
Mr. Soemann, proprietor of the Main Street Brewery, is one of our young, energetic business men. Among the breweries of Western New York this one takes high rank for the superiority of the beer manufactured. Mr. Soemann enjoys the advantage of long practical experience and thoroughly understands the business. He has built up an extensive patronage which he well deserves as a reward of honorable dealing and enterprising management.
Mr. Oehm is the proprietor of the planing mill on Holland Avenue. This mill has all the machinery necessary for planing, matching, etc. He has been in the business for a number of years and thoroughly understands every branch of it.
Mr. Greis has recently opened a store in his new building on West Main Street, where he carries a fine stock of sewing machines, musical instruments, guns, ammunition, etc.
DR. F. H. MASON
Having reviewed the various business interests of our village, we would say in referring to the professional lines that the dental profession in ably resented by the gentleman above named who is one of the most successful dentists in this section of the state. Dr. Mason in building up a large practice and him professional abilities have won for him the entire confidence of the people. Familiar with all branches of dentistry in its most approved methods, any dental operations entrusted to him are performed in the most skillful manner.
Besides the above branches of business, Lancaster has four coal dealers, J. O. Garretsee, J.M. Monell, W.M. Blackmon and J. M. Greis: five meat markets, conducted by Frank Hastrick, Charles Miller, John Schrankel, and Mrs. Mosack: four blacksmith, Valentine Sandel Jr., Martin Uebelhoer, Albert Geyer and August Sandel; two bakeries, conducted by H. Gretzler and Mrs. Emminger; two firms of florists, W.J. Palmer & Son and Smiley & Hummell; three barber shops, conducted by Charles Bins, John Gilpin, and John Vacant (Mr. Bins also practices dentistry), and five or six contractors and builders.
April 5, 1894
April 5, 1894 Buffalo Courier
SWEPT BY FIRE
The Village of Lancaster Nearly wiped out
HELP FROM BUFFALO
The Business District a Mass of Ruins.
Losses over $100,000. --
A blaze in a Barn on Central Avenue Late in the Afternoon spread to Adjacent Buildings and Could Not Be stayed by the Most Vigorous Efforts of the Local Fire Department
- Mercantile Houses Destroyed by the Flames - Engine No. 8 or the Buffalo Fire Department and a Strong Body of Firemen Reach the scene via the Erie Road soon After Midnight and Have the Fire under Control. Before 2 O'clock. This Morning - sketch of Lancaster's History.
Lancaster, N. Y., April 4.-(Special)- The entire business district of Lancaster was wiped out by fire tonight. The blaze caught in a barn on Central Avenue about 5:30 p.m., and spread rapidly to adjoining buildings. The local fire department was powerless to cope with the fire, and assistance was asked from Buffalo. The wildest excitement prevailed for several hours. A strong wind carried the flames and sparks to the roofs of all buildings near this connections of Central Avenue and West Main Street, and before the villagers were hardly aware of it 10 or 12 structures were in flames.
The losses so far as know are: Louis Brass, grocery, $5,000; Frank Schafer, shoe store, $10,000; Tony Suttle, hotel, $7,000; Robert Milo, saloon, $7,000; vacant store, $4,000; M.M. Schwartz, dry goods, $15,000; M. Eberhart, blacksmith shop, $10,000; Jacob Kaiser, saloon and building. $10,000; Judge W. H. Grimes's dwelling and barn, $15,000; J.P. Sommers and Lancaster Club, $5,000; Anton Bussman, Jewelry Store, $5,000; Dr. Samuel Potter, house and barn, $5,000; Mrs. Mosack's meat market, horses, etc., $10,000
The Total loss will exceed $100,000.
The flames spread north across Central Avenue and took an eastward course consuming M.M. Schwartz & Co.'s Dry goods store, over which were the A. D. U. W. and the Odd Fellows' and the Macabee's lodge - rooms, Eberhard's blacksmith shop, Jacob Kaisers large stone building, Judge Grime's residence, now occupied by Col. George A. Davis who is traveling in the South, and J.P. Sommers's frame building in which were the quarters of the Lancaster Club, went next, followed by Anton Bussman's jewelry store and Dr. Potter's house and barn came next, and then Binz's barn. All if the stores were occupied by the owners who had living apartments on the upper floors. Nothing remains standing but a few fragments of brick walls. Many barns were razed to the ground during the fire to prevent it from spreading, but all effort were of no avail. Mrs. Frank Schaefer was lying at the point of death and had to be carried out of her room, which as over the store, and taken to a neighbor's house.
No accidents were reported up to a late hour. When the Buffalo firemen reached the scene a shout of welcome went up from the villagers who saw in them a hope of saving some of their homes.
The Erie Railroad officials had a train at the Buffalo station for the apparatus within 10 minutes after it was ordered, but an accident to fire Engine No. 8 delayed it in Buffalo. The run to Lancaster was made in quick time and the engine was soon throwing a stream into the burning buildings. Chief Dispatcher P.J. Fitzgerald was on the train, which was in charge of conductor Lieder. It was a pretty sight to see the fire engine with steam up loaded on a flat car blocked and guarded by firemen, while the hose piled on another flat car was held down by a dozen firemen.
At 1:30 a.m. the fire was burning fiercely though it was practically under control. It is thought that it will not spread further.
Men who have worked years for what they had invested were obliged to stand in the street powerless, while their fortune were swept away before their eyes. Men and boys worked manfully at the old hand engines only giving way to others when nature could no longer stand the strain.
