About the Project
The Mounteer Name Study project serves as a collaborative platform to collect information on the Mounteer name. The hope is that other researchers like you will join the study to help make it a valuable reference point for other genealogists who are researching or have an interest in the Mounteer name.
As a One Name Study, this project is not limited to persons who are related biologically. Individual team studies can be used to branch out the research into specific methods and areas of interest, such as geographically (England Mounteers), by time period (18th Century Mounteers), or by topic (Mounteer DNA, Mounteer Occupations, Mounteer Statistics). These studies may also include a number of family branches which have no immediate link with each other. Some researchers may even be motivated to go beyond the profile identification and research stage to compile fully sourced, single-family histories of some of the families they discover through this name study project.
Also see the related surnames and surname variants.
How to Join
To join the Mounteer Name Study, first start out by browsing our current teams to see if there is a specific study ongoing that fits your interests. If so, feel free to add your name to the Membership list below, post an introduction comment on the specific team page, and then dive right in!
If a team does not yet exist for your particular area of interest, please contact the Name Study Coordinator: Vacant for assistance.
Once you are ready to go, you can also show your project affiliation with the ONS Member Sticker:
Teams / Research Pages
- William Mounteer (1942-2020) and descendants - Done creating 6 footnoted bio's for my 0, 1st and 2nd degree connections that were born, or women that married, Mounteers. Done except for 4 Mounteer Grandchildren too young to be on Wikitree at Oct 12th. As 5 of the 6 are still alive they have a privacy setting of unlisted. My father William Mounteer (Mounteer-17) has a privacy setting of private with Public Family Tree. I am keeping the biography private for now as there is a fair amount of information included about living people that I do not want to make public just yet. If you have any information about my father I'd love to hear from you. Done 3 1st degree connections that are Yoon's.
- Donald Mounteer (1917-2004) and descendants - Currently creating 0/4 footnoted bio's for my 2nd degree connections that were born, women that married or adopted Mounteers. All of these profiles are currently unlisted since they are still alive with the exception of my grandparents Brig Gen Donald Edwin Mounteer (1917-2004) (Mounteer-18) and Margaret Anna (Young) Mounteer (1917-2016) (Young-47768) who are private with public biographies and family trees. If you wish to be added to the trusted lists so that you can add information please let me know. Done 0/5 3rd and 4th degree connections that are Gauld's & Webber's. GOAL: End of November 2022 for all people.
- Next will be creating footnoted pages for my 3rd degree connections that were born, married or adopted Mounteers. This includes 11 people, 5 of the 11 are completely open to the public and 6 are unlisted since they are still alive. The 5 open to the public are my great grandparents William John Mounteer (1884-1935) (Mounteer-19) and Ethel Maude (Oatman) Mounteer (1887-1987) (Oatman-320) and my 3 Great Aunts Audrey Merle (Mounteer) Staples (1924-2008) (Mounteer-39), Dorothy Jean (Mounteer) Hellofs (1918-1969) (Mounteer-40) and Joan Katheryn (Mounteer) Barnes (1930-1977) (Mounteer-41). While I am already in contact with the children of Audrey and Joan, I have not managed to connect with anybody descended from Dorothy Hellofs yet and would love to hear from you if you see this. All Canadian. GOAL: End of December 2022
- Next will be creating footnoted pages for my 4th degree connections that were born, married or adopted Mounteers. This includes 5 people in Wikitree, my 2 GGGrandparents (Edwin Asa Mounteer 1860-1940 Mounteer-20 and Jennie Mae (Kerr) Mounteer 1858-1915 Kerr-10589 both open to the public) , the spouse of one of my first cousins (still alive so unlisted) and two adopted 1st cousins (still alive so unlisted), I still need to add in the siblings of William John Mounteer and their descendants unless you get there first and connect up your tree branches to mine. All Canadian. Goal: Next summer 2023 after Tax season when I am too busy to do things like this.
- Going out to 5th degree is not typed into Wikitree other than my 2 GGGGrandparents (John William Mounteer 1834-1913 Mounteer-21 and Eliza Ann (Tyndall) Mounteer 1831-1911 Tyndall-485 both open). I do not yet have Edwin Asa's siblings and their descendants typed in so if this is you I'd love to hear from you. All Canadian.
- Going out to the 6th degree is Elizabeth (Mounteer) Alderson 1846-1921 Mounteer-5 who is my 3rd great grand aunt. (managed by Janice Bradley (Bradley-4462)) I also have my 2 GGGGGrandparents William Mounteer 1806-1887 and Francis (Ogley) Mounteer 1806-1890 both open. These 3 were immigrants to Canada from the UK.
Mounteers have been added to the tree by me (19 of 37 profiles at Oct 2022/5 cross referenced - 26% done), Brent Miller (Miller-93781), Brenda Mounteer (Mounteer-27), Carol Burman (Aylett-166), Eric Harrington (Harrington-8555), Janice Bradley (Bradley-4462), Ian Robertson (Robertson-9826), Lauren Reed (Reed-9660), Jennifer Brunk (Brunk-199), Wendy Ham (Heron-623), Gweneth Mounteer (Mounteer-6)
- Example: Name - I am interested in the Mounteers of Europe during the 18th Century. I am hoping that this research will help me break down one of my brick walls!
- "Laurie Mounteer - I am working on all Mounteers descended from Anthony Mounteer (born 1720's/30's). I am starting from the bottom and working my way up creating biographies from the records and newspaper articles I have found. Currently working on William Mounteer (1942-2020) and his descendants. If you want to be added to the trusted list for any of these people please let me know. "