Surnames/tags: LOS_ANGELES_COUNTY_ CALIFORNIA California
|Downtown Los Angeles|
Los Angeles County Neighborhoods
- Angelino Heights
Angelino Heights is a small quarter within the Echo Park district of Los Angeles, California. It is most notable for its high concentration of Victorian-era residences. Originally spelled Angeleno Heights, Angelino Heights is second only to Bunker Hill as the oldest district in Los Angeles. Founded in 1886, it was originally connected to the downtown mainline (which ran east to west on Temple Street) by the Temple Street Cable Railway and later by streetcars. The district contains many notable examples of Victorian architecture, particularly of the Eastlake and Queen Anne styles, and though found throughout the neighborhood, they are especially concentrated on Carroll Avenue.
Arleta is a community in the San Fernando Valley.
- Beachwood Canyon
Beachwood Canyon is a community in the Hollywood Hills. The upper portion of the canyon is the Hollywoodland community that was advertised in the 1920s by the original of what is now known as the Hollywood Sign. The canyon features its own market, cafe, florist, and stables. Beachwood Canyon was first developed in the 1920s by West Hollywood's founder, Moses Hazeltine Sherman; Los Angeles Times publisher Harry Chandler; and real estate mogulSidney Hawks Woodruff (who also developed Dana Point).
- Bel Air
The community was founded in 1923 by Alphonso Bell. Bell owned farm property in Santa Fe Springs, California, where oil was discovered. He bought a large ranch with a home on what is now Bel Air Road. He subdivided and developed the property with large residential lots, with work on the master plan led by the landscape architect Mark Daniels. He also built the Bel-Air Beach Club in Santa Monica and the Bel-Air Country Club. His wife chose Italian names for the streets. She also founded the Bel-Air Garden Club in 1931. 
- Boyle Heights
Boyle Heights was called Paredon Blanco (White Bluff) when California was part of Mexico. The area is named afterAndrew A. Boyle, an Irishman who purchased 22 acres on the bluffs overlooking the Los Angeles River after fighting in the Mexican-American War. 
Brentwood was part of the Rancho San Vicente y Santa Monica, a Mexican land-grant ranch sold off in pieces by the Sepúlveda family after the Mexican-American War. The neighborhood began its modern development in the 1880s and hosted part of the pentathlon in the 1932 Summer Olympics. 
- Bunker Hill
Bunker Hill is a historic prominence that traditionally separated Downtown Los Angeles from the rest of the city to the west before the hill was tunneled through at Second Street in 1924. In the late 20th century, the hill was lowered in elevation, and the entire area was redeveloped to supplant old frame and concrete buildings with modern high-rises and other structures for residences, commerce, entertainment, and education. The Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels is also on Bunker Hill. In 1867, a wealthy developer, Prudent Beaudry, purchased a majority of the hill's land. Because of the hill's excellent views of the Los Angeles Basin and the Los Angeles River. 
- Cahuenga Pass
"The Cahuenga Pass connects the Los Angeles Basin to the San Fernando Valley via U.S. Route 101 (Hollywood Freeway) and Cahuenga Boulevard. It is the lowest pass through the mountains. It was the site of two major battles: the Battle of Cahuenga Pass in 1831 (a fight between local settlers and the Mexican-appointed governor and his men; two deaths), and the Battle of Providencia or Second Battle of Cahuenga Pass in 1845 (between locals over whether to secede from Mexico; one horse and one mule killed). Both were on the San Fernando Valley side near present-day Studio City, and cannonballs are still occasionally found during excavations in the area. Along the route of the historic El Camino Real, the historic significance of the pass is also marked by a marker along Cahuenga Blvd. which names the area Paseo de [Cahuenga."https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cahuenga_Pass]
- Century City
The land of Century City belonged to cowboy actorTom Mix (1880-1940), who used it as a ranch. It later became a backlot of 20th Century Fox, which still has its headquarters just to the southwest. The area is named for the 20th Century Fox's Century Property. In 1956,Spyros Skouras, who served as the President of 20th Century Fox from 1942–62, and his nephew-in-law Edmond Herrscher (died 1983), an attorney sometimes known as "the father of Century City", decided to repurpose the land for real estate development. The following year, in 1957, they commissioned a master-plan development from Welton Becket Associates, which was unveiled at a major press event on the "western" backlot later that year. In 1961, after Fox suffered a string of expensive flops, culminating with the financial strain put on the studio by the very expensive production of Cleopatra, the film studio sold about 180 acres to developer William Zeckendorf and Aluminum Co. of America, also known as Alcoa, for US$300 million (US$2.4 billion in 2014's money). Herrscher had encouraged his uncle-in-law to borrow money instead, but once Skouras refused, he was out of the picture. The new owners conceived Century City as "a city within a city". In 1963, the first building, Gateway West Building, was completed. The next year, in 1964, Minoru Yamasaki designed the Century Plaza Hotel. Five years later, in 1969, architects Anthony J. Lumsden and César Pelli designed the Century City Medical Plaza. Much of the shopping center's architecture and style can be seen in numerous sequences in the 1967 Fox film, A Guide for the Married Man, as well as in a sequence in another Fox film of the same year, Caprice. Century City's plaza as it appeared in the early 1970s can be viewed in several scenes of still another Fox film, Conquest of the Planet of the Apes (1972)."
