May Gibbs Gumnut Babies
Snugglepot and Cuddlepie are a series of books written by Australian author May Gibbs The books are about the adventures of Snugglepot and Cuddlepie, the girl gumnut babies hair, hats and skirts look like Eucalyptus flowers, May Gibbs used the yellow flowers of the Australian Golden Wattle as the skirts and hats for her Wattle Babies, and aged Banksia cones for the Banksia Men who are the villains of the story
Some of the wonderful characters in May Gibbs books were Snugglepot and Cuddlepie, Bib and Bub the Gumnut twins, Mr and Mrs Koala, Little Ragged Blossom, the Boronia, Wattle and Flannel flower Babies and Little Obelia. May Gibbs also illustrated and produced 33 patriotic postcards dressing her gumnut babies in uniform to support Australian troops in World War One. 3 of May Gibbs post cards were Are we downhearted ? , The Girls I left behind me and We are the Gumnut Corps we are going to the war (we'll make things hum , by gum) this is the best known of the 33 patriotic postcard designs produced by May Gibbs during World War One.The first book of the series, Tales of Snugglepot and Cuddlepie: their adventures wonderful was published in 1918.
Snugglepot and Cuddlepie
Snugglepot and Cuddlepie are Gumnut babies whos looks are modelled on the nuts from the Australian Gum tree, they are foster brothers who are always looking for adventure in the Australian bush with their many friends.During their many adventures Snugglepot and Cuddlepie are trying to stay out of the way of the villains of the story the big bad Banksia Men.
From Wikipedia May Gibbs described how the Banksia men became about
We came to a grove of Banksia trees and sitting on almost every branch were these ugly little, wicked little men that I discovered and that's how the Banksia Men were thought up.
The Wattle Babies were the last in a series of 5 books written and Illustrated by May Gibbs.The wattle babies skirts, hats and hair are modelled on the Australian Golden Wattle flowers.
Some of May Gibb's Book Covers
- Nutcote.org - The home of May Gibbs now a museum,Nutcote Trust Pty Ltd, May Gibbs Nutcote is jointly owned by the Mayor and General Manager of North Sydney Council. It is managed by a volunteer Board, which consists of members of the public and appointees from North Sydney Council.
- Musings by Lizzy Tish.com - The Adventures of Snugglepot and Cuddlepie
- Wikipedia - Snugglepot and Cuddlepie
- National Museum Australia - May Gibbs Wattle Babies
- Oz Words.org - 100 Years of the Gumnut Babies
- Australian Childrens Literature - May Gibbs