upload image

New Matamoras, Ohio

Privacy Level: Open (White)
Date: [unknown] [unknown]
Location: [unknown]
This page has been accessed 63 times.

In 1797, James Riggs and his two son-in-laws were the first permanent settlers on the site of Matamoras. James Riggs, Martin and Anthony Sheets feared the hostile Indians and therefore camped on the Vriginia side of the river. They cleared the land and built cabins. Many of the other first settlers were Revolutionary War Veterans.

Grandview Township was orginially part of Newport Township, but in 1803 Grandview Township was created from Newport Township. Matamoras Village was named for Matamoros, Mexico. In the spring of 1846 the Mexican Army was driven back to Matamoras by Zachary Taylor's troops. The Matamoras Village was incorporated in 1861. However, the U.S. Post Office Department insisted it be called New Matamoras to avoid confusion with a small town, Metamora, in Fulton County.

Sources

See also:



This is an "orphaned" profile — there's no Profile Manager to watch over it. Please adopt this profile.


Collaboration
  • Login to edit this profile and add images.
  • Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)


Comments

Leave a message for others who see this profile.
There are no comments yet.
Login to post a comment.