How to Participate
Please contact the Study's coordinator Maggie Andersson or post a comment at the foot of the page. If you have any questions, just ask. Thanks!
The main goal is to locate the first person in a Lindgren family using that name.
Since it is a One Name Study, it is also a place to collect information about the surname and the variants of that name (Lindgreen for example). The hope is that other researchers like you will join our study to help make it a valuable reference point for people studying lines that cross or intersect.
Origin of the surname
Lindgren is common in both Sweden and Finland. In Sweden it was usually a soldier's name from the beginning, so there would be several families using the name who are not necessarily related to each other. If one should translate the name to English then "Lind" is referring to the lime tree and "gren" means branch.
For Swedish emigrants to North America, I have seen spelling variants such as Lindgreen and Lingren in their new country.
Where was this Swedish Lindgren born, who emigrated and settled in Norway? https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Lindgren-948
- Set up categories for Swedish Lindgrens (https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Space:Category_Guidelines_for_Name_Studies) in order to add the first soldiers with the name Lindgren (which later on used Lindgren as a family name) once they have been identified.
- Search for soldiers given the name Lindgren and the families that kept it as family name. Add a profile for the soldier as well as the first generation of family using the name.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: One Name Studies WikiTree and Maggie Andersson. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)