- Work in progress Until this page is up and running, we recommend the use of Military and War Helpful Resources
Not even church books and other old documents are always correct. It is good practice to try find several sources to confirm the correctness of the data. Do not hesitate to ask your project or in G2G if you have a source you can't find on these lists.
- Published articles and books with sources cited. Publications through genealogical associations are often peer reviewed as well.
- Department of Veterans' Affairs nominal rolls by war: individual service records; note there are some errors on the database.
- Australian War Memorial: units, people, places, battles.
- National Archives of Australia:
- Virtual War Memorial Australia: is really a secondary source but is easy to navigate.
- Nominal Roll of Nashos 1951-72:
- Geneawiki has a good help page about the various available resources (in French).
- SGA - Mémoire des Hommes: digitised documents and data from the archives and collections held by the French Ministry of Defence.
- Service Historique de la Défense (SHD)
- Dossiers administratifs des résistants: Database of individual files of members of the French Resistance during World War II (no access to the files themselves - these have to be consulted in person at Vincennes).
- Individual military service files: these are available through Departmental Archives websites. See Registres des matricules militaires (Geneawiki) for help.
- Original documents in the The National Archives Service of Finland
- Finnish National Archives Database of soldiers killed in action 1939-1945
- Original documents in the Swedish National Archives
- SSHY, Suomen Sukuhistoriallinen yhdistys, FFHA, Finland's Family History Association - Digitized military rosters in the members only section.
- Karl XII:s officerare by Adam Lewenhaupt
- Suomalaiset Ensimmäisessä Maailmansodassa Finns During the First World War - A three book series of research issued by the Finnish Government in 2004.
- See also:
- A list of various sites both paid and free covering all date ranges
- English Army lists 03
- English Army List 04
- BHO Treasury Books
United States of America
- See also 1776 Project Reliable Sources
Reliable with conditions
- Find A Grave, Billiongraves and other cemetery sites would be deemed reliable only when a picture of the headstone is provided. Remember that even grave markers can have errors in name spelling and dates.
- Wikipedia and other Wiki's, including WikiTree are only as reliable as the sources they cite.
- User generated online trees like Geni, MyHeritage, Ancestry, FamilySearch, Rootsweb, Geneanet, etc. These kinds of sites can be used to find details that can lead to reliable sources. Some trees cite sources that can be used for your profiles when you have checked them out. Never use a user generated tree as source.
- A generic familysearch.com or ancestry.com should never be used as source citations. Always cite the specific documents where you found the information.
- International Genealogical Index (IGI) (FamilySearch Historical Records) where up to 50 % of the entries are user generated.
- Published books, articles and blogs that do not have sources listed.
- See also Category:Frauds_and_Fabrications