Location: Cushing, Oklahoma
Surnames/tags: Cushing Oklahoma Wheeler Pioneer Schools
Lone Oak School, District No. 9, located by Cushing, Oklahoma. By Glen A. Smith.
Lone Oak School was organized soon after the opening of the Sac and Fox Country, in 1891. The school was located in what was called County "A", which later became Lincoln County.
This portion of land for the school was donated by the Phillip D. Wheeler family. The Wheeler family had homesteaded the Northeast Quarter of Section 29-17N-5E. The first school house was constructed from logs and was used until a stone building was constructed by the Hopkins brothers, who both live in this district. Some of the families who had children in this early day school were; Tom Hopkins, John Hopkins, Bonebrake, Shotwell, Grother, Lindley, McLaury, Smith, Tanner, Dungan, Waller, Corbin, Schnack, Beall, and Morris.
In 1922, a larger school was built of brick, with lots of windows and a large stage. During the 1920's and 1930's, the school was attended by 30 to 40 students.
Some of the early teachers were, Ms. Quckenbush, Mable Haskins, George Dungan, Ethyl Taylor, Pearl Polk and Herman Long.
When I started to school in 1924, Ethel (Taylor) Dungan was the teacher. After her, came Ms. Green, Ruby Haskins, Cora (Haskins) Shotwell, Ruby (Prescott) Olliver, Lillian Lucas, Vermont Smith and Barbara Holderread.
As in most rural schools, most community social events were held in the school house, plus pie suppers, Thanksgiving and Christmas Program.
In 1947, Lone Oak School was consolidated with Sunnyside School in Payne County, and her later became part of the Cushing School System.
The school building was destroyed by fire a few years ago. The only thing left is the storm cellar.
The Young Cushians
Lone Oak School
Lone Oak School was so named because one lone oak tree stood upon the portion of land given for the school by the Phillip Wheeler family. The first 14’ x 14’ building was built of logs and rough boards placed upright. Boards were used for seats for the pupils, among whom were Florence Lindley, Charles strong, Orlando Shotwell, Floyd McLaury and Lou Grother. Members of the first school board were the Rev. D.A. McLaury, F.M. Bonebrake and Tom Lindley. After two years in the log building, Tom and John Hopkins built a substantial stone building which was twelve by sixteen feet in size. real desks were obtained for this school which was held for a six month term.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)