upload image

Leipzig, Bessarabia, Russian Empire

Privacy Level: Open (White)
Date: [unknown] [unknown]
Location: Bessarabia, Russiamap
Surnames/tags: Black_Sea_Germans German
This page has been accessed 1,581 times.


For profiles, see the Leipzig, Bessarabia, Russia category

Leipzig is located in the historical landscape of Bessarabia. The territory of Bessarabia came to the Russian Empire in 1812 in the Peace of Bucharest from the Ottoman vassal state of the Principality of Moldavia.

The new acquisition was treated as a colonization area and initially assigned to the Governor General of New Russia.

Tsar Alexander I, in a manifesto of 1813, called German colonists to the country to colonize the newly won steppe areas in New Russia. Here, in 1814, German emigrants founded Leipzig as village number 8. The village is one of the 24 Bessarabian German mother colonies. They were founded by immigrants, while daughter colonies were founded later by inhabitants of mother colonies. The emigrants who settled here in 1814 were 126 German families. They arrived in the area of later Leipzig in three trains in the fall of 1814. Due to the impending winter, they sought quarters in the nearby Moldavian villages. For the village foundation, the Russian authorities had measured out a piece of land in the vast steppe landscape, which was grazed only by cattle herds. It had a length of 11.5 km and a width of 7.7 km. Each family was allocated an area of 60 desjatines in the spring of 1815. The land remained the property of the municipality and was given to the settlers for further inheritance. The village was laid out as a street village with a main road 50 meters wide. It had a length of 5 km. Each individual farmstead had an area of one desjatine and was 43 meters wide along the road frontage and 260 meters long.

In 1815 and 1816 the settlement bore the place name "Skinos". It is derived from the Moldavian name of the river Kohylnyk, on which the settlement was founded. Later it was briefly called "Catharinenruh" or "Katharinenruh" after Catherine the Great. From 1817 it bore the name "Leipzig" until the resettlement of Germans from Bessarabia in 1940.

The settlement of Leipzig, like all of Bessarabia, belonged to the Russian Tsarist Empire until 1917. After the First World War it was Romanian territory from 1918.

As a result of the Hitler-Stalin Pact, the Red Army occupied Bessarabia at the end of June 1940.

From 1944 the village belonged to the Soviet Union.

Since the disintegration of the Soviet Union in 1991, the village has been on Ukrainian territory.

Leipzig / Serpnevoye / Skinos, Akkerman, Bessarabia, Russia (Lat 46.3014N, Long 29.0223E) is now called Serpneve, Odes'ka, Ukraine See the PDF list in bottom right corner. D. G. Bender. Germans from Russia and Eastern Europe Settlement Locations
See an online map pin of Leipzig, Bessarabia
Leipzig / Serpnevoye / Skinos, Akkerman, Bessarabien, Russland, Lat 46.3014N, Long 29.0223E, hei├čt heute Serpneve, Odes'ka, Ukraine Siehe die PDF-Liste in der unteren rechten Ecke. D. G. Bender. Germans from Russia and Eastern Europe Settlement Locations
Sehen Sie einen Online-Karten-Pin von Leipzig, Bessarabien

Photos of Leipzig, Bessarabia on Facebook Taken in 2001 by Elli Wise, Carolyn Schott, Elaine Morrison, and Dale Wahl

Resources:





Collaboration
  • Login to edit this profile and add images.
  • Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
  • Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)


Comments

Leave a message for others who see this profile.
There are no comments yet.
Login to post a comment.

Categories: Leipzig, Bessarabia