Crenshaw is a largely residential neighborhood of single-story houses, bungalows and low-rise condominiums and apartments. There are also commercial buildings with an industrial corridor along Jefferson Boulevard. There are also several other commercial districts throughout the neighborhood. George Crenshaw
- Cypress Park
"The area was granted as Rancho San Rafael to Jose María Verdugo in October 1784. In 1859, Julio Antonio Verdugo sold the southern tip of the rancho to Jessie D. Hunter, who had first arrived in Los Angeles in 1847 as a Captain in the Mormon Battalion during the Mexican-American War. Hunter had previously acquired the Rancho Cañada de Los Nogales, which contains most of present-day Glassell Park. Hunter had established the first kiln-fired brickyard in Los Angeles, but sold it and took up farming when he acquired the rancho land. After Hunter’s death, the land was subdivided as the Hunter Tract and, in 1882, Cypress Park became the first of the Arroyo Seco communities to come into existence, predating Highland Park by three years"
- Eagle Rock
"Eagle Rock is a neighborhood of Northeast Los Angeles, located between the cities of Glendale and Pasadena, abutting the San Rafael Hills in Los Angeles County, California. Eagle Rock is named after a large rock whose shadow resembles an eagle with its wings outstretched. Eagle Rock was once part of the Rancho San Rafael under Spanish and Mexican governorship. Although Eagle Rock became a city in 1911, it joined the City of Los Angeles in 1923. Rancho San Rafael was divided into 31 parcels in 1870. Benjamin Dreyfuswas awarded what is now called Eagle Rock. In the 1880s Eagle Rock existed as a farming community. The construction of Henry E. Huntingtons Los Angeles Railway trolley line up Eagle Rock Blvd. to Colorado Blvd. and on Colorado to Townsend Ave. commenced the rapid suburbanization of the Eagle Rock Valley." 
- Echo Park
First established in 1892, and long before "Hollywood" became synonymous with the commercial film industry, the area of Echo Park known as Edendale was the center of filmmaking on the West Coast Several silent film stars worked in the Edendale studios, including Mabel Normand, Fatty Arbuckle, Harold Lloyd, Gloria Swanson, Charlie Chaplin. 
- Elysian Park
"The southeastern corner of the park is near the Los Angeles River at the location where the Portolá expedition gave the river its name in 1769. The first Europeans to see inland areas of California camped near this spot on August 2, and California Historical Landmark #655 ("Portolá Trail Campsite") is located at the Meadow Road entrance. The park is also the city's oldest park, founded in 1886 by the Elysian Park Enabling Ordinance. It hosted shooting as well as the shooting part of the modern pentathlon event for the 1932 Summer Olympics."
"Historically the Fairfax District has been a center of the Jewish community in Los Angeles. It is known for the Farmer's Market, The Grove, CBS Television City broadcasting center, the Los Angeles Museum of the Holocaust in Pan Pacific Park, and Fairfax Avenue restaurants and shops."
The town of Garvanza was originally part of the Rancho San Rafael, owned by Jose María Verdugo. Its name comes from the fields of garbanzo beans that once flourished in the area. Andrew Glassell and Albert Beck Chapman bought the land in 1869. Glassell and Chapman sold the land to Ralph and Edward Rogers, real estate developers and brothers. In 1886 the Rogers brothers subdivided the land and began to sell lots in what they called the "Town of Garvanza". The town was annexed by the city of Los Angeles in 1899. Garvanza was the site of the Pisgah Home mission. 
