Location: Mortan, Cochran County, Texas, USA
Surname/tag: Cemetery, Cemeteries, Morton Texas, Cochran County Texas
Morton Memorial Cemetery
This free space page for the Morton Memorial Cemetery is part of WikiTree's Texas Cemeteries Project. The page has been created to document the life and times of the people who are interred there. The Texas Cemeteries Project is a sub-project of the larger U.S. Cemeteries Project. This cemetery is an active cemetery.
|Morton Memorial Cemetery
This page is a work in progress. It will remain so until the cemetery have been photographed and profiles created for each person interred here. Since this is an active cemetery, this will continue into the foreseeable future.
If the reader would like to assist in documenting this cemetery, please contact Charlie Vines or post comment below. Please contact me if you know a person interred in the cemetery who has an existing profile.
The Morton Memorial Cemetery is located near State Highway (SH) 214, about 1/2 mile north of Morton, Texas. .
GPS COORDINATES: 33.743780, -102.759050
From Muleshoe, travel south on SH 214 approximately 29 miles. The cemetery will is located on the right side of the road before entering Morton.
From Morton, travel north on SH 214 approximately 1/2 miles. The cemetery will is located on the left side of the road.
CEMETERY HISTORICAL MARKER
HISTORICAL TEXAS CEMETERY
TEXAS HISTORICAL COMMISSION
MORTON MEMORIAL CEMETERY
The use of this site as a burial cemetery began in 1923 when a traveling family camped here and their baby became ill and died. Other burials followed, and in 1932 landowner Morton J. Smith deeded ten acres to the city of Morton for cemetery use. An association was formed in 1942 and the site grew with additional land donations and purchases in subsequent years. It was designated a county facility in 1977, enabling the commissioners court to levy a cemetery tax to support the upkeep and maintenance of this hollowed ground that honors more that 300 veterans and is a chronicle of the heritage of Cochran County.
HISTORIC TEXAS CEMETERY - 2001 
BUFFALO SOLDIERS HISTORICAL MARKER
BUFFALO SOLDIER TRAGEDY OF 1877
African American Troops, known as Buffalo Soldiers, were vital in defending the Texas Frontier. On July 26, 1877, Buffalo Soldiers from Company A of the 10th Calvary began to pursue a Comanche party. During the pursuit, the Comanches led the troops away from water holes as the expedition traveled through Cochran County and other counties. After several days without water, Capt. Nicholas Nolan led his dehydrated soldiers and remaining animals back to Double Lakes in Lynn County; They arrived on July 30, having gone 86 hours without water. Several soldiers left camp in search of water and four died during the expedition: Pvt. John H. Bonds; Pvt. Isaac Derwin; Pvt. Johns Isaacs; and Pvt. John T. Gordon.
(2008) Marker is property of the state of Texas