Location: United States
Surnames/tags: Minish Minnish Menich
How to Join
Please contact the project leader G. Moore or post a comment to the right. If you have any questions, just ask. Thanks!
This is a One Name Study to collect together in one place everything about the surname Minish and its variants. The hope is that other researchers like you will join our study to help make it a valuable reference point for people studying lines that cross or intersect. The current emphasis is on early Minish family members that came to Maryland and settled in Surry County, North Carolina in the 1700s and early 1800s.
Variations of the name Minish include: Minnish, Menish, Menich, Minick, Minnick, Mineck
Notable Minish Persons
- Joseph George Minish (1916-2007), American Democratic Party politician, Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from New Jersey (1963-1985)
- Add Category:Minish Name Study to existing profiles in Wikitree for persons with the last name of Minish or the wives and children of Minish persons. Only sourced profiles should include this category.
- Create profiles for descendants of Minishes with profiles and connect to the Global Tree.
- Search Find A Grave, FamilySearch, and Ancestry for other sourced persons with the last name of Minish and add their profiles to Wikitree.
Early Census Records
The following table shows the occurrences of the Name Minish and variations in the US Census records between 1790 and 1850. It shows the importance of looking for variations of spelling of the name when looking for Census records.
|Heads of Households in US Census with last name of "Minish"|
|Year||Total (all variations)||Total (just Minish)||Locations||Other Variations of Minish|
|1790||31||none||31 Minick, Minnick, Minick, Mineck, Manix, Menich: 3 in MD; 23 in PA; 3 in SC; 2 in NY|
|1800||122||3||James in Surry Co, NC; Mary in Dorchester Co, MD; Richard in Broad Creek, Somerset Co, MD||119 Minick, Minnick, Menech, Manick, Meanick, Minnyck: 7 in MD; 35 in PA; 1 in ME; 1 in CT; 3 in MA; 2 in NC (Manick)|
|1810||102||2||Richard in Gallatin Co, KY; Jacob in Donegal, Lancaster Co. PA||100|
|1820||113||3||James in Capt Dennies District, Surry Co, NC; Thomas in Capt Dennies District, Surry Co, NC; Richard in Gallatin Co, KY||110|
|1840||809||8||George and Richard in Carroll Co, KY; D. in Pike, Alleghany Co, NY; Darra D in Miami Co, OH; Thomas in Westmorland Co, PA; Albert in Passiac Co, NJ; George in Auora Co, IN; Jennie in Dearborn Co, IN;||801|
|1850||3,271||51||3,229 (23 Minnish; 533 Minick; 509 Minnick; 79 Menich; 55 Menick; 2 Manick; 79 Menich; 27 Minic; 3 Monix)|
The oldest Minish in the 1850 US Census was Elizabeth Menix, who was 105 years old (born in 1745)and living with David Hulet and Elizabeth Hulet (presumably her daughter) in Telfair County, Georgia. There is also a death certificate for an Abraham Minick, who died in Philadelphia, PA on Apr 13, 1821 and was born in 1745.
Problem Areas and Brick Walls
We are still working on understanding the Thomas and Elizabeth Minish family connections in Surry County, North Carolina.
- Sep 13, 2018, We have started with 21 profiles. The earliest Minish is James Minish and his wife Elizabeth Soloman Minish, born about 1765, possibly in Maryland
Sources and References
- The Minishes of Maryland, North Carolina, Georgia, and Kentucky, A Family History from Early 1700, editor William Harrison Minish, compiled by Bobby Hope Minish, William Harrison Minish, Publisher Evansville Bindery, 2011, Length 555 pages, Link, John Minish, son of John M. Minish (d. 1733) was born in Maryland. He married Elesabeth. They had five known sons. Their sons, James (1760-1836), Richard (1770-1843) and Isaac (1772-1849), settled in North Carolina, Kentucky and Georgia respectively.
- Family History of John Minish (?-1775): Dorchester County, Maryland, Researched and Contributed by Bill Minish, WHMinish@aol.com, Link
- Surry County, North Carolina Marriage Bonds
- North Carolina Census Records 1790-1840, 1850-1940
- "Pennsylvania, Philadelphia City Death Certificates, 1803-1915," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JDGX-G3J : 8 March 2018), Abraham Minick, 13 Apr 1821; citing 1605, Philadelphia City Archives and Historical Society of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia; FHL microfilm 1,903,129.
- Do you have Minish Ancestors? Sep 15, 2018.