Missing Links is an app designed to find people who are missing a relationship link to a parent, spouse, or child.
How to Use
- Go to the Missing Links app page.
- Fill out the form with a WikiTree ID and the number of steps you want the app to look through.
- Press the "Submit" button.
- Wait until the app processes information and a table of people appears.
- If you want to see more people, press the "More" button and the program will go another step.
- If you want to start at a new person, just replace the current information in the form and press "Submit".
What is a step?
A step is the same as a degree in the connection finder. See Help: Connection Finder.
The starting person is step 0. Step 1 is all of step 0's parents, siblings, spouses, and children. Step 2 would be all of step 1's parents, siblings, spouses, and children (that have not been found in previous steps). And so on.
How can I access Missing Links?
There are two ways you can access the Missing Links app.
- Click here.
- Click "[missing links]" next to any unconnected person with more than 1 connection on the Special:Unconnected page. This will automatically fill in the WikiTree ID and will search 3 steps.
What do the colors mean?
If a cell is highlighted in red that means that the app is almost certain that a link is missing. Cells highlighted in yellow are less certain.
X has all of their children attached. Why do they still show in the list?
A person with children will still show as needing children until the "no more children" box is checked. If the person has zero children and the box is not checked, the column will be red. If the person has one or more children and the box is not checked, the column will be yellow.
X has all of their spouses attached. Why do they still show in the list?
A person with a spouse will still show as needing a spouse until the "no spouse/no more spouses" box is checked. If the person has zero spouses and the box is not checked, the column will be red. If the person has one or more spouses and the box is not checked, the column will be yellow.
- Filters for the table
- birth year
- red / yellow
- show only people missing a father, mother, child, or spouse or some combination of those.
- Better printing layout
- Warn people if they aren't logged in and give them the option to sign in
If you have any questions, suggestions, or problems, send a message to Jamie.
- Amy Kelly for coming up with the "Missing Links" name.
- Chris Whitten for WikiTree and updating the API to include the "no children" flag.
- Everyone who gave feedback here.
- Login to request to the join the Trusted List so that you can edit and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)