Location: Massachusetts, United States
Surnames/tags: Massachusetts Cemeteries
Welcome to the Massachusetts Cemeteries Team, a sub-team of the North East Region, and part of the United States Cemeteries Team which is part of the North American Cemeteries Team and the Global Cemeteries Project.
The goal of the Massachusetts Cemeteries Team is to record the final resting place of people buried in Massachusetts, United States and to oversee the categories and free-space pages relating to the cemeteries in which they are buried.
Team Leader: Natalie Trott
About Cemetery Category Names for Massachusetts
Massachusetts is divided first by Counties, then by municipal corporations (cities and towns) with their own governments. When creating Category Names for Massachusetts, the valid formats are:
- [[Category:Cemetery Name, Town, State]] (If the cemetery is in a town, it uses the town name)
- [[Category:Cemetery Name, City, State]]; (if the cemetery is in a city, it uses the city name)
- [[Category:Cemetery Name, County, State]]; (if the cemetery is outside of a city or town, it uses the county name)
Massachusetts contains many villages which are non-municipal entities and are also sometimes census-designated places. One example: Newton Lower Falls, which is a village of the city of Newton. It has no administrative functions and is a village of the city of Newton, Massachusetts. Therefore, it should not be used as a cemetery category place name, even though it is used at Find a Grave. The list of villages in Massachusetts and their respective towns can be found here. Please use this as a reference when creating cemetery categories for Massachusetts.
If you are working on the "XYZ Cemetery" in Ingleside, Holyoke, Massachusetts, you will name the category [[Category:XYZ Cemetery, Holyoke, Massachusetts]]and nest this under [[Category:Hampden County, Massachusetts, Cemeteries]].The village, Ingleside, Massachusetts, may be cross-linked within the text of the cemetery.
- Massachusetts Cemeteries Category for a listing of documented cemeteries.
- For team progress see the Massachusetts Cemeteries Team Progress Page.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)