upload image

Mount Moriah Church

Privacy Level: Open (White)
Date: 1842 to 1875
Location: Newton County, Mississippi, United Statesmap
Profile manager: Michelle Enke private message [send private message]
This page has been accessed 35 times.

Contents

History

Organization

Mount Moriah Presbyterian Church was organized in 1842 by the Reverends Jacob Rickhow and John H. Gray. The church was located in the "lower part of Newton County, about five miles from the Vicksburg and Meridian Railroad."[1] At first the church was a branch of the Mount Rose Church, and Dr. J. N. Waddel was the pastor.[1]

Membership

The church began with only ten members. Judge Thompson and H. McFarland were the first elders. The ministers included: Revs. J. B. Adams, T. D. King, T. McRea, Robert Bell, W. C. Emerson, S. J. Bingham, J. D. West, and J. W. Moseley.[1] Later, the membership rose to sixty-five or seventy members.

Closing

In 1875, the church was disorganized, and from its members three new churches were formed: Lawrence, Newton, and Garlandsville. By 1883, the original church building was in ruins.[1]

Sources

  1. 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 "Mount Moriah," South-Western Presbyterian (New Orleans, Louisiana), Thursday 8 March 1883, page 1, column 3. Newspapers.com : accessed 25 September 2018.




Collaboration
  • Login to edit this profile and add images.
  • Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
  • Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
Comments

Leave a message for others who see this profile.
There are no comments yet.
Login to post a comment.