Melrose_Place_Kendal-1.png

Melrose Place, Kendal

Privacy Level: Public (Green)
Date: 1896 [unknown]
Location: Kendal, Westmorland, Englandmap
Surnames/tags: House_History Street_Study Kendal_Westmorland
Profile manager: Martin White private message [send private message]
This page has been accessed 284 times.

Melrose Place was built to the order of Kendal leather merchant John Tebay in 1896. A warehouse previously occupied the site.

The property faces south-west, looking along New Road towards Miller Bridge. The south-west face includes the date stone and the entrance to No. 2 Melrose Place which forms the right-hand side of the property.

The left hand side is No. 1 Melrose Place, the entrance to which is in the north-west face on New Road.

The south-east wall borders the River Kent and its windows look out over the river to Gooseholme.

At the rear of the premises is a lane which provides access to the rear of the two properties, and also to the adjacent Lambrigg Terrace.

Past occupants of the two Melrose Place properties are shown below:

1 Melrose Place

1901 - Sarah Ellen Buckley nee Green and her sons Frederick William Buckley (railway porter) & Arthur Daniel Buckley (spirit merchant's errand boy)
1906 - Mary Boothroyd (Mrs)
1911 - Maurice John Pearson (1862-1928) (fellmonger & leather dresser)
1914 - John Painter
1921 - John Painter
1925 - John Painter
1939 - vacant
1980/81 - vacant
2004 - Aug 10 - sold for £122,000

2 Melrose Place

1901 - William Matthews (joiner carpenter), his wife
1906 - William Matthews
1911 - William Matthews
1914 - James Potter
1921 - Mrs Potter
1925 - Mrs Potter
1939 - James Hartley Butterworth (1865-1943) (retired barrister), wife Elizabeth and daughter Marian
1980/81 - Ground Floor Flat - Martin White (Provincial Insurance Company)
1980/81 - First Floor Flat - Alexander Kyle Morrow (1919-1985) (security officer for Provincial Insurance Company) and wife Dorothea Frances Morrow nee Kelly (1918 - 1991)
2004 - Mar 29 - sold for £142,500
2004-2011 - property used as offices for John E Taylor & Company Chartered Surveyors (dissolved 2014)
2011 - Oct 4 - planning approval given to convert property back to residential use
2013 - Apr 17 - sold for £145,000

Notes from the meeting of the Kendal Tactical Traffic group meeting held on 1 April 2009 stated "There have been some landownership issues to address outside Melrose Place, as well as discrepancies between landowner/ highways and common land ownership plans. The works on New Road Car Park and Gooseholme cannot be pursued until SLDC has resolved the common land issues."





Collaboration
Comments

Leave a message for others who see this profile.
There are no comments yet.
Login to post a comment.

Categories: Kendal, Westmorland