Clan Sponsor Stephen McCracken We have joined with WikiTree to do genealogical research on behalf of our McCracken Clan, from the Facebook Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/mccrackenclan/ All new members are very welcome.
The name is believed to have originated in Galloway. The name is believed to have been derived as an Anglicised form of mac Reachtain/McCrakaine/Creachainn which is also suggested as the source of the name MacNaughton, thus leading to a belief of association. There is no known family connection and recent DNA studies have found no genetic merit for the claim to be named as part of the McCNaughton family. Infact this claim only holds claim in the United States of America. Genetic Origins point to Viking Irish who settled the hills of Galloway. We recommend clan Genealogist Fiona who has a hons degree in Genealogy from Strathclyde email@example.com
According to Armorial families : a directory of gentlemen of coat-armour (Volume 2); by Arthur Charles Fox-Davies, the family bore, in 1802, Or, a tower sable, on a chief of the last a horse-shoe between two spurs inverted of the field. Depicted here.
- Mantling sable and or.
- Crest— On a wreath of the colours, in front of a horse's head couped sable, bridled argent, two swords in saltire or. At times A nags head, bridled and reigns broken.
- Motto: TRIA J IN ONO Three in One, Motto — " Omnia recte."
- Slogan: Dileas Goh-Eag - Faithful to the Last
- Region: Worldwide, originating in Galloway Scotland
- District: Wigtownshire, Ayrshire
- Plant badge: Thistle
- Gaelic name: McCracken/McCreckaine
Add your ancestor here, see Using Categories.