Surnames/tags: Categorization Project Templates
Poll on what information the Categorization Project would like to have on category pages
Please edit this section of this page and indicate which of the following you would like to have on category pages to facilitate your work on Wikitree in general and with the Categorization Project in particular. For this particular poll, the question is just do you want the information somewhere on the category page. How it should be displayed and how it will get there will be the subject of later polls.
- 1. which projects are associated with maintenance of the category
- 2. how to get help and more information including
- a) a link to general help pages on how to categorize
- b) a link to specific guidelines on selecting, creating and formatting categories if the category is part of an approved structure with an explanation document or guidelines
- c) what tags to use when posting a question about a category to G2G, and
- 3. when the category is a high level category that should not be placed directly on profiles.
Record your votes here:
If there are other bits of information you would like to see on category pages, please add your comments here:
I think anything that is standardized across all categories should be minimized, and maximum play retained for projects and individuals to determine what best suits a particular category. We really want to promote creativity, and retard it only when it gets in the way of very important objectives.Day-1904 02:58, 18 July 2018 (UTC)
I support what Jack says above. That explains my quibble in 2a. I'm not convinced there should be too many all-embracing guidelines. Martin Allen
If these templates going to be present at category creation as part of the code, I'm fine with them. But If we expect people to add these templates when they create categories, it will be inconsistent. I'm not sure I like the idea of having links to help on every category page, but links to specific guidelines is overkill. Too many "all-embracing guidelines" can be confusing for people trying to categorize. Natalie (Changed vote on 2a because, yes, it's already there, so we don't need an extra link Durbin-702 13:27, 18 July 2018 (UTC))
To explain my no's: 2a This link is in upper right corner. 2c It takes a lot of space and there isn't that many questions about the categories. If G2G is untagged, someone tags it in a day or two. 3. Maybe, but the text should be smaller. I will make a suggestion, that a profile is placed on Top level category and it will get removed eventually. Aleš
2a is already on every category, 2c I think is good in theory, but just becomes clutter. I agree with Aleš that the Top Level template needs to be reformatted.Harris-5439 12:36, 18 July 2018 (UTC)
Optional bits suggested by Liz, 18 July 2018:
- Related projects/categories, i.e.
- Link for parent project page/space page
- Link(s) for sub-project(s) space page(s)
- "Preceeded by [category link]" / "Followed by [category link]" (in the past I put categories under each other to help people find them/realize they existed - such as having [[Category:Virginia]] at the top of the [[Category:Virginia Colony]] page and vice versa - but was told that's not appropriate. The alternative is preceded by/followed by links in the text at the top of a category page.