Name Field Guidelines
WikiTree's general name field guidelines say to "use their conventions instead of ours." Determining what someone used as their "Last Name at Birth" (LNAB) can be difficult, but a decision must be made because WikiTree profiles are uniquely identified based on their LNAB (e.g., Sample-7 was the seventh profile created with "Sample" in the LNAB field). To determine what to use in the LNAB field, WikiTree says that for people who "could fit within an established project consult with the project members and refer to project-specific style guides."
WikiTree's Style Guide — the formatting standards and style conventions that our community has evolved — includes links to several pages related to Name Field Guidelines (under "N"), but not all. This page was created to offer those links and others in a consolidated list, along with a link to the WikiTree project that created the guideline (if applicable).
- Familles acadiennes
- Acadians Project FAQs (about name fields, "dit" names)
- Danish Naming Conventions and Related Wikitree Name Field Guidelines
- Indonesia Profile Conventions
- Louisiana Families/Louisiana Categories projects
- Native American Naming Conventions
- Southern Colonies Naming Conventions and Category Standards
- Spanish Naming Conventions
- Working page: Irish Naming Standards, Irish Roots project. See this G2G discussion & also this one.
- Japanese Names, G2G discussion; Japanese Royals, G2G discussion
- Muslim Naming Conventions - G2G discussion
- Note - many G2G discussions are now including the tag naming_conventions, but discussions also are tagged names, surnames, LNAB, and style. For discussions of what to call a place, see the tag place_names.
- new Naming Convention page... Space:Spanish Naming conventions Nov 30, 2016.
- how do you enter the first name of a spouse if the last names is unknown? Aug 2, 2016.
- Naming Guidelines for French Aristocrats? Should "de" be in LNAB? Jun 23, 2016.
- Non-US naming conventions Jan 1, 2016.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On 10 Jun 2019 at 21:06 GMT Jerry Corkins wrote:
On 14 Jul 2018 at 01:38 GMT Liz (Noland) Shifflett wrote:
On 3 Jul 2018 at 15:22 GMT Liz (Noland) Shifflett wrote:
On 3 Jul 2018 at 15:18 GMT Liz (Noland) Shifflett wrote:
On 3 Jul 2018 at 14:57 GMT Liz (Noland) Shifflett wrote:
There's also a more recent, profile-specific G2G post.
On 3 Jul 2018 at 14:36 GMT Liz (Noland) Shifflett wrote:
On 3 Jul 2018 at 13:24 GMT I (Rassinot) R wrote:
Please consider adding French naming conventions to this space - it's already linked from the French Roots project page and I believe would be suitable for the French-speaking part of Belgium as well. Thank you ! Isabelle
On 3 Jul 2018 at 00:14 GMT Anonymous Moore wrote:
On 2 Jul 2018 at 16:20 GMT Liz (Noland) Shifflett wrote:
On 1 Jul 2018 at 01:51 GMT Valerie Willis wrote: