Netley Abbey was founded in 1239 by Cistercian Monks from Beaulieu Abbey in the New Forest at the instigation of Peter des Roches, Bishop of Winchester. The Foundation was adopted by the king, Henry III and in 1251 he granted the abbot and convent free warren in their demesne lands of Netley, Hound, Shotteshal (now Satchell), and Sholing. A weekly Monday market was also granted in their manor of Hound.
When the smaller monasteries were dissolved in 1536 by Henry VIII the monks went to Bealieu and the manor and Abbey were eventually granted to William Paulet, Marquess of Winchester. He died in 1572 and his son and heir, John Paulet 2nd Marquess mortgaged the manor. The manor passed to John's son, William Paulet in 1576, and to his son Thomas in 1598. Thomas sold the manor to Edward Seymour earl of Hertford in 1602. Hertford's grandson William Seymour was the next owner and his grandson, another William inherited in 1660. With his early death in 1671 the manor passed to his sister, Elizabeth and was sold to Henry Somerset, Marquess of Worcester in 1676. By 1718 it had been sold on to Sir Berkeley Lucy and by 1765 to Mr Thomas Lee Dummer. In 1766 it was purchased by William Chamberlayne, succeeded by his son, William in 1775. He died childless in 1830 and the manor passed to his cousin, Thomas Chamberlayne and then to Thomas' son Tankerville. In 1922 Tankerville passed the Abbey into the care of the state. It is now in the care of English Heritage.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)