Location: New Bloomington, Marion County, Ohio, United States
Surnames/tags: Dutton Fourth_of_July
Information about and photographs of New Bloomington, Ohio. Previously called Agosta. I want to collect a surname list of people who lived there as tags, and the year and subject of photographs taken there as tags.
This page should be considered a work in progress, because it will take some time to collect the information I want to include.
New Bloomington is a small village in Montgomery Township, Marion County, Ohio.
According to Ohio Towns Names, by Daniel Overmon:
- NEW BLOOMINGTON, on Rt. 95 in Marion County, was platted in 1856. It was first called Carey Station for Wingate Carey, who, with Armstrong Smallwood and C.A. Darlington laid out the town. It has also at one time or another been called Belfast and Agosta.
|New Bloomington, 1878.|
You can see that many members of the Carey family owned property there in 1878.
|Carey property in New Bloomington|
|Another view of property owners in New Bloomington.|
The name Agosta persists in the name of a cemetery in New Bloomington. The last name change to New Bloomington occurred before 1878.
The name change seemed to happen slowly, because this 1910 highway map still uses "Agosta".
|1910 Highway Map, "Agosta"|
|Fourth of July Gathering, 1 (1883 or 1884)|
|Fourth of July Gathering, 2 (1883 or 1884)|
|Fourth of July Gathering, 3 (1883 or 1884)|
Marion County, Ohio on Google Maps:
New Bloomington on Google Maps:
Agosta Cemetery on Google Maps:
- Overman, W. Daniel. (1959). Ohio towns names. Akron, Ohio: [Atlantic Press] 1958.
- (link to book) http://hdl.handle.net/2027/mdp.39015015361465
- (p. 95) http://hdl.handle.net/2027/mdp.39015015361465?urlappend=%3Bseq=111
- ITEM #US20497, Grand Township, New Bloomington, Morral, From Marion County, 1878, Ohio, Published by Harrison, Sutton and Hare in 1878.
- ITEM #US20505, Montgomery Township, From Marion County 1878, Ohio, Published by Harrison, Sutton and Hare in 1878
- ITEM #US1250670, Marion County, From Ohio State Highway Maps 1910, Ohio, Published by State Highway Department of Ohio in 1910
- (link) http://www.historicmapworks.com/Map/US/1250670/Marion+County/Ohio+State+Highway+Maps+1910/Ohio/