The American Hotel, the largest in town, escaped the fire, although it stood within 50 feet of the hottest part of it. A bucket brigade did effective work keeping roofs wet down, thereby saving many homes. At 2 a.m. mass of smoldering ruins remained to mark the place where 12 hours earlier stood most of Lancaster's mercantile houses and some of her finest residences. At this hour the fire is out and the Buffalo men will soon begin preparations for the return trip.
Accident to Fire Engine No.8.
A message was received at Fire Headquarters about 11 o'clock asking that an engine and crew be sent to Lancaster. Engine No. 8, the hose cart and crew were ordered out and a train made upon the Erie round. On the way to the train Engine No. 8 ran into, a dirt cart and the pole was broken. The driver was thrown from his seat. Neither he nor the horses were injured. The dirt cat was crossing Chicago Street on Perry and was not turned out for the engine. The driver of the engine reigned his tem to the curbstone but could not stop then in time to prevent running into the wagon. The engine was hauled to the train and Capt. Britton and his men left for Lancaster about 11:30 'clock.
HISTORY OF LANCASTER
The Part the Village Has Played in the Growth of Erie County
Lancaster village has loomed up in importance during recent years and had come to be regarded as one of the likely suburbs of Buffalo in the near future, the two places having been more intimately connected by street and railroad lines. The village shared the Buffalo boon of the past year or two, more than one enterprising company having been formed for its development.
The town of Lancaster was formed March 20, 1833, having been taken from Clarence by act of the Legislature. It consists of Township 11, Ranges 6 of the Holland Company's survey, together with a strip on the north side of Buffalo Creek Reservation. The total area measure six miles east and west and about six and one sixth miles north and south - in all about 37 square miles. It has generally level surface. Its first church (Presbyterian) was organized at the Johnson schoolhouse with 13 members and in the winter of 1823-4 the first post office was established in the township. A line of stages connected the village with Buffalo in 1827. The complexion of the town, whose site was bought from the Indians in 1826, began to change very rapidly with a large settlement of foreigners, principally Germans. In 1835 the German Lutherans built a church in the then thriving village. The change of name from Cayuga Creek took place on the formation of the township in 1833.
The Construction of the Buffalo & Attica railroad in 1842 (since merged in the Erie system), the New York Central Railroad which dated 10 years later, and the Lackawanna and West Shore lines in 1883, all tended to the increased prosperity of the place. The Erie Canal also proved an important factor in it up-building. In 1843 it could boast of a flourishing academy. Six years later a number of wealthy and enterprising Hollanders settled in the village and the price of land went up from $30 to $50 an acre, figures which would excite ridicule nowadays, but which were then deemed high. A number of Bufffalonians had their country residences in Lancaster. Among its early industries was the tannery established by Bush & Howard, soon followed mercantile enterprises of a diversified character. In 1858 the Lancaster Union planing mills were established and in connection there with a bedstead factory was projected by Joseph Knauber. John Schrankel's grist mill built in 1871 and another owned by Pillip Mook were among the thriving industries of the place about this time, also the breweries of De Mangeot Nuwer & Co. and Charles Solomon. The Scheu malt-house was soon added to the Est. and in 1880 the carriage factory of Charles Clarke which later passes into the possession of Harlow Brothers.
The Lancaster glassworks, one of the most important industries of the kind in the country, were established in 1849. Eight glass blowers from Pittsburg including Charles Reed started this industry in a frame structure. These works have been owned successively by Reed, Allen, Cox & Co., Reed, Shinn & Co., James Gatchell & Co., and Dr. F. H. James, who succeeded to the property in 1803. The industry assumed large dimensions until it last employed 65 men and boys with an annual out-put of 3,000,000 bottles. Lancaster could now boast of two flouring mills, a chair factory, glassworks, an iron furnace, three breweries, two planing mills, a tannery, a malt house, bedstead factory, two cabinet shops, three tin shops two meat markets, a drug store, four general stores, three grocery stores, two tailor shops, a harness shop, three hotels, four blacksmith shops, a basket shop, and the usual compliment of saloons. M.M. Schwartz bought of J.R. Schwartz in 1870 a general store doing a thriving business. John Leininger, then clerk of the village, occupied the general store started by him in 1864. Matthias Schwartz, a pioneer among Lancaster's merchants, carried on a general store on West Main Street.
Among the others in the mercantile list were Philip Martzloff, successor of Mrs. Schaffer as keeper of a general store. C. E. Smith, Charles Seeter and Simon Adolph, keepers of grocery stores, and Mr. Fischer, druggist who had for successors A.B. Bishop, E.D. Kenney, J.E. Brown, T.D. Leininger, and E.L. Griswold. The American Hotel formerly kept by John Raynor, passed into the hands of R. S. Miller in 1883 and in 1850 another hotel was opened by John A. Laux.
Nor has Lancaster's religious and educational progress been neglected as is shown by the list of churches. The early Presbyterian and German Lutheran churches were followed by the erection of the German Methodist Church in 1874; the Roman Catholic Church and School of 1872 and 1874, and Trinity Episcopal opened in 1883.
Lancaster's first fire department was organized March 3, 1876, comprising hook and ladder company No. 1. In February 1882 the Cayuga engine company was formed. In 1866 its Literary Society was initiated by the Rev. William Waith, Nathan B. Gatchell, Edward H. Perry, Dr. Frederick H. James, Charles F. Tabor, George Clapp, Rudolph F.W. Hoffeld, Frank Lee, George W. Harris and George W. Porter.
The present population of Lancaster is about 2,000. The village is represented on the Erie County Board of Supervisors by George A. Davis.