Surnames/tags: Source-A-Thon Pre-1500 challenges
- This page is part of the Data Doctors Project.
- Latest report: November 26th 2023.
- Data Doctors Challenge: GEDCOM_Data_XLII and .
- Custom reports by: Suggestion lists, Unsourced lists, Unconnected lists.
- See for custom reports and statistics and our Video Collection.
- Latest ProjectBox Report: Project Report
- Latest Categories Report: Categories Suggestions Report
This page is for the Source-a-Thon team only. Click here for other Musty Dusty Team page.
- The event starts on Friday, September 29 at 8AM EDT (Noon UTC) and runs until Monday, October 2 at 8AM EDT (Noon UTC)
- Sign Up G2G
- Source-a-Thon Hangouts
- Tracking By Team and User
- What Do I Do?
Taken from the Source-a-Thon page:
Participating means removing profiles from the Unsourced Profiles category. They cannot be profiles that you created.
Select an Open (white) profile from anywhere in the category or one of its subcategories and search for sources to back up the facts of the person's life.
See the Pre-1500 Resource page, for some suggested sources. A source cannot be another family tree, such as Geni or an Ancestry Member Tree.
If you find a valid source:
|If you find a valid source:|| |
Visit the Source-a-Thon Instruction Video
for a step-by-step walkthrough of these instructions.
If you don't find a source after searching, please add a Research Notes section to the profile. Say where you have looked and sign your comment with four tildes (~~~~) so it is dated. For example: "Looked for John in the US Census records for 1900-1940 and couldn't find him on FamilySearch or Ancestry." This way the next researcher knows where to start.
- Lists of Unsourced Profiles
Here is the official list of Unsourced profiles for the current Source-a-Thon. There are lists for European countries and for England counties. Select the list for the area you are planning to work. Click on the number in the 0000-0000 or the 0001-1499 columns to find pre-1500 unsourced profiles.
- Gedcom list
I'm sure there is no shortage of profiles for the Musty Dusty to work on for Source A Thon. I've been going through GEDCOM (to find profiles for other teams), and the gedfile 104-B.ged has lots of pre1500 profiles.
I can send you a CSV generated using BioCheck (or instructions to create it). I looked at the CSV and there were 713 profiles born before 1500. Assuming the BioCheck sources review is fairly accurate (has been for other GEDCOM), 393 profiles are possibly unsourced but not marked. There are 224 profiles marked Unsourced and another 97 probably sourced.
Okay, here's instructions to create the report. Start BioCheck https://apps.wikitree.com/apps/sands1865/biocheck/ then select WikiTree+ Search Results. Use the search text gedfile=104-B.ged and set Max Search Profiles, Max to Check, and Max to report to 5000. For Profiles to report, select Profiles for Review. Click Check Profiles. This may take 15 minutes or so. When done you can download CSV.
Glad I could help. I found this because we have a list of (some) GEDCOM for the GEDImprove (GEDI) "challenge". (See Space:GEDImprove and https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Lb3xHy9X2lIYuFhSSjke18KQ0-SUQUX8oc070d66Qog/edit#gid=223695659).
We've been going through the (larger) list of GEDCOM to see if there are some that would be good to add to the GEDI list for the SourceAThon. Obviously, only a few folks would be interested in the Pre-1500, but the GEDCOM often have other profiles that might be of interest. We can add to the list of GEDCOM (but don't want too many). Here's the list of ones we've found that have pre1500, along with some other notes about the GEDCOM. Let me know if you want any added. Since these are on the GEDI list, all were imported by a PM who no longer has an active account. The Bwiki has a number of folks who migrated from England to Utah as Morman pioneers.
- GEDCOM Import Date Status Profiles Project Locations / Comments Profiles to Improve Suggest Style Unsourced Maybe Good for SAT?
- 104-B.ged 2010 4019 Lost & Found France, England, Netherlands; Many Pre-1500 3110 1610 2739 446 1647 Maybe
- breesefam.ged 2011 3076 Many Pre-1500; many Pre-1700 2259 899 1894 372 1571 Maybe; 161 undated
- Bwiki.ged 2011 3616 England, United States (Utah), Iceland; Many Pre1500/1700 2892 1201 2508 374 2211 No; 524 undated
- FAMILY_6162011.GED 2011 3375 United States, England; many Pre-1500 1231 1155 355 388 629 No; 124 undated
- FISCUS_Family_Tree.ged 2011 1686 England, United States; many Pre-1500 951 492 197 305 529 No
- me_2013-04-04.ged 2013 958 England, Canada, many pre-1500 2415 201 1082 373 1726 no - 1500 private, many with no dates
- paul_clare_family_tree_(1).ged 2011 1078 England, many Pre-1500 905 290 834 131 419 no
- Smith-Hunter.ged 2011 4110 England, France, United States, several pre-1500 3255 1094 3000 327 2127 yes
From Kay (Sands) Knight - Thank you Kay
- The event starts on Friday, September 30 at 8AM EDT (Noon UTC) and runs until Monday, October 3 at 8AM EDT (Noon UTC)
- G2G - Sign up
- Source-a-Thon Hangouts
- Tracking By Team and User
- Rich Devlin - Co Captain
- Marty (Lenover) Acks - Co Captain
- Debra (Downs) Allison
- Ron Lamoreaux
- John Atkinson
- Starts Friday, October 1 at 8 AM (ET) and ends Monday, October 4, 8 AM (ET)
- [https://www.This page is for the Source-a-Thon team only. Click here for other Musty Dusty Team page.
October 2 - October 5 is our fifth "Source-a-Thon".
The party starts Friday morning, October 2, at 8 AM (ET) and runs until Monday, October 5, at 8 AM (ET). (Eastern Daylight Time is GMT -4.) -4.)
|Marty Acks||Scotland (Renfrewshire, Ayrshire focus)|
|Richard Devlin||♣ Ireland ♣|
|Chris Gilbert||England midland counties and maybe south west|
- Musty Dusty Source-A-Thon 2020 Chat Oct 2, 2020.