Surnames/tags: Middlesex England
Part of the England Project. Any Questions? contact a member of the Greater London and Middlesex Team
Quick Links: England Counties Team Page|The Middlesex County Category|The England Category|England Resources|Greater London Category
Middlesex is a historic county in southeast England. Its area is almost entirely within the wider urbanised area of London and mostly within the ceremonial county of Greater London, with small sections in neighbouring ceremonial counties. It was established in the Anglo-Saxon period from the territory of the Middle Saxons, and existed as an official administrative unit until 1965. The county is bounded to the south by the River Thames, and has the rivers Colne and Lea and a ridge of hills forming its other boundaries.
Middlesex was divided into 6 hundreds; namely Spelthorne, Isleworth, Elthorne, Gore, Ossulstone and Edmonton.
The administration of Middlesex over the last few hundred years is extremely complex and is bound-up with the administration of London. See More Information on London
Despite being surrounded by Middlesex the City of London was a separate Jurisdiction.
- Vision of Britain entry: Middlesex, England
- British History Online search results for Middlesex, England
- Wikipedia entry: Middlesex, England
- Wikiwand enrty: Middlesex, England
- Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England for Middlesex, England
- London's Lost Neighbourhoods on the Londonist has some interesting references to once well-known areas of London now largely forgotten.
- FamilySearch Wiki entry: Middlesex Genealogy
- FamilySearch index of Online Records for Middlesex, England
- UK Genealogy Archive (UKGA) enrtry: Middlesex, England
- Registration Districts in Middlesex: Middlesex, England
- Registration Districts in London: London, England
- GENUKI entry; Middlesex, England
- GENI page for London and Middlesex Genealogy Resources
- British History Online catalogue for the south-east
- British History Online Links to The History of the County of Middlesex and other useful resources, readable online.
- The parishes of Middlesex are very complicated. This Rootsweb page is a good source for them.
- London Metropolitan Archives is probably the most important repository for Middlesex records.
- London, Westminster and Middlesex Family History Society website
- West Middlesex Family History Society website
- The Joiner Marriage Index for Middlesex Marriages before 1837 can be found here
- Surrey Plus Wills Index for Middlesex on Rootsweb
- Pre 1837 scanned volumes of parish register transcriptions for St Paul's Church in Covent Garden and others if you scroll down here
- Protestation Returns (1642) for Middlesex here
WikiTree FreeSpace Resources
- Transactions of the London and Middlesex Archaeological Society: here
- Quakers in Middlesex
If you would like further help why not post a question on G2G Q&A
- Login to request to the join the Trusted List so that you can edit and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
Thanks, regards, Margaret, Categorization Project volunteer.