Surnames/tags: McCune McCoon McKoon
About the Project
The McCune Name Study project serves as a collaborative platform to collect information on the McCune name. The hope is that other researchers like you will join the study to help make it a valuable reference point for other genealogists who are researching or have an interest in the McCune name.
As a One Name Study, this project is not limited to persons who are related biologically. Individual team studies can be used to branch out the research into specific methods and areas of interest, such as geographically (England McCune's), by time period (18th Century McCune's), or by topic (McCune DNA, McCune Occupations, McCune Statistics). These studies may also include a number of family branches which have no immediate link with each other. Some researchers may even be motivated to go beyond the profile identification and research stage to compile fully sourced, single-family histories of some of the families they discover through this name study project.
Also see the related surnames and surname variants.
How to Join
Would you like to volunteer to help? We need volunteers to add sources, identify and make profiles for missing family members, and write biographies. You do not need to be a McCune descendant to help us out.
Please contact the project leader Paula Franklin or leave a comment at the foot of the page.Add the McCune Name Study sticker to your McCune profiles.
If you have any questions, just ask. Thanks!
We need volunteers willing to work on each family, including proper sourcing, biography writing and researching to take the family back farther or bring them forward. These are the oldest generation in each of these lines on WikiTree at the moment. It is also possible that they connect at some point. We will add new lines as we identify them.
If you are available to help with the research please let me know which line/team to include you on so everyone does not work on the same line.
The name on the link is to the profile of the elder of the family that is on WikiTree. The link to the right is a worksheet showing what is already on WikiTree. That way if you find additional people you will know to add them. Please feel free to make you a notes section on the bottom of the worksheet for any info you want to leave those that are also working on this name study.
- Catherine McCune 1825 Kentucky - Catherine McCune Sturgeon Family Line -
- Frederick Houston McCune 1877 Illinois - Frederick Houston McCune Family Line -
- Harriet J. McCune 1858 Wisconsin - Harriet J. McCune Perry Family Line -
- James McCune 1730 Pennsylvania - James McCune Family Line -
- James McCune1637 Scotland - James McCune Family Line -
- John McCune 1703 - John McCune Family Line -
- John Leander McCune 1830 Kansas - John Leander McCune Family Line -
- Joseph McCune 1830 Ireland - Joseph McCune Family Line -
- Margaret G. McCune 1826 Virginia - Margaret G. McCune Cullen Family Line -
- Mary Perlina McCune 1859 Ohio - Mary Perlina McCune Steen Family Line -
- Thomas McCune 1828 Ohio - Thomas McCune Family Line -
- Thomas B. McCune 1826 Kentucky - Thomas B. McCune Family Line -
- Thomas V. McCune 1805 Georgia - Thomas V. McCune Family Line -
- William Joseph McCune Jr. 1923 New York - William Joseph McCune Jr. Family Line -
- Paulcer B. McCune 1831 Virginia - Paulcer B. McCune Family Line - Brett Deem
Related Surnames and Surname Variants
This is a One Name Study to collect together in one place everything about one surname and the variants of that name. The hope is that other researchers like you will join our study to help make it a valuable reference point for people studying lines that may cross or intersect.
- Attempt to connect all the McCune's from the Unconnected Profile list below.
- Attempt to source all the McCune's from the Unsourced Profile list below.
- Attempt to get all orphaned McCune profiles adopted.
- Write good, informative biographies for each McCune profile.
- Gather all McCune profiles currently on WikiTree with the last name at birth of McCune.
- Extend the McCune surname on WikiTree.
- Determine the migrations of the many different McCune families.
- List of McCunes on Wikitree
- G2G feed of questions tagged "McCune"
- Orphaned McCune profiles on WikiTree
- Unsourced McCune profiles on WikiTree
- Unconnected McCune profiles on WikiTree
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Paula Franklin and One Name Studies WikiTree. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)