Surnames/tags: Langridge Langrish
Profile manager: Janet Wild [send private message]
This page has been accessed 610 times.
How to Join
Please contact the project leader Janet Wild or post a comment at the foot of the page. If you have any questions, just ask. Thanks
- This is a One Name Study to collect together in one place everything about one surname and the variants of that surname. The hope is that other researchers like you will join our study to help make it a valuable reference point for people studying lines that cross or intersect.
- If you have a goal you would like to add then please list it here so we can work on it together.
- How far and wide did the Langridge name travel and what Counties, States or Countries did they settle in
Links to pages of Interest
- List of Langridge on Wikitree
- Orphaned Langridge profiles on WikiTree
- Unsourced Langridge profiles on WikiTree
- Unconnected Langridge profiles on WikiTree
- G2G feed of questions tagged "Langridge"
- List of Langrish on Wikitree
- Orphaned Langrish profiles on WikiTree
- Unsourced Langrish profiles on WikiTree
- Unconnected Langrish profiles on WikiTree
- Start to link into the community - post in G2G - Done
- Join up the branches around the world
- Start with the branches in the English counties
- Australia as part of my family
- Ask other folk around the world to review the names in their country
Adding profiles to the study
The following is the link to the main category page for this study Click Here
- Langridge has been spelled many different ways, before English spelling became standardized over the last few hundred years, spelling variations in names were a common occurrence. As the English language changed in the Middle Ages, absorbing pieces of Latin and French, as well as other languages, the spelling of people's names also changed considerably, even over a single lifetime. Many variations of the name Langridge have been found, including Longridge, Longbridge, Langrich, Langriche, Langrick, Langrige, Langredge, Langrish, Langrith. The main variation found in my Janet (Langridge) Wild branch of the tree is Langrish :Believed the name is derived from the norman version of Langrish
- Isle of Wight, England
- Somerset - Believed to be the originating county for the name
Around the World
- New Zealand
- United States
The village of Langridge
- The village ofLangridge is reached down a small country Lane - Langridge Lane there in the beautiful Swainswick and Woolley valley which lies below the A46 and Lansdown, less than 3 miles north of Bath, is the little church of St Mary Magdalene at Langridge. Although the church was built long ago by the Normans, not many people know it is there nestling peacefully in isolation on the hillside with just a farm and its buildings for company. The Saxons and Romans had been here before and over the centuries the church has witnessed historic events. The battle of Lansdown was fiercely fought on the neighboring hills in the Civil War. The parish's earliest mention is in the Domesday Book (1086). Next to the Church is Langridge House and Studio. The view from the church and the house across the valley is stunning.
Contemporary Notables of the name Langridge (post 1700)
- Matthew Langridge MBE (b. 1983), current Great Britain oarsman
- Richard James Langridge (1939-2005), English first class cricketer
- James Langridge (1906-1966), English cricketer
- John George Langridge (1910-1999), English cricketer
- Philip Langridge (1939-2010), English Tenor, singer
- Edward 'Ted" Langridge, former Australian rules football player
- Roger Langridge (b. 1967), New Zealand-born comics writer /artist /letterer
- the above list is courtesy of https://www.houseofnames.com/langridge-family-crest
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
Leave a message for others who see this profile.
There are no comments yet.
Login to post a comment.