- Glassell Park
The land that would later become Glassell Park was originally part of Rancho San Rafael, granted in 1784 to Spanish army corporalJose María Verdugo. Attorney Andrew Glassellreceived part of Rancho San Rafael from the lawsuit known as the Great Partition of 1871. Glassell eventually settled in the area with his family, for whom many streets, including Toland Way, Drew, Andrita and Marguarite Streets are named. The development of Glassell Park began in the early 20th Century, as subdivisions between Verdugo and San Fernando Roads began to be sold in 1907. In 1912, the city of Los Angeles annexed most of Glassell Park, annexing the remainder in 1916. The Glassell family continued to subdivide their land, selling off what is now Forest Lawn Memorial Park during the Great Depression.
- Gramercy Park
"The Gramercy Park neighborhood of Los Angeles is a 1.13-square-mile district in Los Angeles, California, within the South Los Angeles region. City signs around the borders of the neighborhood indicate that it is also called West Park Terrace."
- Hancock Park
"Hancock Park is a historic and affluent residential neighborhood in the central region of the City of Los Angeles, California. It has many mansions from the early 20th century. Many celebrities have been known to live here. Hancock Park is built around the grounds of a private golf club. The neighborhood features architecturally distinctive residences. Hancock Park was developed in the 1920s by the Hancock family with profits earned from oil drilling in the former Rancho La Brea. The area owes its name to developer-philanthropist George Allan Hancock, who subdivided the property in the 1920s. Hancock, born and raised in a home at what is now the La Brea tar pits, inherited 4,400 acres, which his father, Major Henry Hancock had acquired from the Rancho La Brea property owned by the family of Jose Jorge Rocha."
According to the diary of H.J. Whitley, also known as the Father of Hollywood, on his honeymoon in 1886 he stood at the top of the hill looking out over the valley, had an epiphany and decided to name his new town Hollywood. "Holly" would represent England and "wood" would represent his Scottish heritage. Whitley had already started over 100 towns across the western United States. Whitley arranged to buy the 480 acres E.C. Hurd ranch. They agreed on a price and shook hands on the deal. Whitley shared his plans for the new town with General Harrison Gray Otis, publisher of the Los Angeles Times, and Ivar Weid, a prominent businessman in the area. Daeida Hartell learned of the name Hollywood from Ivar Weid, her neighbor in Holly Canyon (now Lake Hollywood), and a prominent investor and friend of Whitley's. She recommended the same name to her husband,Harvey Wilcox, who had purchased 120 acres on February 1, 1887. It wasn't until August 1887 Wilcox decided to use that name and filed with the Los Angeles County Recorder's office on a deed and parcel map of the property. "
- Hyde Park
"Hyde Park is one of the oldest neighborhoods in the city of Los Angeles. It was "laid out as a town" in 1887 as a stop on the Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railway's Harbor Subdivision, which ran from Downtown Los Angeles to the port at Wilmington. It was incorporated as a city in 1922. 
- Kinney Heights
"Kinney Heights is a neighborhood in Los Angeles, California. The area was developed around 1900 by developer Abbot Kinney , for whom it is named. It was a suburban tract of large Craftsman-style homes at what was then the western edge of Los Angeles. The homes featured amenities like "beveled-glass china cabinets, marble fireplaces, and mahogany floors". It was accessible to downtown via streetcar and attracted upper-middle-class families. Many of the hundred-year-old homes are still standing and have been renovated and upgraded. The neighborhood is part of the West Adams Terrace Historic Preservation Overlay Zone."
- Los Feliz
"Los Feliz (Spanish: "the happy") is a hillside neighborhood in the central region of Los Angeles. The neighborhood is named after its colonial Spanish-Mexican land grantee, José Vicente Feliz , and, along with present-day Griffith Park, makes up the original Rancho Los Feliz land concession. The 6,647-acre Rancho Los Feliz, one of the first land grants in California, was granted to Corporal José Vicente Feliz. An old adobe house built in the 1830s by his heirs still stands on Crystal Springs Drive in Griffith Park. Other sections of the rancho were developed and became the communities of Los Feliz and Silver Lake. Rancho Los Feliz had a succession of owners after the Feliz family. One owner G.J. Griffith, donated over half of the ranch to the city of Los Angeles. 
