Location: Gaston, North Carolina
Surnames/tags: Mason Wright Moody
- My Dear Patt
- I am here safe, and it is not sun up. We will leave here about 10 O'clock--should you get sick my sweetest let me know it. I'll be back on Wednesday. Send up or come yourself. Yours affectionately---
- October 4th 1840
- Jno m Moody
- On the reverse: Martha W. Moody
- VLR (Virginia Leigh Refo)
- A hurriedly scribbled note in pencil from John Mason Moody to his wife Martha William (Wright) Moody. He is writing from Gaston which was northern terminus of the Raleigh-Gaston railroad, completed in 1840 . We might assume he had business in Raleigh. He was not serving in the Legislature at this time.
- Many thanks to cousin Virginia Leigh Refo whose research and transcriptions added to this profile. The originals were donated to the Library of Virginia in 2004 by Liz Edens Vermillion with the help of Virginia Refo Moody Family Papers, 1750-1881. Accession 40535, Personal Papers Collection, The Library of Virginia, Richmond, Virginia.