- If you create an in-line reference in a profile Biography, do you then also need to create a Source separately?
These are the non-approved non-recommended styles for sources
- Using free space pages for sources, with HTML tags not recommended?
- Proposed ULTIMATE Solution to Source Policy that Satisfies Everyone [closed]
- Changes in Inline Citation Styling?
- Help:Alternative Sourcing Methods
Span Tags G2G Posts
Footnotes in separate list
Essentially this code allows you to create a separate "type" of references that are listed in a different manner than <references/> . The footnotes in the biography will link to the specific footnote at the end and vice versa. So it's effectively like a second references list, but used exclusively for comments on the text (e.g. explanations for logic, etc).
NAME2 is the reference name for the actual footnote object at the bottom of the text, NAME1 is the reference name for the footnote mark (the 1 or a) ) in the text. Things with the ID NAME2 will direct the page to the footnote object at the bottom, while things with the ID NAME1 will bring you back to the mark. NAME3 is what you want the little mark to display as - the example farther below uses a) as an alternative numbering system than the numbers already used in <ref> </ref> tags.
<sup id="_<NAME1>" class="reference">[[#_<NAME2>|(<NAME3)]]</sup>
<ol style="list-style-type:lower-alpha;"> <li id="_<NAME2>">[[#_<NAME1>|↑]] <INSERT TEXT> </li> </ol>
<sup id="_birth_0" class="reference">[[#_birth|(a)]]</sup>
<ol style="list-style-type:lower-alpha;"> <li id="_birth">[[#_birth_0|↑]] Viola's middle name and precise date and place of birth aren't mentioned in any published sources, only in a few family possessions. This information may be recorded in her marriage license or death certificate.</li> <li id="_texas">[[#_texas_0|↑]] The family may also have lived in Texas for a short time. Her husband A. C.'s and son Rex's Social Security Numbers were issued in Texas sometime before 1951, and a grandson was born in Houston in 1937.</li> </ol>
Research Notes Heading Discussions
- Help:Research Notes
- Research Notes - Best practice
- == Research Notes == heading first?
- Placement of "Research Notes"
- Mentors Tips - did you know you can place research notes directly to a profile?