Location: Whangarei, Northland, New Zealand
Surnames/tags: Cemeteries New_Zealand Whangarei
Mission Ground Cemetery
Mission Ground Cemetery is located at the end of Selwyn Ave, adjacent to the entrance of Whangarei Craft Quarry.
Although inter-denominational, the site was named the Mission Ground Cemetery as it was originally established by the Melanesian Missionary Society before falling under the jurisdiction of the Whangarei Borough Council. Sadly, the cemetery fell into neglect after burials stopped in 1940.
In the years that followed the headstones were removed and cemented to the concrete strip which can still be seen alongside the footpath. This solution was not popular and the site became known as Tombstone Alley. Later, the headstones were completely removed and many were buried at the Kioreroa Cemetery.
In 2011, a memorial was unveiled by members of the Whangarei community. Coinciding with the memorial, a book was also launched called 'In Memoriam, Mission Ground Cemetery 1840-2010'. Compiled and edited by Joan Leversedge, and designed by Whangarei District Council, the book is a collection of stories about the lives of those known to be buried at the Mission Ground cemetery.
As part of the Whangarei Council Historic Cemetery Programme, the site has had a bollard fence installed, trees planted and new signage.
- [www.findagrave.com/cemetery/2355819/mission-ground-cemetery Find-a-Grave] - This has 108 records
- BillionGraves This has 188 records
- Whangarei District Council Cemetery Database search