Surnames/tags: slavery black_heritage Plantations
Mulberry Hill Plantation, which grew rice, and White Hall Plantation, which grew cotton, located in Bryan County, Georgia, had more than 130 slaves when Richard James Arnold Sr (1796-1873) took over in 1823. The plantations were part of his wife Louisa Caroline Gindrat's dowry. This inventory lists the names, ages and capabilities of his enslaved persons.
In the 1850 Slave Schedule census, Rich J Arnold was in District 20, Bryan, Georgia, United States. He owned 186 slaves.
"By 1860 Arnold was the largest landowner in Bryan County, with over 15,000 acres and 195 slaves. Arnold was an innovative planter, regarded as being well advanced for his times in terms of his business concepts, his application of scientific principles to his agricultural methods and techniques and his philosophy of plantation and slave management."
A handwritten list of his slaves from the Inventory of Slaves from Mulberry Hill and White Hall Plantations, Bryan County, Georgia, December 1823 can be found at White Hall and Mulberry Hill in 1823 and can be found at The Henry Ford Museum and online in the Henry Ford Digital Collections.
Slaves of Mulberry Hill Plantation
All the above hands at Mulbury Hill Dec 1823 refers to the following:
List of ? Workers
|Hard Timy||30 Years||F.|
Three Quarter & Half Hands
|Men & Women||Age Sick||Remarks|
|Billy 3/4||60 Years|
|Harriet 1/2||50 Years|
|Cate 1/2||60 Years|
|Pate 1/2||60 Years (man)|
|Moll 3/4||50 Years|
|Chloe 1/2||45 Years|
|Ned 3/4||17 Years|
|Nero 70 Does nothing|
|O. Kate Nurse|
|O. Nancy Nurse|
|Pompey||7 years old|
|Billy||4 years old|
|Phebe||3 years old|
|Maria, Infant||1 mo old||x|
|Adriy||10 years old|
|Venus||5 years old|
|Sally, Infant ?||1 years old||x|
|Davy, child of Nancy||2 years old||?|
|Pato||1 years old|
|Mary||4 years old|
|Jacob||5 years old|
|Harrick||6 years old|
|Pressey||8 years old|
|Lucy||4 years old|
|Joe||8 years old|
|Stephen||8 years old|
|Charley||4 years old|
|Peter||2 years old|
|George||5 years old|
|Pudly||3 years old|
|?ldy, Infant||3 mos|
|Lincho||12 years old|
|Cain||8 years old|
|Rachel||4 years old|
|Chloe, Infant||3 mos|
|Phillis||8 years old|
- ↑ Historical Marker Database for Richard James Arnold
- ↑ https://www.thehenryford.org/collections-and-research/digital-collections/artifact/176006/#slide=gs-363312
"1850 U.S. Federal Census - Slave Schedules"
The National Archive in Washington Dc; Washington, DC; NARA Microform Publication: M432; Title: Seventh Census of the United States, 1850; Record Group: Records of the Bureau of the Census; Record Group Number: 29
Ancestry Sharing Link - Ancestry Record 8055 #92116275 (accessed 6 March 2023)
Rich J Arnold in District 20, Bryan, Georgia, USA.
"1860 U.S. Federal Census - Slave Schedules"
The National Archives in Washington DC; Washington DC, USA; Eighth Census of the United States 1860; Series Number: M653; Record Group: Records of the Bureau of the Census; Record Group Number: 29
Ancestry Sharing Link - Ancestry Record 7668 #92499510 (accessed 6 March 2023)
R J Arnold in Bryan, Georgia, USA.
- ↑ Coastal Bryan Heritage Trail, Section on Richard James Arnold (http://www.richmondhillhistoricalsociety.com/history-driving-trail.html)
- ↑ Inventory of Slaves from Mulberry Hill and White Hall Plantations, Bryan County, Georgia, December 1823(https://www.thehenryford.org/collections-and-research/digital-collections/artifact/176006/#slide=gs-363312).
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)