Location: Letterewe, Gairloch, Ross-shire, Scotland, United Kingdom
This page provides some historic information about Letterewe in the former civil parish of Gairloch in the historic county of Ross-shire, Scotland. It is not a comprehensive account, and other WikiTree users are encouraged to add additional information to this page.
|Location of Letterewe in the parish of Gairloch, Ross-shire at DMS coordinates 57°41'07"N, 5°26'16"W. Detail from Ordnance Survey One-inch-to-the-mile Maps of Scotland, Second Edition, Sheet 92, Revised 1894, Published 1896. Reproduced under Creative Commons Attribution (CC-BY) licence with permission of The National Library of Scotland.|
Leases advertised in 1792 and 1794
A ninteen-year lease of Letterewe was advertised in 1792:
"AN EXTENSIVE SHEEP FARM. / TO LET for nineteen years or such space as shall be agreed on, and entered to at Whitsunday next. / THE Lands and Estate of LETTEREW[E], lying in the parish of Gairloch, and shire of Ross. These lands border on the great lake of Lochmaree for about 12 miles, are well sheltered, have a large extent of hill grass, and are esteemed the best calculated for sheep in that country. A part of the lands is presently occupied by the proprietor as a sheep farm, on which there are about 1600 sheep of a good kind, which the incoming tenant may have on reasonable terms ; but the whole estate could easily support upwards of 4000 sheep. There is a commodious dwelling-house on the lands, with many other conveniences for a good tenant. / Any person inclining to treat for a lease may apply to John Mackenzie, Esq; of Letterew[e], the proprietor, by Dingwall ; to Mr John Simpson, writer in Dingwall ; or to Mess. Alexander and Colin Mackenzies, writer to the signet, in Edinburgh."
[Source: “An extensive sheep farm,” The Caledonian Mercury [Scotland], 3 March 1792, page 4, column 2; British Newspaper Archive, database with images (https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk : accessed 23 November 2020), citing Letterew [sic], Gairloch. The advert was also printed in the same newspaper on 7 and 10 March 1792.]
The let does not seem to have lasted long, as an advertisement was placed towards the end of 1794, for a new tenant to enter in November:
"LEASE OF A SHEEP FARM AND STOCKING / TO BE SOLD, for behoof of the CREDITORS of LIEUTENANT MURDO MACKENZIE, Cattle-dealer in the County of Ross. / THE LEASE of the FARM of LETTEREW[E], lying in the parish of Gairloch, and county of Ross, of which there are fifteen years to run from Whitsunday first, and which may be entered to at Martinmas first. / This Farm is extremely well calculated for Sheep Wels[?] lying alongside of the lake of Lochmaree for an extent of twelve miles in length, and from two to three miles in breadth, abounding in excellent pasture and shelter, and capable of maintaining a flock of 3000 sheep at least. There is water carriage along the lake till within a mile of the harbour of Poolew[e], from which a ready conveyance can always be had to markets for wool, and occasions an easy supply of meal, and other necessaries. / The rent is 170 l. Sterling, from which the proprietor gave a deduction of 6 l. for a privilege of keeping a hundred sheep with the tenant's flock. / Also, the STOCKING of SHEEP presently on the said Farm, consisting of Ewes, Lambs, Hogs and Wedders [sic], which will be sold preferably to the purchaser of the lease; but if not sold in that way, they will be sold in such parcels as purchasers may incline, and the whole wool of this year’s fleecing. / There is a very good Dwelling-house and Office-houses on the Farm, capable of accommodating a genteel family for a farmer and there is an extent of arable land in the close neighbourhood of the house, upon which as much meal and other necessaries might be raised as would be necessary for the shepherds. There is also an excellent garden, well stocked with fruit trees. / Proposals may be given in to Mess. Alexander and Colin Mackenzies, writers to the signer, Edinburgh—or to Murdo Downie, writer in Dingwall, the trustee for the creditors. / George Haliday, shepherd at Auchnasheen [sic], will shew the bounds and stocking."
[Source: “Lease of a sheep farm and stocking,” The Caledonian Mercury [Scotland], 18 October 1794, page 1, column 3; British Newspaper Archive, database with images (https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk : accessed 23 November 2020), citing Letterew [sic], Gairloch.]
Entry in Ordnance Survey Name Book
When Letterewe was surveyed in the middle of the 19th century, the Ordnance Surevey described it as follows:
"Letterewe […] Applies to a beautiful ancient dwelling house with Farm Steading attached. The pro. [property] of M. Bankes Esq. Letterewe. (*situate about 9 miles W. [West] of Kinlochewe)."
[Source: Ordnance Survey, “Name Books, Ross and Cromarty Mainland, 1848-1852,” Ms, volume 39, page 201, held by National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh; ScotlandsPlaces (https://www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk : accessed 22 November 2020), database with images, entry for Letterewe, Parish of Gairloch, citing reference OS1/28/39/201.]
At the time of writing (2020) The house at Letterewe is a private property available to let, known as Letterewe Lodge. See: https://letterewe-estate.com.
The address of the property is Letterewe, Loch Maree, Achnasheen, Ross-shire, IV22 2HH, Scotland.