Surnames/tags: DNA mtDNA MitoYDNA
Uploading mtDNA results to mitoYDNA.org currently requires the Chrome browser with the mitoYDNA Chrome extension installed.
Once your results information is in mitoYDNA.org then your mitoYDNA.org ID can be added to your DNA Test information page in WikiTree. DNA test taker must enter their own DNA information (e.g. mitoYDNA.org ID) on their profile's DNA Test page. If the test taker is deceased, then someone who has access to the tester's Family Tree DNA account can upload to mitoYDNA and enter the deceased tester's mtDNA information (e.g. mitoYDNA ID) on the tester's DNA Test information page in WikiTree).
Install the Chrome browser
Instructions to install the Chrome browser If you have not done so already.
Install the mitoYDNA Chrome extension
Register at mitoYDNA.org
Register at mitoYDNA.org
Login to FTDNA
Sign into your “myFTDNA” page at Family Tree DNA
Make Note of:
- Your Family Tree DNA kit number.
- mtDNA Haplogroup reported in your FTDNA results
- Earliest known direct maternal line (matrilineal) ancestor’s name, date and place for her birth and death (enter 01 if day or month is unknown)
- A web address (URL) for her direct maternal line descendants (e.g. https://www.wikitree.com/treewidget/Unknown-255103/890)
Follow these instructions for downloading your mtDNA results into mitoYDNA.
Login to mitoYDNA.org
- Login to mitoYDNA.org
- On the menu bar at the top, click on Kits
- On the Kits page, click on the "Create New Kit" button
On the Create New Kit Page:
- Select kit type, then check the boxes to allow Law Enforcement, Medical, Research
- Select testing company (FTDNA)
- Select test type (mtDNA)
- Enter date test was taken
- For Testing Company ID enter FTDNA kit number
- Enter tester’s first name, last name
- Select that the Tester is 18 years of age or over
- Select tester's biological gender
- Enter the birth date, birth place, death date, death place, for the mtDNA tester’s earliest known direct maternal line (matrilineal) ancestor.
- In the URL to EKA Tree field enter the Web address for the direct matrilineal line descendant chart for the tester’s earliest known direct matrilineal line ancestor. (e.g. https://www.wikitree.com/treewidget/Unknown-255103/890 )
- Enter the tester’s reported mt haplogroup (e.g. H1b1-T16362C etc).
- In the Additional Information enter any clarifying notes or information such as which dates are estimated, unusual mtDNA differences (e.g. heteroplasmy), ancient origin for haplogroup, etc.
- Click on the Choose File button and navigate to where you downloaded the CSV file.
- Click on the Create button
- Go to the WikiTree DNA test Information page for you.
- Scroll to your mtDNA test and click on the "Edit or Enter More Details" button
- Scroll to the mitoYDNA ID field and enter your mitoYDNA ID
- Be sure that your WikiTree privacy level is set to "Private with Public Biography and Family Tree".
You are done!
- Do you have mtDNA results from Family Tree DNA? Jul 2, 2019.