upload image

New Jersey, Crane Name Study

Privacy Level: Open (White)
Date: [unknown] [unknown]
Location: [unknown]
Surname/tag: Crane
This page has been accessed 29 times.
This profile is part of the Crane Name Study.

Cranes in New Jersey

Richard Teller Crane, founder of R.T.Crane and Bro.

Research Further:

Essex County

Research Further:

Cranetown

Cranetown is now Montclair Township, Essex County, New Jersey. Research further:

Newark

Stephen Crane author of "Red Badge of Courage"

In 1637, a group of London merchants and their families moved to Boston with the intention of creating a new settlement. The leaders were John Davenport, a Puritan minister, and Theophilus Eaton, a wealthy merchant who brought £3000 to the venture. Both had experience in fitting out vessels for the Massachusetts Bay Company. The two ships that they chartered arrived in Boston on June 26, 1637.

On October 23, 1643, New Haven was combined with the independent towns of Milford and Guilford and named New Haven Colony. Eaton served as governor until his death in 1658.

The colony's success soon attracted other believers, as well as those who were not Puritans. They expanded into additional towns (called plantations), establishing Milford and Guilford on the mainland in 1639, and Stamford and Southold on the North Fork of Long Island in 1640, forming the original component of the confederation which called itself the United Colonies of New England. Branford joined in 1643 and was the last official plantation in the New Haven Confederation. They based their government on that of Massachusetts Bay Colony.

For more on the origins of Newark, see: "New Haven Colony and Newark" for history and "The Changing Landscape of Newark" for maps.

Research further:

Morris County

Morristown

Arnold's Tavern, Washington's Headquarters.

The first permanent European settlement at Morristown occurred in 1715, when a settlement was founded as New Hanover by migrants from New York and Connecticut. Morris County was created on March 15, 1739, from portions of Hunterdon County. The county, and ultimately Morristown itself, was named for the popular Governor of the Province, Lewis Morris, who championed benefits for the colonists.

George Washington first came to Morristown in May 1773, two years before the Revolutionary War broke out, and traveled from there to New York City together with John Parke Custis (his stepson) and Lord Stirling.

In 1777, General George Washington and the Continental Army marched from the victories at Trenton and Princeton to encamp near Morristown from January to May. Washington had his headquarters during that first encampment at Jacob Arnold's Tavern located at the Morristown Green in the center of the town.

For more, see:

Sussex County

The Old Clove Church.


After the French and Indian war there was a border dispute between the Province of New Jersey and New York. This was the New Jersey-New York line war. This boundary line was settled in 1769. So the northern border of Sussex County was established at the confluence of the Neversink River and Delaware River at Port Jervis, New York going on a southeast angle to the Hudson River. There is a stone in the Delaware River to mark the border where the three states meet.

The area of Sussex county has historically belonged to :

  • 1694 – 1714 - Burlington County
  • 1714 – 1739 - Hunterdon County
  • 1739 – 1753 – Morris County
  • 1753 – present – Sussex County

Research Further:

Union County

Elizabethtown

View Near Elizabethtown, New Jersey

The Elizabethtown Tract was a property that was purchased on October 28, 1664, by John Baily, Daniel Denton and Luke Watson from the Native Americans that is in the area of (and surrounding) present-day Elizabeth, New Jersey. See: Elizabethtown Tract

Elizabethtown Township was formed on October 31, 1693, while the area was still within Essex County. Elizabeth was incorporated as one of New Jersey's initial 104 townships by the Township Act of 1798 Act of the New Jersey Legislature on February 21, 1798. Portions of the township were taken to form Westfield Township (January 27, 1794), Springfield Township (April 14, 1794), Rahway Township (February 27, 1804) and Clinton Township (April 14, 1834).[1]

On March 13, 1855, the City of Elizabeth was created, combining and replacing both Elizabeth Township and Elizabeth Borough. With the creation of the City of Elizabeth, Elizabeth Township was dissolved.

Research further:

Westfield

The Crane-Phillips House.

The name of Westfield is derived from its location in the western, undeveloped fields of the "Elizabethtown Tract". The old village area, now the downtown district, was settled in 1720. Westfield was formed as a township on January 27, 1794.

The township of Cranford (est. 1871) was originally "Cranes Ford". See: "Cranford History"

For further research, see:



This is an "orphaned" profile — there's no Profile Manager to watch over it. Please adopt this profile.


Collaboration
  • Login to edit this profile and add images.
  • Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)


Comments

Leave a message for others who see this profile.
There are no comments yet.
Login to post a comment.