Location: Ballance, Pahiatua, Manawatu-Wanganui, New Zealand
Surnames/tags: cemeteries New_Zealand
Mangahao Cemetery, or Mangahao-Ballance Cemetery
Mangahao Cemetery is administered by the Mangahao Cemetery Trust, and information is available through the Tararua District Council. The cemetery is situated about 7km west of Pahiatua.
The first burial here was that of Matilda Jane Thomas on the 5th October 1895. The nearest township, PAHIATUA (meaning "The Home of the Gods), was founded by William Wilson McCardle who is buried in Mangatainoka with family members. However some of his children are buried at Mangahao Cemetery.
106 Ballance Road, Pahiatua, Manawatu-Wanganui 4983
GPS Co-ordinates: -40.42768, 175.78904
- Terence Patrick Ness - killed in France 1917
- Thomas Jeremiah Ness - killed Belgium
- Athol Wallace Smith - killed in Israel 1917
- Leonard Herbert Sowry - killed in France 1917
- James Arthur Tait - killed in Belgium 1917
New Zealand Cemeteries Team
This page is maintained by the New Zealand Cemeteries Team, who are part of the Global Cemeteries Project (and the Oceania Cemeteries Team). The aim is is to document the final resting place of those buried in New Zealand, to ensure that each cemetery has its own free-space page, which is linked to the category structure for Global Cemeteries, and that those buried in them are also gathered in the correct category.
- Currently there are 2 profiles listed on Wikitree for this cemetery, which is well short of the number of interments estimated at this location. On Find-a-Grave there are 252 entries, and Billion Graves has 246. Irwin-2099 10:47, 22 January 2019 (UTC)
The overall progress of this endeavour will be found on the NZ Cemeteries Team Progress page.