Location: Maineville, Ohio
Surnames/tags: Ohio Villages
Maineville, Ohio was incorporated as a village on 23 March 1850 but the first settler dates back to about 1802 when John Wilson first cleared some land. The first permanent settlers arrived in 1815. Moses Dudley, who died in 1842, purchased 200 acres in the area. Dr. John Cottle came from Maine in 1818. Benjamin Tufts and his family arrived from Maine in 1822. One of the earliest businesses in Maineville was a wagonmaker's shop owned by Josiah Greeley and Robert Blackstone. Nathan Butterworth and Sherman Knowlton were in the mercantile business. Both of these men died in the cholera epidemic of 1850. This was about the time that Col. James Ford arrived from Maine.
GPS Coordinates: 39.31694, -84.22278
County: Warren County
Wikidata: Item Q2013104
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)