upload image

New Sweden Churches - images and architectural history

Privacy Level: Open (White)
Date: [unknown] [unknown]
Location: New Swedenmap
Surname/tag: New Sweden
Profile manager: Jim Angelo private message [send private message]
This page has been accessed 181 times.

Categories: New Sweden | Gloria Dei (Old Swedes') Church, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

Contents

Introduction

This page, as currently implemented, contains only photos and brief historical and architectural information about these churches. The individual photos and/or the sections for each church may be linked to other profiles (or from other profiles), as may be useful. See also the New Sweden Project and its list of churches.

Churches founded as Swedish Lutheran, 1637 to 1776

New Jersey Churches

St. George's Episcopal Church, Pennsville, New Jersey

A Swedish-Lutheran congregation was established east of the Delaware River in 1703. St. Georges was established in 1714 on land donated by Jean Jacquette. This brick building was erected in 1808, replacing the original log church dedicated in 1717. The steeple was added during an 1877 renovation.

St. George's Episcopal Church, Pennsville, NJ
St. George's Episcopal Church - sign
Trinity Episcopal "Old Swedes" Church, Swedesboro, New Jersey

The church at "Raccoon" (Swedesboro) shared a minister with St. George's at Penn's Neck (Pennsville) for its early history, but maintained its own log building. The current brick building was built in 1783-86, after the end of the American Revolution. The tower and steeple were completed in 1839.

Trinity Episcopal "Old Swedes" - sign
Trinity Episcopal "Old Swedes" - east side
Trinity Episcopal "Old Swedes" - north side
Trinity Episcopal "Old Swedes" - west side

Pennsylvania Churches

Gloria Dei ("Old Swedes") Episcopal Church, Philadelphia

The original Swedish Lutheran congregation at Tinicum began also using a site at Wicaco in 1677. Both sites were used until the present building on the Wicaco site was consecrated on the First Sunday after Trinity, July 2, 1700. It is the oldest church in Pennsylvania and a National Historic site. The steeple was completed in 1703 and in 1704 "porches" were added on the north and south sides to buttress the walls.

Gloria Dei, Philadelphia, PA - west side
Gloria Dei, Philadelphia, PA - south side
Gloria Dei: Churchyard
Iinterior view from west (entry)
Interior - view from east (sacristy)
Closer view of organ, cherubs, & boat
Detail of Cherubs & bible
Model of The Fogel Grip
Model of the Kalmar Nyckel
Wooden carving of the angel Gabriel
Baptismal Font




Collaboration