Educational Project Proposal
Now that we are in the Wikitree Year of Accuracy we would like to propose a new, top-level functional Project aimed at helping both new and existing WikiTree members improve both their technical and research skills as they relate to WikiTree Genealogy. Due to the nature of the project, teaching and administrative project members would need to be Leaders/Team members with an interest in teaching, guiding or otherwise helping members improve their skills.
The Project's mission is to assist new and existing WikiGenealogists obtain the skills needed to create and/or improve the accuracy of profiles, and to be successful on WikiTree's platform.
The Project's goals include, but are not limited to:
- Reduce the number of New Member Help Requests
- Reduce the number of Mentor Intervention Requests
- Reduce the number of pre-1700 profiles created without sources
- Improve the accuracy of new profiles at their creation
- Improve the accuracy of existing profiles through improved technical and research skills
Organization of Proposed Project
- Project Leaders: Amy Gilpin and Doug McCallum
- Project PC: TBA (To be appointed)
- Project Liaisons: Appointed by Project Leaders
- Project Team Leaders: TBC (To be chosen)
Proposed Joining Process
There would be three (3) possible entry streams to this project:
- All new members joining WikiTree would be directed here by the Greeters Project
- Members who may require extra help would be directed here by the Mentors Project
- Existing members could request to join voluntarily
- Stream 1:
- A brand new member joins WikiTree. They have little to no experience with genealogy.
- A recently joined member is struggling with WikiTree basics
- Any member directed to the Project via Mentors/Mediators for help with technical skills.
- Stream 2:
- An existing member is making mistakes in style/standards
- Any member who is struggling to understand the reasoning behind a particular policy
- Stream 3:
- Any member who is interested in advancing their skills and knowledge
Proposed Learning Experience
There would be two streams for members to follow:
- Learning WikiTree: Requires matching a Student to a Teacher. The student would then follow a prescribed Learning stream that would teach basic skills, navigation, and policy. Each student would be required to complete a defined number of compulsory lessons and achieve an overall grade of 75% in order to graduate.
- Advanced Learning: A self-directed stream. The student would select an elective lesson, work through the material and submit their lesson assignments for review by a Tutor. The tutor would then provide feedback, make any suggestions for improvement, and provide a Pass once the student achieves sufficient knowledge.
Proposed Learning Material
The project will make use of appropriate, existing How-To pages, Video Tutorials and Help Pages. Any material not covered would need to be developed and approved by the Project Leaders before implementation. Having a standardized lesson format will allow all members to have access to the same information.
Existing How-To Pages and Videos
- Login to request to the join the Trusted List so that you can edit and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Amy Gilpin and Doug McCallum. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)