no image

Millgrove Cemetery, Millgrove, Ontario

Privacy Level: Public (Green)
Date: 1848 [unknown]
Location: Millgrove, Ontariomap
Surnames/tags: ontario cemeteries
This page has been accessed 287 times.

Established as the Grove Free Burying Ground by John Cummins, John Keen Crooker, and John Warren Ryckman in 1848.

Millgrove Cemetery has never been associated with a church and has always been a public burying ground/municipal cemetery.

The first burials occurred during the late 1830s. In 1848, the land was sold to the Trustees of the Millgrove Cemetery Board which included John Cummins, John Keen Crooker and John Warren Ryckman.

Initially the cemetery was maintained by individual plot-holding families but this led to the installation of fencing around some family sections which resulted in the rampant growth of shrubbery, especially lilacs. This policy eventually ended and by the 1890s the cemetery was cared for by one caretaker, William Shelton, who cut the grass with a scythe twice a year.

In 1914, the wooden post and wire fence that surrounded the cemetery was replaced with a stone fence and an iron gate paid for by Nellie M. McNichol (nee Flatt) in memory of John Ira Flatt and his wife, Rachel Cummins.

The cemetery is still open for burials and is maintained by the Millgrove Municipal Cemetery Board.



This is an "orphaned" profile — there's no Profile Manager to watch over it. Please adopt this profile.


Collaboration
  • Login to request to the join the Trusted List so that you can edit and add images.
  • Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
  • Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)


Comments

Leave a message for others who see this profile.
There are no comments yet.
Login to post a comment.