Naismith House, as it is now known, is located at 4968 County Road 29, on the north side of Almonte, Ontario. It is a one-and-a-half storey stone building that was constructed in 1850. The property and building are protected by an Ontario Heritage Trust conservation easement. (Canada’s Historic Places website) A provincial historic plaque was erected at the site in 1965. (Canada’s Historic Places) The property was also designated under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act by the former Township of Ramsay in By-law #89-1797, in 1989. (Canada’s Historic Places) The house is associated with early local settler Robert Young, basketball inventor James Naismith, and physical education pedagogue R. Tait McKenzie (Canada’s Historic Places). In 1850, Robert Young built the house, replacing the original structure, for his wife and 11 children.