Miles Graveyard

Privacy Level: Open (White)
Date: 1854 to 1959
Location: Flagstop Lane off Barker Street, Fredericton, New Brunswickmap
Surnames/tags: Miles McGibbon Peters
This page has been accessed 383 times.

This page is part of the New Brunswick Cemeteries Team.

To see profiles associated with this cemetery, please see the Miles Graveyard Category Page. (There are none yet.)

Miles Graveyard is a small family cemetery that operated between 1854 and 1959. Most of the 18 stones are of the MILES family, but others include CARTER, MCGIBBON and PETERS. The plot is not visible on Google Maps because of the extensive deciduous tree cover. It is accessible from a new subdivision road called Flagstop Lane via Barker Street, and is situated on a small fenced-in knoll behind houses on Barker Street and Titus Street, on Fredericton's north side. The name of the historical community is South Devon. The cemetery measures approximately 16 x 16 metres.

The graveyard comprises two rows, between which is a Miles family commemorative stone that lists all the family members in the two rows, plus two other stones, and two corners. The earliest date commemorated is 1787 and the latest is 1959.

Row 1 is closest to the entrance. Two stones close to the middle are the couple John F., son of Captain James Miles, and Annie E. Miles. [Her surname is either not known or is Miles; this needs to be cleared up.] To the left are son Frank H. and to the right are daughters Ella A. and Fannie E., and another son Albert J. On the far left is Laura M. (MCLAUGHLIN) Miles, wife of Frank H. Miles.

The modern MCGIBBON Monument sits alone at the far left of Row 2, with three inscribed sides. Next is Captain James A. Miles, wife Sophie E. HARDING and their son Charles J.; these are the oldest graves. The stone of Sophia A. (Miles) PETERS sits at the far right.

Between rows 1 and 2 sits the Miles family commemorative stone containing the names of John F. and Annie E. Miles and their four children, on the front. On the back are the grandparents Captain James A. Miles, wife Sophia Harding and their son Charles J.

The main stone in the northwest corner is of Frank and Helen Miles, children of Jacob and Henrietta Miles; to the left is father Jacob Miles.

The northeast corner contains one stone for William CARTER, who was a domestic of members of the Miles family.

The PID (property identification) is 75460550 but the City of Fredericton states that the "selected area is not a valid property". The graveyard is surrounded by City of Fredericton land and is being developed with new housing on the eastern and southern sections.

See the Table of Graves for a list of the 18 graves and Maps and more views for maps and other views of Miles Graveyard.

This is an "orphaned" profile — there's no Profile Manager to watch over it. Please adopt this profile.

  • Login to edit this profile and add images.
  • Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)

Leave a message for others who see this profile.
There are no comments yet.
Login to post a comment.