Welcome to the page for the Medieval Project's France team.
- To improve existing French medieval profiles and WikiTree's coverage of medieval France.
- To help the Medieval Project promote medieval profiles to the wider WikiTree community.
- To identify medieval French profiles that need research or improvement.
Please feel free to contact Michael for advice or support.
How to Join the Team
Members of the team must have pre-1500 certification. If you do not have this, please see the pre-1500 profiles help page for more information.
To join the team, please contact the team leader, Michael Cayley. You may already be a member of the Medieval Project. If so, great! If not, Michael will make you a Project member at the same time as he makes you a team member.
A warm thanks to everyone who wants to be part of this team.
Choosing Profiles to work on
Initially we would like to focus much of our effort on existing profiles with inadequate sourcing or questionable relationships, and on profiles where the biography needs substantial improvement. Over time we would like to build up a list of profiles that need attention, using Maintenance Categories. Five of these have been set up: do add profiles to these.
- Category: Medieval Project, France, needs sourcing for profiles which are either unsourced or have virtually no sourcing
- Category: Medieval Project, France, uncertain existence: it may be possible to find evidence to substantiate the existence of some of the people in this category
- Category: Medieval Project, France, needs relationship check for profiles where relationships are uncertain or no source is given for them
- Category: Medieval Project, France, needs basic fact check for profiles wher basic vital details such as birth and death dates need to be checked or researched
- Category: Medieval Project, France, needs biography for profiles where there is little or nothing in the biography section or the biography needs rewriting or substantial attention
Once you have developed and improved a profile, or while you are doing this, you may want to tackle other members of the family. It can be productive to work on a set of related people for whom some of the sources are the same.
Some members may want to work on a family line, or a specific area of medieval France, or focus mainly on a particular part of the medieval period. If you have a specific focus, please tell the team leader.
Collaboration and Communication
Please respect the WikiTree guidance on communication before making major changes. If you are going to be doing major work on a profile and it is managed by someone else, please put a comment on the profile in advance: and please add a comment when you have finished the main work you plan on the profile.
The team collaborates with the France Project. Particularly for the earlier medieval period, there may also be collaboration with the England Project and with the Medieval Project team for England and Wales. The France Project will be leaving most pre-1200 profiles to the Medieval Project.
Do use the Project's Google Group, and G2G, to seek help and advice and to invite input from others. If you have an idea for a "mini-project" on which several of us could work together, tell the team leader.
If you find a source that may help others, and that is not one of the standard medieval sources, please share it with the team! One way to do this is by adding a comment on this page. We may find it sensible to create a separate resources page for some of these sources.
The Medieval Project is not aiming to manage profiles unless there is a strong reason for doing so. More guidance on this is on the main Project page. If you think Project management or Project protection is needed for a profile, please contact the team leader.
Profile Improvement Checklist; Naming Standards
There is a checklist for profile improvement on the main Project page. This also has information on the naming standards we use. It will sometimes be necessary to discuss what is the best last name to use, especially for the earlier medieval period. A post on G2G linking to the profile is the best way to do it. Be sure to use all of the following tags on G2G posts: France, Pre-1500, and Medieval.
- Laura Bozzay
- Michael Cayley
- Isabelle (Marchal) Huth
- Andrew Lancaster
- Greg Lavoie
- David Leighr
- Isabelle Rassinot
- Login to request to the join the Trusted List so that you can edit and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: John Atkinson, Michael Cayley, Darlene Athey-Hill, and Medieval Project WikiTree. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)