- Pacific Palisades
"Pacific Palisades is a coastal neighborhood in the Westside of the city of Los Angeles, California, located among Brentwood to the east, Malibu and Topanga to the west, Santa Monica to the southeast In 1911, film director Thomas Ince created his Western film factory, "Inceville", which at its peak employed nearly 600 people. A decade later, the Rev. Charles H. Scott and the Southern California Methodist Episcopal Church bought the land; in 1922, Scott founded Pacific Palisades, envisioning an elaborate religious-intellectual commune. Believers snapped up choice lots and lived in tents during construction. By 1925, the Palisades had 100 homes. In one subdivision, sstreets were named for Methodist missionaries. The tents eventually were replaced by cabins, then by bungalows, and ultimately by multimillion-dollar homes. 
Rancho La Ballona "In Spanish and Mexican days, the area that later became Palms was a part of the Rancho La Ballona, wherein 1819 Agustín and Ygnacio Machado, along with Felipe Talamantes and his son, Tomás, acquired grazing rights to 14,000 acres of land. It was used as grazing land for cattle and sheep. La Ballona Valley was part of that land rush. In 1882, several Midwestern families chartered a reconditioned freight car and left their homes in Iowa, to settle in the valley. They held their first Sunday school in the old La Ballona School on Washington Boulevard, and in fall 1883 they organized a United Brethren Church with 11 members. About that time the valley drew the attention of three speculators – Joseph Curtis, Edward H. Sweetser and C.J. Harrison.They surveyed their land and cut it up, and then they sold it to the new arrivals. They planted 5,000 trees along eight miles of graded streets. They named it The Palms, even though they had to bring in palm trees and plant them near the train station. Their first tract map was dated December 26, 1886, which is now considered the birth date of Palms."
- San Pedro
"San Pedro /sænˈpiːdroʊ/ is a community within the city of Los Angeles, California. Formerly a separate city, it consolidated with Los Angeles in 1909. The Port of Los Angeles, a major international seaport, is partially located within San Pedro. San Pedro was named for St. Peter of Alexandria, a fourth-century bishop in Alexandria, Egypt. His feast day is November 24 on the local ecclesiastical calendar of Spain, the day on which Juan Rodríguez Cabrillo discovered the bay in 1542 which would be known as San Pedro. Santa Catalina Island, named after Catherine of Alexandria, was claimed for the Spanish Empire the next day, on her feast day, November 25. In 1602–1603, Sebastián Vizcaíno (1548–1624) officially surveyed and mapped the California coastline, including San Pedro Bay, for New Spain. 
- Santa Monica
The first non-indigenous group to set foot in the area was the party of explorer Gaspar de Portolà, who camped near the present-day intersection of Barrington and Ohio Avenues on August 3, 1769. Named after the Christian Saint Monica. 
- Silver Lake
The neighborhood was named for Water Board Commissioner Herman Silver, who was instrumental in the creation of the Silver Lake Reservoir in the neighborhood, one of the water storage reservoirs established in the early 1900s. 
In 1839, La Ballona was granted by the Mexican government to the Machados and Talamantes, giving them title to Rancho La Ballona. Venice, originally called "Venice of America," was founded by tobacco millionaire Abbot Kinney in 1905. 
"The area now known as Watts is located on the 1843 Rancho La Tajauta Mexican land grant La Tajuata land was sold off and subdivided for smaller farms and homes, including a 220-acre parcel purchased by Charles H. Watts in 1886 for alfalfa and livestock farming. In those days each Tajuata farm had an artesian well. 
In the late 1930s, real estate magnate Fritz Burns and his partner Fred W. Marlow developed a tract of inexpensive prefabricated single-family homes on the site of a former hog farm at the intersection of Manchester and Sepulveda Boulevards. This community, dubbed "Westchester", grew as the aerospace industry boomed in World War II and afterward. A Los Angeles Times article in 1989 described the development as "a raw suburb", "created willy-nilly in the 1940s"
"Westlake was developed in the 1920s, many of its mansions have converted into apartments.
"Westwood is the home of the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA). The neighborhood was developed after 1919, with a new campus of the University of California opened in 1926. https://www.wikitree.com/index.php?title=Space:Los_Angeles_County%2C_California&public=1