Errors in a frequently copied Martin Pedigree
Background and Rationale
- Frequently duplicated profiles, linked in some way from the Martin Family of Athelhampton to emigrants to the New World.
- The pedigree in black text comes from one attached in word format to many ancestry trees. It purports to trace a Martin family living in America back to William of Falaise. It appears that this may be the ancestry contained in a book often cited on internet trees. The title of this book claims that these Martin familes are descendants of Martin de Tours and his wife, Geva de Burci, 1033-1991 The abstract of the book includes the following
:John Martin the son of Thomas Martin and Mary Elizabeth Gerrard who lived at Pale Park in Dorsetshire, England. He came to America as did his brothers. He was living in York County, Virginia in 1650
- Dating and other errors from this pedigree, have been in evidence on wiki tree. Some have been corrected but there are probably some profiles still affected ( often when new profiles are added the dates are estimated according to whatever is there before; if this is incorrect, errors are compounded.
- This document (for want of a better word) seeks to show the errors in the pedigree. Evidence is included in more detail in each wiki-tree profile, major individuals are linked to their profiles. The 'corrective text' is in red.
Possibly Original Version
18. ROBERT MARTIN (THOMAS17, UNKNOWN16, WILLIAM 15, THOMAS14, SIR RICHARD13, ROBERT12, OLIVER11, ROBERP10, ROBERT9, ROBERT8, WILLIAM7, NICHAL US5, ROBERTUS4, LORDD BARON WILLIAM FITZMARTIN 3, BARON ROBERTUS 2, GEVA DE BURCI 1, WILLIAM DE FALAISE)
- was born Abt. 1539 abt 1510;probably earlier in Athelhamson House, England,
- and died Unknown in Unknown. 18 July 1548 (From his Inquisition post Mortem)
- He married ELIZABETH KELWAY Unknown in Unknown.
- She was born Unknown in Unknown,She was Probably born Rockbourne, Hampshire and died at Milton Abbas as the second wife of John Tregonwell, writing her will in 1582
- Child of ROBERT MARTIN and ELIZABETH KELWAY is:
- THOMAS’ MARTIN, b. Ak. 1562, PaIe Park, Dorsetshire, Englan4; J. Ak. 1637, Unknown.
- Children of ROBERT MARTIN and ELIZABETH KELWAY included
- Nicholas (heir born 22 Feb 1529/30 yob calculated from fathers IPM, aged 20 on 22 Feb 1549/50)
- Thomas c. 1531 (1530 on Houses of Parliament history but second son and Nicholas born 1530)
- Generation No. 19
- 19. THOMAS MARTIN was born Abt. 1562 in Pale Park, Dorsetshire, England. He was born c.1531 Athelhampton ( He didn't inherit Park Pale until his Uncle Henry Martin died)
- and died Abt. 1637 in Unknown. He died intestate in 1583 (see History of Houses of Parliament) http://www.histparl.ac.uk/volume/1558-1603/member/martin-thomas-1530-83
- He married MARY ELIZABETH GIRRARD (Elizabeth (Gerrard) Martin) Unknown in Unknown, daughter of WILLIAM GERRARD and ELIZABETH UNKNOWN. She was born Unknown in Trent, England, and died Unknown in Unknown.
- Thomas married Elizabeth Gerrard on 25 November 1561 at Trent, Somerset. She was the daughter of William Gerard and his wife Mary Storke. She was born in about 1540, probably at Trent.
- Elizabeth died in 1587/8 leaving a will. She called herself 'widow of Parke Pale) https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Space:Will_of_Elizabeth_Martyn%2C_Widow_of_Parkepale%2C_Dorset_1588
- Children of THOMAS MARTIN and MARY GIRRARD Elizabeth Gerrard are:
- FRANCIS= MARTIN, b. Abs. 1586, Possible Dorsetshire, England; d. Unknown, Unknown.
- THOMAS MARTIN, b. Abs. 1588, Possible Dorsetshire, England; d Unknown, Unknown.
- WILLIAM MARTIN, b. Abs.1590,Possible Dorsetshire, England; d. Unknown, Unknown.
- 20. iv.JOHN MARTIN, b. Abs. 1596, Pale Park, Dorsetshire, England; d. Abs. 1673, York County, Virginia
- Children of THOMAS MARTIN and ELIZABETH GERRARD included
- Francis Martin, baptised, 15th July 1562, Trent, Somerset (named Mother's will
- Thomas Martin, baptised, 20th June 1563, Trent, Somerset (probably the Thomas buried 11 October, Puddletown (i.e. church containing Martin Chapel)
- John Martin, c 1564 no baptism found, but 2nd son in Mother's will.
- William Martin,c.1565 no baptism found, named Mother's will, 3rd son aged 58 in 1623 visitation of Dorset
- Elizabeth baptised 13 Nov 1567,Trent (named Mother's will)
- Nicholas baptised 3rd Jan 1570/1, Trent (named Mother's will)
- Cisely baptised 16th May 1572, Trent (named Mother's will)
- Catherine, baptised January 1573/4, Trent (named Mothers Will.
Generation No. 20
- John Martin was born Abt.1596 in Pale Park, Dorsetshire, England,and died Abt. 1673 in York County, Virginia He married MAUDE MARSHALL Abt. 1640 in England. She was born Abt. 1615 in France, and died Abt. 1670 in York County, Virginia.
- John Martin the son of Thomas Martin and Elizabeth Gerrard was born 30 years earlier, in c. 1564 .His place of birth unknown but possibly Trent, Somerset where his family lived at the time. His date and place of death are unknown but it is very probable that he was not alive in 1623 see note at end he would have been 75 years old at this marriage and over 100 at his death
- A muddled (conflated) version of this John was originally on wikitree; the wife was not linked, he was unlinked and the profile became one of the conflated John Martins The profile is now here:https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Martin-4460 (note this profile still contains research notes in a rather jumbled order and needs tidying up)
- version 2 was then added to wiki-tree, this adds in another generation.
- John Martin b 1616 at Park Pale is now said to be the son of Thomas (thus grandson of Thomas Martin and Elizabeth Gerrard) His wife is still Maude Marshall who is also said to have been born at Park Pale. They are also said to have got married at Park Pale in 1640.
- This John Martin has three children, one born in Essex, England, d in Essex,Virginia, one in Ireland ,died in King William County Virginia, one born in Stepney,Middlesex (no death)
- The only sources on this version of John's profile are Dorset, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, US Sons of the American Revolution Membership Applications. These are meaningless. There is no Baptism or Marriage for a John Martin at Park Pale which doesn't even have a church (it's in the parish of Tolpuddle, registers do not exist for this period)
There is no clear evidence as to what happened to Thomas (b 1664) he was alive in 1587 when his mother wrote her will However, although the 1623 Visitation includes all four sons, listed in correct birth order, Francis, John, William and Nicholas, only William is stated to be married with a child. His 19 year old son, Thomas was stated to be heir to Park Pale (Young Thomas was the one who signed the visitation) Later documents show that Thomas had inherited the property by 1645 when it was sequestered for his recusancy. If his 2 older brothers were still living, why did William inherit?